Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2003 4:10:46 PM EDT
I recently purchased a new Colt Bolt and Carrier assembly on E-bay.  It appears new in every way.  The rear bottom portion is milled off like the standard AR15; however, the ramp that pushes the hammer down is like that of an M16.  All AR-15 carriers I have seen before have a steep cut in the ramp area that allows the hammer to catch the fireing pin in the event the disconnector is removed to prevent slam/automatic fire.  Does anyone know if Colt is no longer machining the carrier with the steep cut, or is this an M16 carrier that someone partially reworked and reparkerized?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2003 9:57:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Troy!  The assembly appears new, but I was hoping is was not an M16 carrier that someone modified.  Knowing that Colt is now making them this way makes me more comfortable with the purchase.

Thanks again,

M4it
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 2:36:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Be happy[:D] If Colt has finally wised up to the fact that the darned exposed firing fin thing is silly, we're all better off.

Troy is absolutely right.  I have believed for years that the closer you can get to the weight of the M16 bolt/carrier assy in an AR, the better off you are.  Tht's why all my ARs, except one, have M16 carriers, with the shoulders milled back just far enough to not be able to trip an auto sear. And I have another one on the way to replace the one AR cutaway piece I do have.[:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Be happy[:D] If Colt has finally wised up to the fact that the darned exposed firing fin thing is silly, we're all better off.

Troy is absolutely right.  I have believed for years that the closer you can get to the weight of the M16 bolt/carrier assy in an AR, the better off you are.  Tht's why all my ARs, except one, have M16 carriers, with the shoulders milled back just far enough to not be able to trip an auto sear. And I have another one on the way to replace the one AR cutaway piece I do have.[:D]
View Quote

Can anyone tell me where I can buy a milled (legal)M16 carrier like this?
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 12:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Part #: SP63162
Description: BOLT CARRIER & KEY ASSY., L/E SEMI, M16 COCKING ANGLE PROTECTED FIRING PIN
Price: 150.00
http://www.sawlesales.com/
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Part #: SP63162
Description: BOLT CARRIER & KEY ASSY., L/E SEMI, M16 COCKING ANGLE PROTECTED FIRING PIN
Price: 150.00
http://www.sawlesales.com/
View Quote

This is the New carrier from Colt, but it still has the shaved off rear on it (Half Circle). Not close enough to an M16 carrier in weight.

Supposedly the newest RRA carriers have the firing pin protected and have a Full Circle in the rear of the carrier. Check with Pete at Legal Transfers he is carrying them. This would be the closest thing to a semi-legal M16 carrier available off the shelf.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#8]
You might also want to check w/DPMS. I just bought one of their complete lowers last week, and it came with an un-notched hammer. Made me happy, since I now don't have to go and buy another M16 hammer and cut the full auto hook off the back.  Excellent out of the box trigger pull too[:D]

If they're taking the notch off the hammer, I'd expect that their carriers aren't milled under the firing pin.  Really, though, it's not that big a job to take an M16 carrier, and cut the shoulder back. 5-10 minutes with a small grinding wheel in an electric drill, and that's if you work slow, like me[:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 4:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Supposedly the newest RRA carriers have the firing pin protected and have a Full Circle in the rear of the carrier.
View Quote
The upper I got in January had a carrier like this.  
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#10]
As of 10:41pm PST there is a Colt bolt and carrier assembly available on E-Bay.  This is the same guy "Oldgunner" that I bought mine from and it has the enclosed fireing pin area.  It has a buy-it-now price of $135.00.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top