Page / 9
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 2:28:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By Molon:

www.box.net/shared/static/jh34lbsg04.jpg

Nicely done!  
Link Posted: 7/12/2008 11:56:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I had printed out these 25 yard targets at work a few weeks back and brought them up to my dad's place last weekend.   I didn't remember the 20 rounds in 2 minutes requirement so I just shot some rounds at each.  Turns out my dad's range is ideal for 36 yards so I shot at that distance and I will print out the 36yd targets for next time.  I will also do 20 rounds in 2 minutes then.

I shot a CMMG A4 20" 1/7 Gov profile upper w/ carry handle on a superior arms lower.  I was shooting the dirty guat surplus AIM sold a few years back.

This target was done 36 yards, prone, loop sling, rapid fire cadence. 8 rounds, 5 rounds, 8 rounds.  I loaded 4 rounds in every mag except one (5), hence the 5 rounds on the middle target.  I had a few bad shots on the third target.

I shot these 15 yd offhand targets at 36 yards prone and sitting, not sure what that would  be equivalent to.

This target was done at 36 yards prone, loop sling, 4 rounds, mag change, 4 rounds.  Look at my NPOA shift after mag change.  WIll have to work on that.

This target was done at 36 yards sitting, loop sling, 4 rounds, mag change, 4 rounds, mag change 4 rounds.

Link Posted: 10/14/2008 11:32:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Bump for those who missed it on the first go-round.
Link Posted: 10/28/2008 10:52:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#4]
The more I read through the Appleseed Project literature, the more impressed I become with their efforts to not only promote basic marksmanship skills, but to also promote an awareness of American history, Constitutional rights, civic duty and even (gasp) patriotism!  Their literature even includes a quote from my favorite author, Thomas Sowell:

“We enjoy freedom . . . not because we deserve it, but because others before us put their lives on the line to defend it.  Are those who come after us to have less, because we couldn’t even be bothered to think about it?”

On a recent trip to the range, I tried my hand at the Appleseed 300 yard qualification reduced target, fired at 25 yards.  This course of fire consists of firing a total of 10 shots, 2 shots each on five targets from the prone position, in the time limit of 60 seconds.  Using my Colt AR-15 A2 and issue sling, 55 grain “ball” ammunition and firing from the prone position I managed to squeak in a score of 50/50.  Appleseed qualification targets can be ordered from Fred's.

Link Posted: 11/28/2008 10:55:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By David14:
Originally Posted By Molon:

www.box.net/shared/static/jh34lbsg04.jpg

Nicely done!  

Gracias!
Link Posted: 11/29/2008 2:42:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks again Molon.
Great thread.
Link Posted: 2/8/2009 1:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By jvg04:
Thanks again Molon.
Great thread.

De nada.  

Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:03:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#8]
Link Posted: 5/2/2009 5:26:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got a pack of 6" paper plates for my 100 yard shoot. Putting the 3" black circles on them now.

I'll print some of the 25 yard targets for this to add to the mix.

Thanks Molon.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#10]
No problemo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2009 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag for later
Link Posted: 7/19/2009 5:27:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#12]
The weather was perfect today for another round of the Marksman's Challenge.  This time I used my 16" Noveske N4 barreled carbine with the Aimpoint M4S sight.  The ammunition used was hand-loaded Sierra 55 grain BlitzKings.  Shooting was from the prone unsupported position using a sling (with no cheating using the magazine as a monopod.)  The distance was the usual 25 yards.

then two clicks to the right on the Aimpoint  . . .

Link Posted: 7/19/2009 9:37:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Molon-

Love the targets.  I've been to 2 Appleseed shoots and absolutely loved learning the fundamentals(First with a CZ 22, second with a Garand).  Its surprising what you can do with irons and some basic techniques.  I was fortunate enough to score rifleman on the Advanced AQT with my CZ but couldn't quite make it with the Garand.  

I'll be taking your challenge on the next trip to the range.  Rifle will be a Colt A2, 1/7 Gov profile with a mix of ammo.  I'll try out some brown bear, ultramax, and Prvi M193 and see if there are any practical differences.
Link Posted: 7/21/2009 8:54:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By littlejerry:

I'll be taking your challenge on the next trip to the range.  Rifle will be a Colt A2, 1/7 Gov profile with a mix of ammo.  I'll try out some brown bear, ultramax, and Prvi M193 and see if there are any practical differences.

