Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/15/2006 8:04:08 PM EDT
Alright i am wanting to buy an ar-15. I have found one that im interested in. http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=23
Im not into all the details about ar15s and stuff yet cause im national guard infantry and i only know bout m-4 and m-16. Our unit uses m-4s which is why i chose this one. Its going to be strictly a target practice rifle. Since i cant just walk into our armoury and take out an m-4 whenever i want. I want something that is close to what i will carry in a combat zone with, and that i can get trigger time on whenever i want.. Its got the a1 sights i havent used those before. I was wondering if you guys would help me out a little bit and  tell me what to look for and give me some tips on ar15s, and your opinions on this rifle.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 5:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with a RRA , Bushmaster, Colt, Stag, S&W, Armalite before I go with a Oly. They are ok guns but I have seen a few problems with them in the past. Rusted bolts for one.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the bushmaster, rra, and stag.  These are all excelent quality rifles that will retain their value.  If this is for practice make sure you get a rifle with the exact same sites you'll have on your issued weapon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 6:45:59 PM EDT
[#3]
+1 stag you wont regret it :)
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 7:01:14 PM EDT
[#4]
WTF
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#5]
ive neva heard of stag yet. Ya i defintely wont buy an olympic ive heard to much bad shit about them. I leaning more to bushmaster but apprently they raised their prices so maybe an rra.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't buy an Oly.  
Right now they make one of the best AR15 I've seen for the cost that's out there.  
Excellent warranty and service if needed.  Well fitted from parts made in their shop (not bid out parts from the PRC).
Excellent barrels made in house.
All forged uppers and lowers (haven't made a cast lower for years).
Made in just about every configuration you could think of (including uppers for the 25WSSM) from entry level to national match and sniper grade right out of the box.
Check one out at a gun shop, at their web site http://www.olyarms.com or if your in Washington State drop in and take the tour then ask yourself "Do I really want to spend my money on a well built and excellent priced gun when I could spend hundreds more from parts made all over the world for minimum bid?"  Just look at another web privately owned web page OA2 at http://www.oa2.org/index.php.  Dumb Suckers are just too happy with their Oly's for there not to be a conspiracy.  Worst of all, they are not sponcers here...

Yea, what a piece of junk.

Gos.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
MarkM will be here soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:54:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
WTF

yeah, how'd ya do that bean?  2 "1st" posts, within minutes of each other... hmmm I'm cornfused.

A glitch in the matrix perhaps??

..aghhh my brain hurts now

Anyway, back to what I suggested in your (?1st/ second?) post=== get a Bushy M4gery, you'll love it!

--VT
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:50:15 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Alright i am wanting to buy an ar-15.
Im not into all the details about ar15s and stuff yet cause im national guard infantry and i only know bout m-4 and m-16. Its going to be strictly a target practice rifle. Since i cant just walk into our armoury and take out an m-4 whenever i want. I want something that is close to what i will carry in a combat zone with, and that i can get trigger time on whenever i want. I was wondering if you guys would help me out a little bit and tell me what to look for and give me some tips on ar15s, and your opinions on this rifle.

If you want to stay as close to the military features of your M4 carbine you would want 14.5", 1/7 twist, chrome lined, M4 contour with M4 feedramps barrel and MPI tested, 'F' type front sight base (taller than the sight of A2 model carry handle sights) Mil-Spec flat top rails and buffer tube size.

Here are some brands that fits those features (there are others that I didn't mention):
Stag Limited Edition 14.5" barrel with permanent attached Phantom Flash Suppressor (FS)
Sabre Defence 14.5" barrel with permanent extended A2 FS
LMT Defender 2000 14.5" with permanent Phantom FS

For more info on Stag Arms click on the Stag Arms banner link on top of this page, to find dealers click on the Equipment Exchange tab on top of the page.

The special model Sabre Defence is available from Talon Arms, go to the Industry section by clicking the Industry tab on top of this page and go to their forum.

The LMT dealers are in the Equipment Exchange boards also.

Sabre Defence Industies website link

LMT website link
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 11:56:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Don't buy an Oly.  
Right now they make one of the best AR15 I've seen for the cost that's out there.  
Excellent warranty and service if needed.  Well fitted from parts made in their shop (not bid out parts from the PRC).
Excellent barrels made in house.
All forged uppers and lowers (haven't made a cast lower for years).
Made in just about every configuration you could think of (including uppers for the 25WSSM) from entry level to national match and sniper grade right out of the box.
Check one out at a gun shop, at their web site http://www.olyarms.com or if your in Washington State drop in and take the tour then ask yourself "Do I really want to spend my money on a well built and excellent priced gun when I could spend hundreds more from parts made all over the world for minimum bid?"  Just look at another web privately owned web page OA2 at http://www.oa2.org/index.php.  Dumb Suckers are just too happy with their Oly's for there not to be a conspiracy.  Worst of all, they are not sponcers here...

