User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 85
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 7:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By smithc6:

Ill be posting the same thing later tonight as my package just showed as delivered from UPS and ADCO.  Im still waiting on my lower, but Ill slap it on my SBR'd lower to get a better effect.

Pictures!!!

Link Posted: 1/25/2011 8:02:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you,isullivan gives me something to work with.

RJ
Link Posted: 1/25/2011 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#3]
As promised here she is.  

Sorry the pics are crappy.  Still need a LH CH and rear BUIS.  This is also on my SBR lower.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 9:02:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: isullivan] [#4]

As promised here she is.  

Sorry the pics are crappy.  Still need a LH CH and rear BUIS.  This is also on my SBR lower.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/smithc6/DSCN1042.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/smithc6/DSCN1043.jpg

For some reason I thought you were going to go with a KAC folding FSB?  Maybe I am wrong...

Looks good though.

Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:15:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By isullivan:

As promised here she is.  

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/smithc6/DSCN1042.jpg
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a124/smithc6/DSCN1043.jpg

For some reason I thought you were going to go with a KAC folding FSB?  Maybe I am wrong...

Looks good though.

Yeah I wanted to.  I didnt realize the Noveske barrel I had tapered because of the gas block seat they do.  So at the rifle sight pinning point the OD of the barrel was .745 and the ID of the KAC sight was .750 so I was forced to make a decision.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:24:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I like it, but I hope you get a separate lower for it. The PRI handguard doesn't match with FDE Magpul furniture, in my opinion.

Get an LMT SOPMOD or fixed stock, and A2, Hogue, or Ergo grip, all in black, and that will be perfect.
Link Posted: 1/26/2011 11:44:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By osha:
I like it, but I hope you get a separate lower for it. The PRI handguard doesn't match with FDE Magpul furniture, in my opinion.

Get an LMT SOPMOD or fixed stock, and A2, Hogue, or Ergo grip, all in black, and that will be perfect.

Yeah thats my SBR lower.  Im still waiting on my lower for this.

Its a Noveske with SOPMOD, Geisslle SSA-E, and all black furniture.
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:49:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By osha:

Yeah thats my SBR lower.  Im still waiting on my lower for this.

Its a Noveske with SOPMOD, Geisslle SSA-E, and all black furniture.

SOPMOD is a great choice.

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:44:47 PM EDT
[#9]

Link Posted: 1/27/2011 8:51:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 10:34:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 2:21:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2 questions.

1. Are you guys going with full length or CAR lengthed gas systems in your builds?
2. Where are you getting your barrels?  The front sight post part is what I am confused on with a CAR gas system build out....is the FSB pinned to the barrel or are most dissipator designed FSB's using set screw systems??
Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:57:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By gatorglockman:

I have 2 questions.

1. Are you guys going with full length or CAR lengthed gas systems in your builds?

2. Where are you getting your barrels?  The front sight post part is what I am confused on with a CAR gas system build out....is the FSB pinned to the barrel or are most dissipator designed FSB's using set screw systems??

There are many ways to build a dissipator.  All three gas systems have been utilized and function properly(carbine,mid,rifle).  I believe the original Bushmaster Dissipator used a carbine length gas system.  As for the newer versions, like mine from ADCO it uses a mid-length gas system.

As for barrels I have seen both pinned and clamp on FSBs.  The clamp-on/set screw type is the easiest if you are building from scratch and don't have the tools to pin the FSB.  But I would say pinning is superior in strength.

The ADCO dissy has a both the FSB and GB pinned.

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 11:56:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gatorglockman] [#15]

Originally Posted By gatorglockman:
I have 2 questions.

There are many ways to build a dissipator.  All three gas systems have been utilized and function properly(carbine,mid,rifle).  I believe the original Bushmaster Dissipator used a carbine length gas system.  As for the newer versions, like mine from ADCO it uses a mid-length gas system.

As for barrels I have seen both pinned and clamp on FSBs.  The clamp-on/set screw type is the easiest if you are building from scratch and don't have the tools to pin the FSB.  But I would say pinning is superior in strength.

The ADCO dissy has a both the FSB and GB pinned.

Thank you my friend.....that's what I needed to know

Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:32:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/29/2011 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:00:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Is it possible to have a dissy set up with either a Troy or Vtac extreme rail?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 11:30:29 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By zukiii:

Is it possible to have a dissy set up with either a Troy or Vtac extreme rail?