Cool, I look forward to hearing about your results.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm not ready to post up my results yet, but I gotta say these targets are a BLAST! The shape is very conducive to accurate shooting!

Thanks Molon!
Link Posted: 9/26/2009 12:36:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By littlejerry:

I've been to 2 Appleseed shoots and absolutely loved learning the fundamentals(First with a CZ 22, second with a Garand).  Its surprising what you can do with irons and some basic techniques.  I was fortunate enough to score rifleman on the Advanced AQT with my CZ but couldn't quite make it with the Garand.  

Just as a reminder for everyone else, here's a link to the Appleseed Project.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 11:38:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 9:49:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Charger22] [#18]
This seem's pretty challenging and I'm going to give it a try on Thursday(weather permitting). Thanks for the targets and very nice shooting.

I will be going at it with this rifle and it will be my first time trying some real target shooting(probably wont be the greatest).

Just a regular old Colt HBAR A2 and bushmaster lower that I have been plinking with for a while but not really trying to improve my shooting skills. Will post up some pic's if I'm not too embarrassed.

ETA:  Will probably give this a shot with my Spikes ST-22.
Link Posted: 11/29/2009 10:02:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Forest:
Originally Posted By CK1:
Err... the target used at 25 yd simulates a standard human target at 300m.

Really? I would never have guessed that.

The circle on the target is rougly 6moa.  If you can do that for at least 38 out of 40 rounds in 2 minutes you've pretty much met the criteria for 'Expert Rifleman' in the US Army.

It's a good starting goal using 'off the rack' rifles & ammo, many just take their rifle out and blast away being satisfied if they can hit a 16" target at 25-50 yards.

This is encouraging...  That is almost exactly my current bastardized high power reduced shooting both sitting and prone.  . Oh happy day...
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 1:19:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Taggage.

Link Posted: 11/30/2009 2:57:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I'll be using these targets to teach some Iraqi soldiers basic marksmanship tomorrow.  Hopefully I make it out with the same amount of blood I started with.
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 9:46:21 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:
I'll be using these targets to teach some Iraqi soldiers basic marksmanship tomorrow.  Hopefully I make it out with the same amount of blood I started with.

Awesome!  Be sure to post some pics.
Link Posted: 11/30/2009 10:13:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: VR-15] [#23]
Just ran across this thread so I thought I'd post my resent tagret I shot at 100 yards with my DDM4

A dime. Shot at 100 yards off bench using bipod with a Aimpoint M3  2 MOA. Black Hills 223. 5 shot's but only one hit which was good for me.

A quarter. 100 yards off bench with the same setup. 6 shot's but only 3 hit.

Link Posted: 1/29/2010 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DesignatedMarksman:

I'm hoping you survived the training session.

Link Posted: 2/16/2010 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Well, not great by any means, but not my last attempt either.  I strongly feel a couple of these would have been better without being next two the "Battle of the Alamo" while trying to shoot these.  I did not time it, but they were done well under the 2 minute mark.  I never thought I would say my front sight post fat, but damn if it didn't seem that way.  

Lastly, I apologize for the targets, I got the ones Molon so generous provided taped up and ready to go, then got told that was a no no and that no outside targets were allowed.  I then had to improvise, cutting Molon's target out, using it as a stencil and then coloring in my own targets.  Forgive the ass clownery that is this post please.  

These were shot at 25 yards in an in door range with my ST-22 on a chopped Cav Arms MK lower.  Both elbows on the bench, feet flat, no sling, not coat, no love.

The rifle:

ST-22 has rifle length YHM light FF rail, Standard barrel, not lothar, YHM rail mounted front sight, LT BUIS on the rear with the peep ap.  standard single stage fire control group with JP low power springs.  

1st attempt, please do not laugh at my artistic skills, I will be going to a different range on my next trip.  

Hate being that guy, but the mag dumps right next to me was making this a little difficult.  Besides the concussion, it was causing the bench to vibrate.  