Yea, what a piece of junk.

Gos.

They are suck pieces of junk, I mean mine only does 1/2 groups at 100yrds with a crappy scope. and with milspec ammo, it totally sucks, Its a shame that I am a part of the hive mentality piss the hive off and you are screwed totally, so yeah My oly is a piece of junk its a Shame I only spent so little for a gun that does 1/2 groups with crap ammo. oh well next time I will just throw rocks.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:08:03 AM EDT
[#11]
First AR15 should be a factory rig

Go with the Bushmaster M4 A3 Patrolman's Carbine and you cannot go wrong

knesekguns.com sells them for $890 shipped to your FFL

If you can afford it, get the Colt LE6920, which runs from $1,350 from a user in the Equipment Exchange here, to $1,100 from some dealers - if they have them (look around)

You will never regret spending a few more dollars now for a better gun

Good luck, Bean-- and welcome aboard!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 4:13:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Don't go with an Oly.  I love their barrels, but their rifles could use a little help.  The manufacturers that I would go with are (in order):

DPMS
Cavalry Arms
Model 1 Sales
Stag Arms
Bushmaster
Colt

Like others have mentioned go with a factory rifle to begin with.  Makes things simple and easy (especially WHEN you trade up).

Good luck with the hunt!

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:45:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I was looking at the bushy m-4 but this is going to be totally paid for strictly bye my national guard pay and well with the taxs i dont know if i can afford a $1300, but it also comes into play that i will have this rifle for a long time. Maybe bushy has a payment plan or something like that i dont know about.
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:49:00 AM EDT
[#14]
any more tips
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:15:32 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
First AR15 should be a factory rig

Go with the Bushmaster M4 A3 Patrolman's Carbine and you cannot go wrong

knesekguns.com sells them for $890 shipped to your FFL

If you can afford it, get the Colt LE6920, which runs from $1,350 from a user in the Equipment Exchange here, to $1,100 from some dealers - if they have them (look around)
You will never regret spending a few more dollars now for a better gun

Good luck, Bean-- and welcome aboard!!!

+1  The 6920 will be closest to what you may find yourself using.  The 6520 is very similar but with a lighter barrel.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Or just keep your eyes open in the EE for a good used one. Or build it yourself to save some money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:29:09 AM EDT
[#17]
ok ty
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:29:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Or just keep your eyes open in the EE for a good used one. Or build it yourself to save some money.

If he doesn't have the tools and a good place to build then it won't save him money.

Consider that a proper tooling setup to CORRECTLY and smoothly build an AR is probably going to run about $200 dollars minimum.  Then consider that figure does not include a bench setup with a good vise and lighting, etc.   So add another $250 bucks.

The sole rifle would definitely be the more economic choice.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:35:44 AM EDT
[#19]
CMMG sells a mil-spec M4 carbine.  I know Bravo Company sells mil-spec uppers and maybe complete rifles.  You could do a transfer of either of the two.

TS
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:35:49 AM EDT
[#20]
im thinkin maybe a straight factory rig im leaning toward either a bushy a rra or a colt. 1 more question for you guys. Ive neva had to deal with any of these companies on buying rifles. Are they a pay up front total or do they have payment plans, cause this rifle is being paid for solely from my national guard pay, and most ya'll know how the taxs are on that :D
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
post links of that stuff if you would
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:41:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I was looking at the bushy m-4 but this is going to be totally paid for strictly bye my national guard pay and well with the taxs i dont know if i can afford a $1300, but it also comes into play that i will have this rifle for a long time. Maybe bushy has a payment plan or something like that i dont know about.
http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/weapons/bcwa3f16m4.asp

You wont pay the retail price you see in the Bushy catalog.
Most vendors sell them for around 900-950.
Whatever you choose,make sure its' a gun YOU like,
It's good to ask for advice but in the end,it's your weapon.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:42:18 AM EDT
[#23]
I have an Oly with a 24" M1S barrel, it is ok.  I have no problem with the rifle but it is my first one and don't really have anything to compare it with.  I read that they had a bunch of problems some time ago but supposidly things are ok now.  Whatever, I shoot it a lot and not once had anything wrong with it.  For the money I would say buy one, all I upgraded was the trigger
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#24]
ALL OF EM!!!!