I don't see why not, as long as your gas block will fit inside the rail.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I know that the rifle length versions of these two rails run slightly longer than a normal rifle length rail.  I was just curious if there would be enough room for the fsb on a 16in barrel with one of these rails installed.  Anyone have any input??
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:44:17 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By zukiii:

I know that the rifle length versions of these two rails run slightly longer than a normal rifle length rail.  I was just curious if there would be enough room for the fsb on a 16in barrel with one of these rails installed.  Anyone have any input??
Measuring from the back of the barrel nut to the back of the FSB on mine, there's 12.75".  So if the Troy is actually 13" as claimed, you'd only have to move the FSB a quarter inch up.  You've got a bit over three quarters of an inch in front of the FSB before you run into the threads.  You'd need to have your barrel profiled specifically for that though.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quick question. .

As I await the release of Magpuls rifle length moe I am getting other things together for my try at a dissipator upper. Was wondering what height flat-top dummy gas block I need to match up with the Troy flip-up irons I will be running.

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:03:26 PM EDT
[#23]

Originally Posted By TireGuy01:

Quick question. .

As I await the release of Magpuls rifle length moe I am getting other things together for my try at a dissipator upper. Was wondering what height flat-top dummy gas block I need to match up with the Troy flip-up irons I will be running.

Thanks

What exactly is a flat-top dummy gas block?

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:33:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pilatuspilot] [#24]
Between this thread and the BCM Dissipator poll thread, I am going to have to build one. It will be my one and only Title 1 AR. I even have almost the entire build mapped out. My only question is what is the significance of the name 'Dissipator?' I remember back in the '90s when Bushmaster started marketing them, but I never figured out the name. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Rob

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:41:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quick question. .

Thanks

A railed gas block that's not being used as a gas block.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#26]

Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

Between this thread and the BCM Dissipator poll thread, I am going to have to build one. It will be my one and only Title 1 AR. I even have almost the entire build mapped out. My only question is what is the significance of the name 'Dissipator?' I remember back in the '90s when Bushmaster started marketing them, but I never figured out the name. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Rob

As far as I know, it's just the name Bushmaster picked.  I've never heard of any significance to it.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By JoshAston:

Quick question. .

Thanks

isn't that counter to the whole idea of a dissipator? if you want a folding front sight a recce style midlength would be a lot easier to put together.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#28]

Originally Posted By UncivilEngineer:

isn't that counter to the whole idea of a dissipator? if you want a folding front sight a recce style midlength would be a lot easier to put together.  

I agree, but to each his own.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#29]

Rifle is a STAG Carbine and all I really want is the real estate of the rifle length handguards. Just dont have finances to build a new upper.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:30:11 PM EDT
[#30]

Rifle is a STAG Carbine and all I really want is the real estate of the rifle length handguards. Just dont have finances to build a new upper.

chop the front sight (or install low pro gas block) and put on a rifle length DD Omega rail. if you are going to use flip up sights i wouldn't bother with having two gas blocks installed.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:07:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quick question. .

Thanks

I would say yes, but no.  My build was going to be with the KAC folding front sight (until I ran into some problems with the barrel profile I was using), so that when I did mount an optic (probably a night force 1-4) I could fold the front sight down when using the optic on higher the 1x mag.  Obviously you could get the same effect with a 13" hand guard and folding sights, but the dissy look has always been a fav of mine, so I wanted the best of both worlds.  Hopefully I can have that build in the next few months done, and then Ill have 2 dissy uppers to play with.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:08:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smithc6] [#32]

Quick question. .

Thanks

double tap
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:38:53 PM EDT
[#33]

That new gas block may not be able to mount at the rifle position, barrel profile might be too small.  Also, you might end up being able to spend less money by getting a free float tube like the Troy TRX or MI SS.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:18:30 PM EDT
[#34]

RRA Lower
upper from BCM
DD M4 barrel
YHM flipup front sight

Waiting on Magpul rifle length MOE
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:13:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fields_Overseer] [#35]
Originally Posted By pilatuspilot:

Rob

Let me enlighten you all.

From the bushmaster 2006 cataloge v.1: "The rifle length handguards offer optimal heat dissipation (hence the name), and placement of the front sight..."

I dont know how trapping the air under the handguards dissipates heat quicker than a bare barrel(car handguards), but that is the quote straight from their own book.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:12:32 AM EDT
[#36]

Quick question. .

Thanks

a folding sight is true to the dissy concept, as long as it's barrel mounted.

the dissy, or "rifleman's carbine"  (as mentioned above, they don't dissipate anything) as I like to call it requires a receiver mounted rear sight and barrel mounted front sight.

folding is fine.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:40:20 AM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:

Quick question. .