2nd Go, same conditions as above, but I managed to find some zen and get a rythem of shooting in between mag changes.  :D

3rd and final attempt without distraction or excuse.

Again, nothing to write home about, but it was fun and definitely challenging.  I look forward to grabbing some more quality 22 and heading to another range that will allow the standard targets instead of my bastardized stenciled targets.  Thanks for all the info Molon.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 2:13:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brou-ha_82] [#26]
How am I only now seeing this thread!?!?  25yd target PDF saved! Definitely gonna try this when I get my 20" upper.
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#27]
OK, in all seriousness
                    if these targets appeal to you, please please please get to an Appleseed
 I am shameless promoter/supporter of Appleseed, this program is great,
  they WILL improve your skill base, even if the style is not HSLD

And trust me, if you can clean one of theses targets now, wait till you can clean a AQT under time while being pelted with 30-06 brass in 98 degree weather
Link Posted: 2/16/2010 8:37:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
OK, in all seriousness
                    if these targets appeal to you, please please please get to an Appleseed
 I am shameless promoter/supporter of Appleseed, this program is great,
  they WILL improve your skill base, even if the style is not HSLD

And trust me, if you can clean one of theses targets now, wait till you can clean a AQT under time while being pelted with 30-06 brass in 98 degree weather

You might want to go back and read pages 12 and 13 of this thread.

Link Posted: 4/4/2010 10:37:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Brou-ha_82:
How am I only now seeing this thread!?!?  25yd target PDF saved! Definitely gonna try this when I get my 20" upper.

Be sure to post your results.

Link Posted: 5/11/2010 12:27:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#30]
The Appleseed Store is now carrying the Appleseed qualification targets.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 2:05:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I want to play.
Link Posted: 5/18/2010 11:31:53 PM EDT
[#32]
tag
Link Posted: 5/31/2010 2:55:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I scored a 176 yesterday at the range on an Appleseed AQT target.
I'm looking forward to going to their Rifleman's Base Camp this coming month to improve my score.
Link Posted: 7/6/2010 3:22:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Taipan:

I scored a 176 yesterday at the range on an Appleseed AQT target.

Strong work!  

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By Taipan:

I'm looking forward to going to their Rifleman's Base Camp this coming month to improve my score.

Results?

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 4:37:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Barliman] [#36]
Not the person you asked, but this did remind me I meant to try it

See image below - Colt 6940 held in my hands elbows on shooting table at 25 yards with an Osprey holo sight. Elapsed time 1:25.6. Temp 63 with wind 10 mph and gusts to 20 mph. Ammo was "gun sale reloads" bought in ammo can of 500.

If I understand the directions, this is a score of 138

Barliman
Link Posted: 10/21/2010 5:12:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Harv24:
Not to bust anyone's bubble... but me personally...I don't really see this as very hard  using irons or Dots at 25Yds...I believe the term is Marksmanship Masturbation....

Now if you want to challenge yourself.. Try this drill

IDPA type Silhouette  with a 8" circle for COM
18yds away
Fire 6 rds from standing
Drop to one or both knees and fire another 6 rds
Speed reload
go to prone and fire 6 rds
Keep all hits in the 8" circle
time.. under 18 secs.

Do that until your can do it on command at any time .... That's practical Marksmanship.

Flame on......

Yeah, because hitting an 8" circle at 18 yards is so much more manly than a 1 1/2"x2" silhouette at 25.

When you win a major Army installation rifle championship firing the National Match course of fire, out to 600 meters, with an M16A1, give me a call.  Granted it was 24 years ago, but I'm sure I could still give it a damn good go.

Link Posted: 10/21/2010 6:21:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12B1P] [#38]
Thanks for the post Molon, great stuff.

In my 4 1/2 years in the Army I managed to qual expert every time except for twice, was so cold I got frost bite for one, the other we jumped in and  marched all night in the rain and I could hardly keep my eyes open much less shoot a good score. I always felt that the 25m targets were an effective alternative (sometimes the only practice we got were the 9 rounds we had to zero before we qualified), and that the ALT-C course was nearly as difficult as the pop ups. IIRC you needed one more point for the same score if qualifying on paper, for example you needed 39 on paper as opposed to 38 with pop ups for Expert. Anyways my point is for those of us who no longer have nice pop up ranges available to us the 25m or yd targets are still great practice. If you can do it at 25 theres no reason you shouldnt be able to do it out to 300.