But go with the Bushy first, Dont waste the extra $$$$ on a COLT
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#25]
Yeah talk to your local dealers or Pawn Shops. Some will order for 10% or less over cost. I bought a bushy 16 inch for around 890.00 and a varminter for 1050 before taxes last month.
JRandyH
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Ya I will get into contact with some of the people in my area. Maybe go to kieslers down in kentucky and see what they have. If anyone from around southern indiana knows any other places list them here for me or just pm them  to me thank you.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:18:19 PM EDT
[#27]
My advice is find out exactly how much you can spend. . . . . .  then price according to that. . . .   then go ahead and get that rifle.

Stick with:
A = Armalite
B = Bushmaster
C = Colt
and you won't be sorry . . .

Go a little bit out of the alphabet and you might be happy, you might not. . . .

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 2:26:23 PM EDT
[#28]
buy a bushy or rra. I would get a flat top and a dd a filp up sight or a removeable carry handle. Get it set up a close to what you are issued. or build it you self a save a some money for mags and ammo.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:07:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Buy a Bushmaster A3 M4 14.5" with Phantom Flash Huder perm installed. You'll be happy Siegels in Evansville, IN has A3 Bushaster M4's for $900. DPMS for $800.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 3:53:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Alright i am wanting to buy an ar-15.
Im not into all the details about ar15s and stuff yet cause im national guard infantry and i only know bout m-4 and m-16. Its going to be strictly a target practice rifle. Since i cant just walk into our armoury and take out an m-4 whenever i want. I want something that is close to what i will carry in a combat zone with, and that i can get trigger time on whenever i want. I was wondering if you guys would help me out a little bit and tell me what to look for and give me some tips on ar15s, and your opinions on this rifle.

If you want to stay as close to the military features of your M4 carbine you would want 14.5", 1/7 twist, chrome lined, M4 contour with M4 feedramps barrel and MPI tested, 'F' type front sight base (taller than the sight of A2 model carry handle sights) Mil-Spec flat top rails and buffer tube size.

Here are some brands that fits those features (there are others that I didn't mention):
Stag Limited Edition 14.5" barrel with permanent attached Phantom Flash Suppressor (FS)
Sabre Defence 14.5" barrel with permanent extended A2 FS
LMT Defender 2000 14.5" with permanent Phantom FS

For more info on Stag Arms click on the Stag Arms banner link on top of this page, to find dealers click on the Equipment Exchange tab on top of the page.

The special model Sabre Defence is available from Talon Arms, go to the Industry section by clicking the Industry tab on top of this page and go to their forum.

The LMT dealers are in the Equipment Exchange boards also.

Sabre Defence Industies website link

LMT website link

BIG +1

I like LMT 14.5 M4

Gene Swanson nice guy to talk to!

Anglea Sheehan is in Sales

she sent me a free manual  thanks!     (bushy charge me )

I also have a A1shorty Bushmaster that EATS everything ! just a bit over 2000rds without a Hic Up!
Paid 800 bucks counting Tax  Best so far!

I only been to the range 3 times with the LMT its very accurate for a M4!

Colt 6920 but has a longer barrel than the 6921
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#31]
I’d be happy with a product from about any of the major manufacturers except Olympic and Armalite.  

Bushmaster, CMMG, DPMS, Leitner-Wise, LMT, POF, Rock River and Stag Arms should all be able to produce a decent rifle.  
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:24:07 PM EDT
[#32]
aight looking more toward a bushy m4 a3 patrolmans carbine or rra entry tac. Can someone give me some pros and cons on both of them? Any information would be much appreciated. I recently heard bush master raised their prices, so many leaning a little more towards rra to conserve a little $ but i havent decided yet.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
aight looking more toward a bushy m4 a3 patrolmans carbine or rra entry tac. Can someone give me some pros and cons on both of them? Any information would be much appreciated. I recently heard bush master raised their prices, so many leaning a little more towards rra to conserve a little $ but i havent decided yet.

Both have gone up in prices and both are good so pick one. I would ditch the tactical carry handle RRA has and get the standard A4 carry handle.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Both have gone up in prices and both are good so pick one. I would ditch the tactical carry handle RRA has and get the standard A4 carry handle.hr

Oh ya im definitely going to get rid of that tactical carry handle that rra has if i get one. I most definitely want the a4 carry handle. Probably get an eohtech sight or aimpoint after that.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 4:57:54 PM EDT
[#35]
If your gonna buy just one, and can afford it, I would buy a Colt 6920 or 6721. They may be no better than a bushy but they do hold their value very well and have a great track record for shooting well.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top