Thanks

the dissy, or "rifleman's carbine" (as mentioned above, they don't dissipate anything) as I like to call it requires a receiver mounted rear sight and barrel mounted front sight.

folding is fine.

i guess i don't see the advantage of a folding front sight attached to the barrel. i like having a fixed front sight as its strong, and is always deployed.  you can get the same sight radius with a long FF tube and a rail mounted folder. to me a recce would be a better, and easier, choice if you want folding sights.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 10:49:49 AM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:

Quick question. .

Thanks

the dissy, or "rifleman's carbine" (as mentioned above, they don't dissipate anything) as I like to call it requires a receiver mounted rear sight and barrel mounted front sight.

folding is fine.

i guess i don't see the advantage of a folding front sight attached to the barrel. i like having a fixed front sight as its strong, and is always deployed.  you can get the same sight radius with a long FF tube and a rail mounted folder. to me a recce would be a better, and easier, choice if you want folding sights.

The advantage of a folding front sight (such as the YHM pictured a few posts back) is the fact that it folds. It's a pretty simple concept IMO, some people don't like the FSB in there sight picture for say a non-magnified optic or even with some lower power optics it can be visible.  If it is going to be an irons only rifle then there would be no advantage of a folding barrel mount front sight.

Yes, it may not be as strong as a FSB becasue it has more moving parts but it is about what the user wants/needs.  I have considered switching out my FSB for a PRI flip-up front sight but that only reason I haven't yet it the fact that is is only available in a set screw and a cross-bolt model.  I would much rather have it pinned.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:00:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tirod] [#39]
TWEEET! (Throws flag into the conversation.)

25 yard penalty for classifying free floats with railed front sights as a Dissipator. (Consults with Conscience, Sense of Right and Wrong, and views Instant Replay.)

The decision on the field stands, Dissipators must have a fixed GI issue front sight base just behind the flash hider. Handguard type is optional, sights are not allowed on the rail. Othewise, it's just a competition three gun M4gery.

It's bad enough  to accept non-rifle gas length, that was the original prototype long before the commercial versions. Now we're talking about a free float with BUIS as if it's the same thing. It weakens and confuses the definition.

dissipator: an M16 based firearm with a typical triangular front sight  gas block attached near the muzzle, just behind the flash suppressor.

Rail mounted BUIS aren't 1) attached to the barrel, 2) also a gas block, 3)  triangular in shape by definition. The GI FSB  has a sling swivel mount, and can have a bayonet lug. BUIS don't. GI FSB's commonly fix the front handguard cap, BUIS don't. GI FSB pins a gas tube, used or not, to it. BUIS don't. A GI FSB is always up, and creates cowitness with optics, BUIS may or may not. A GI FSB can withstand extreme heat from gas passage, some BUIS can't, and can't be mounted on an active gas block per manufacturers recommendation.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––   > SAND

There it is, it's either a GI FSB dissipator, or it's a M4gery with rail mounted BUIS. Please continue, I know i'll be ignored,  but vindicated when history looks back.

I'll post up mine when I get it finished.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 11:29:12 AM EDT
[#40]

Originally Posted By tirod:

TWEEET! (Throws flag into the conversation.)

25 yard penalty for classifying free floats with railed front sights as a Dissipator. (Consults with Conscience, Sense of Right and Wrong, and views Instant Replay.)

The decision on the field stands, Dissipators must have a fixed GI issue front sight base just behind the flash hider. Handguard type is optional, sights are not allowed on the rail. Othewise, it's just a competition three gun M4gery.

It's bad enough  to accept non-rifle gas length, that was the original prototype long before the commercial versions. Now we're talking about a free float with BUIS as if it's the same thing. It weakens and confuses the definition.

dissipator: an M16 based firearm with a typical triangular front sight  gas block attached near the muzzle, just behind the flash suppressor.

Rail mounted BUIS aren't 1) attached to the barrel, 2) also a gas block, 3)  triangular in shape by definition. The GI FSB  has a sling swivel mount, and can have a bayonet lug. BUIS don't. GI FSB's commonly fix the front handguard cap, BUIS don't. GI FSB pins a gas tube, used or not, to it. BUIS don't. A GI FSB is always up, and creates cowitness with optics, BUIS may or may not. A GI FSB can withstand extreme heat from gas passage, some BUIS can't, and can't be mounted on an active gas block per manufacturers recommendation.

