Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
AR Sponsor
11/21/2018 10:48:54 AM EDT
Anyone used the SD version of the Radian Raptor for an extended period of time? I'm interested in understanding if these hold up to moderate use/ light abuse.

I'm also curious if these wear on the upper receiver differently compared to a standard charging handle.
11/21/2018 12:27:05 PM EDT
[#1]
The PRI Gas Buster does a far better job venting gas and the SD design is pretty whack if you ask me both in strength and secondary function . I just stick with Gas Busters and standard raptors.
11/21/2018 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Quote History
Quoted:
The PRI Gas Buster does a far better job venting gas and the SD design is pretty whack if you ask me both in strength and secondary function . I just stick with Gas Busters and standard raptors.
View Quote
Do you actually know of any reported failures with this design?  I have not heard of any failures, Radian makes well designed stuff.

OP, the gas buster is unbeatable if your goal is less gas in the face.  I run Raptor SD’s, I think they help a little bit don’t expect that to eliminate gas to the face.
11/21/2018 12:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Quoted:
Do you actually know of any reported failures with this design?  I have not heard of any failures, Radian makes well designed stuff.

OP, the gas buster is unbeatable if your goal is less gas in the face.  I run Raptor SD’s, I think they help a little bit don’t expect that to eliminate gas to the face.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
The PRI Gas Buster does a far better job venting gas and the SD design is pretty whack if you ask me both in strength and secondary function . I just stick with Gas Busters and standard raptors.
Do you actually know of any reported failures with this design?  I have not heard of any failures, Radian makes well designed stuff.

OP, the gas buster is unbeatable if your goal is less gas in the face.  I run Raptor SD’s, I think they help a little bit don’t expect that to eliminate gas to the face.
Not of breakage per se, but it does inherently weaken the CH in that area. Its failures I've heard about is how it just doesn't vent gas well at all due to the location they went with for "venting"

I've been saying for a bit now I wish there was a CH with Raptor handles and the PRI gas tunnels
11/21/2018 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm interested in the asthetics of the handle specifically.  I personally don't notice blowback on my rifle, but I figured I would get the SD since I am running suppressed and some of my range buddies do notice when they use it. My understanding of performance based on reviews is that most people notice some reduction in blowback.

Reason I asked is because I will just get the standard aluminum Raptor CH if there are any patterns of reports of people having issues with excessive wear with the SD, or any other issues.
11/21/2018 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I've been running them since it was called the Freedom Bone, no issues thus far.
11/21/2018 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I used the SD for quite a while in my CQBR and had no issues. The venting cuts aren't really in a high load area and I noticed no signs of unusual or increased wear in the upper receiver channel. If anything, the fact the portion of the SD that rides in the upper channel is square actually lends to keeping it straight and not distorting as much when blade or palm charging (compared to a traditionally cut CH). With traditionally cut CHs I notice uneven wear to the channel portion of the CH, while the SD showed little if any uneven wear. To summarize, I wouldn't have any real concerns about its strength; I used mine pretty hard and had no complaints.

Now, as for its suitability at reducing gas to the face when shooting suppressed, I'd say it's pretty mixed. My experience is that when you're firing a very dirty gun, the SD does a great job... but otherwise it's not even close to the effectiveness of a Gas Buster. I think the SD might work quite well if combined with an RTV seal job, but I haven't confirmed that. It seems that if a little extra sealing is accomplished by the gun being dirty, the vents are able to slow the gas enough to nearly eliminate gas in the face completely. In a clean gun... er, not so much.

I've since switched back to a Gas Buster due to the inconsistent performance of the SD at relieving gas in the face. That said, in all other areas besides mitigating gas, I think the SD is superior to a GB.
11/21/2018 9:44:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one SD on a suppressed 300 black out gun with only 1500-1750 rounds through it.  I have never had a problem.  I have several other raptor styles on other guns and have not had an issue.  I have a PRI gas buster on a 9mm ar with several thousand rounds and it does a better job of deflecting suppressor blow back but isn't ambi and isn't as easy to grab onto.

11/22/2018 2:08:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Gasbuster is my favorite by far, even with the roll pin being a bit of a weak point.
11/22/2018 3:20:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Quote History
Quoted:
I used the SD for quite a while in my CQBR and had no issues. The venting cuts aren't really in a high load area and I noticed no signs of unusual or increased wear in the upper receiver channel. If anything, the fact the portion of the SD that rides in the upper channel is square actually lends to keeping it straight and not distorting as much when blade or palm charging (compared to a traditionally cut CH). With traditionally cut CHs I notice uneven wear to the channel portion of the CH, while the SD showed little if any uneven wear. To summarize, I wouldn't have any real concerns about its strength; I used mine pretty hard and had no complaints.

Now, as for its suitability at reducing gas to the face when shooting suppressed, I'd say it's pretty mixed. My experience is that when you're firing a very dirty gun, the SD does a great job... but otherwise it's not even close to the effectiveness of a Gas Buster. I think the SD might work quite well if combined with an RTV seal job, but I haven't confirmed that. It seems that if a little extra sealing is accomplished by the gun being dirty, the vents are able to slow the gas enough to nearly eliminate gas in the face completely. In a clean gun... er, not so much.

I've since switched back to a Gas Buster due to the inconsistent performance of the SD at relieving gas in the face. That said, in all other areas besides mitigating gas, I think the SD is superior to a GB.
View Quote
Exactly the input I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.
11/22/2018 1:25:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quote History
Quoted:
Exactly the input I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I used the SD for quite a while in my CQBR and had no issues. The venting cuts aren't really in a high load area and I noticed no signs of unusual or increased wear in the upper receiver channel. If anything, the fact the portion of the SD that rides in the upper channel is square actually lends to keeping it straight and not distorting as much when blade or palm charging (compared to a traditionally cut CH). With traditionally cut CHs I notice uneven wear to the channel portion of the CH, while the SD showed little if any uneven wear. To summarize, I wouldn't have any real concerns about its strength; I used mine pretty hard and had no complaints.

Now, as for its suitability at reducing gas to the face when shooting suppressed, I'd say it's pretty mixed. My experience is that when you're firing a very dirty gun, the SD does a great job... but otherwise it's not even close to the effectiveness of a Gas Buster. I think the SD might work quite well if combined with an RTV seal job, but I haven't confirmed that. It seems that if a little extra sealing is accomplished by the gun being dirty, the vents are able to slow the gas enough to nearly eliminate gas in the face completely. In a clean gun... er, not so much.

I've since switched back to a Gas Buster due to the inconsistent performance of the SD at relieving gas in the face. That said, in all other areas besides mitigating gas, I think the SD is superior to a GB.
Exactly the input I was looking for. Thank you for taking the time to write this up.
No problem, happy to help.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In

AR Sponsor