12B
Link Posted: 10/24/2010 4:06:08 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Barliman:
Not the person you asked, but this did remind me I meant to try it

See image below - Colt 6940 held in my hands elbows on shooting table at 25 yards with an Osprey holo sight. Elapsed time 1:25.6. Temp 63 with wind 10 mph and gusts to 20 mph. Ammo was "gun sale reloads" bought in ammo can of 500.

If I understand the directions, this is a score of 138

http://i1215.photobucket.com/albums/cc516/Barliman/CNM/MC102110.jpg

Barliman

+10 Interwebz points to you for adhering to the time restriction!
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 1:18:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Molon I figured you would like this pic of me training Iraqi Soldiers using Alt C targets which are scaled down qualification targets like yours.

ALSO, FIRST POST !!

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i86/HarleyXJGuy/Iraq/Training.jpg
Link Posted: 10/25/2010 2:36:49 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/30/2010 11:20:30 PM EDT
[#42]
I did this yesterday and I was surprised how well I actually did. I was pressed for time so I was using my ak74 with irons and not an AR.

I am using the 50 yard ones and man...they are small. At first my gun was shooting left so I had to do some adjusting. Then I was still doing terrible because I was seeing the sights extremely blurry through my right eye. I need a new script bad.

With only 10 rounds left I decided to try the unshot side of the target while shooting left handed. The sights were clear and I did much better than expected. I will post a pic asap.

Hopefully I can get some new contacts and maybe try this with all 3 of my carbines. A 14.5" bcm middy with a ml3 2moa aimpoint, RRA 16" a2 middy and my AK74.

I have a feeling the RRA will win and the 74 and bcm will be close. I really can't wait to get a nice red dot on my 74. The accuracy is very very good for an AK and its "practical" accuracy is every bit as good as an M4 with military grade ammo.
Link Posted: 10/31/2010 12:48:27 AM EDT
[#43]
I thought that was normal
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 4:21:58 PM EDT
[#44]

This was shot in under 1 minute with 62grain silver bear hollow point ammo. Elbows were rested on a bench and I was not using any sort of shooting jacket or sling or anything. Rifle has a 2moa aimpoint and a standard RRA trigger group. This is the 50 yard target....
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By SickMAK90:
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3482/bcmwtarget.jpg

http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/764/bcm1u.jpg

http://img185.imageshack.us/img185/4060/targett.jpg

This was shot in under 1 minute with 62grain silver bear hollow point ammo. Elbows were rested on a bench and I was not using any sort of shooting jacket or sling or anything. Rifle has a 2moa aimpoint and a standard RRA trigger group. This is the 50 yard target....

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 8:42:53 PM EDT
[#46]
This got me wanting a new trigger...I think a RRA 2 stage may be in order soon. Possibly a free float tube of some sort also.

I am fairly impressed at how well I did. Especially with the silver bear ammo.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 11:34:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#47]
Originally Posted By Dolder:
Molon I figured you would like this pic of me training Iraqi Soldiers using Alt C targets which are scaled down qualification targets like yours.

ALSO, FIRST POST !!

Insha'Allah!
Awesome pic, Dolder!
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 1:00:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RedFalconBill] [#48]
This got me wanting a new trigger...I think a RRA 2 stage may be in order soon.

Off Topic. but....

For the price the RRA two stage is nice, but spend the extra $ and get the SSA-E.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RedFalconBill:
This got me wanting a new trigger...I think a RRA 2 stage may be in order soon.

Off Topic. but....

For the price the RRA two stage is nice, but spend the extra $ and get the SSA-E.

I appreciate the advice, but I am not spending 200$ on a trigger group for a 14.5" carbine with no magnification. If I had some sort of precision rig I would definitely consider it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 1:31:37 PM EDT
[#50]

I am almost done here in Iraq but as soon as I get home I will be posting my targets up for this challenge. Should be interesting since my only personal AR-15 is a 10.5 barreled YHM. Look for something in December.
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top