–––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––   > SAND

There it is, it's either a GI FSB dissipator, or it's a M4gery with rail mounted BUIS. Please continue, I know i'll be ignored,  but vindicated when history looks back.

I'll post up mine when I get it finished.

Who made you the referee?  

I agree, it is not a dissipator if it has a rail mount front sight.  But I feel, a non-rifle length gas system is perfectly acceptable along with a folding front sight as long as it is barrel mounted and used as a gas block in other applications.  Such as this PRI:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 12:49:49 PM EDT
[#41]
12.5" Kino Config.

14.5" N4 barrel cut back to 12.5, then turned down to .625 in the front for the FSB.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#42]

Originally Posted By BSWilson:

12.5" Kino Config.

14.5" N4 barrel cut back to 12.5, then turned down to .625 in the front for the FSB.

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q252/mastersqurm/Guns/DSC01640.jpg

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 2:47:09 PM EDT
[#43]

The advantage of a folding front sight (such as the YHM pictured a few posts back) is the fact that it folds. It's a pretty simple concept IMO, some people don't like the FSB in there sight picture for say a non-magnified optic or even with some lower power optics it can be visible. If it is going to be an irons only rifle then there would be no advantage of a folding barrel mount front sight.

Yes, it may not be as strong as a FSB becasue it has more moving parts but it is about what the user wants/needs. I have considered switching out my FSB for a PRI flip-up front sight but that only reason I haven't yet it the fact that is is only available in a set screw and a cross-bolt model. I would much rather have it pinned.

i get the purpose of folding sights, i own and use them. however, i don't see why you would go through the trouble of installing a combination gas block/folding front sight, when you won't be using it as a gas block. folding sight gas blocks are great if you are actually using them to hold the gas tube. i don't see what advantage a dissipator with one would have over a recce with rail mounted sights.  i really doubt the folding sights on a gas block are more robust than the folding mechanism on rail mounted versions. IMHO the fixed front sight makes a dissy a dissy.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:12:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: smithc6] [#44]

The advantage of a folding front sight (such as the YHM pictured a few posts back) is the fact that it folds. It's a pretty simple concept IMO, some people don't like the FSB in there sight picture for say a non-magnified optic or even with some lower power optics it can be visible. If it is going to be an irons only rifle then there would be no advantage of a folding barrel mount front sight.

Yes, it may not be as strong as a FSB becasue it has more moving parts but it is about what the user wants/needs. I have considered switching out my FSB for a PRI flip-up front sight but that only reason I haven't yet it the fact that is is only available in a set screw and a cross-bolt model. I would much rather have it pinned.

i get the purpose of folding sights, i own and use them. however, i don't see why you would go through the trouble of installing a combination gas block/folding front sight, when you won't be using it as a gas block. folding sight gas blocks are great if you are actually using them to hold the gas tube. i don't see what advantage a dissipator with one would have over a recce with rail mounted sights.  i really doubt the folding sights on a gas block are more robust than the folding mechanism on rail mounted versions. IMHO the fixed front sight makes a dissy a dissy.

Well you arent using a normal FSB as a gas block either, and its just as much work pinning a normal FSB as it would be a folding one...why just because it folds does it make it not a dissy?  Its still a barrel mounted sight pinned in the rifle location. I just have more flexibility with my setup

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:42:55 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 3:46:08 PM EDT
[#46]

12.5" Kino Config.

It's the hot shit, lemme tell you.

.750 low-pro gas block @ carbine position, .625 flat for FSB @ midlength position.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:07:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Well you arent using a normal FSB as a gas block either, and its just as much work pinning a normal FSB as it would be a folding one...why just because it folds does it make it not a dissy?  Its still a barrel mounted sight pinned in the rifle location. I just have more flexibility with my setup

Yes, but a fixed FSB is stronger than a folding sight, and is always available for use. More power to you if you go through with it. Seems like a lot of work to get a folding sight that could be easily clamped to a rail

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:10:08 PM EDT
[#48]

12.5" Kino Config.

.750 low-pro gas block @ carbine position, .625 flat for FSB @ midlength position.

a new breed of dissipator is born
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#49]

12.5" Kino Config.

It's called a Kino, been around for a while now.  Mine uses a .625 low pro and FSB.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#50]

12.5" Kino Config.

It's called a Kino, been around for a while now.  Mine uses a .625 low pro and FSB.

http://i733.photobucket.com/albums/ww337/joshua_aston/DSC_0525.jpg

nice looking gun. hadn't ever seen that style setup before. if the Navy didn't make me move so much i'd get into SBR game.

Page / 85
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top