Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2006 4:26:41 PM EDT
Can anyone tell me where to find a good detailed AR manual.  I just recieved one from gun guides and disappointed.  I'm wanting one that shows more than just a basic cleaning tear down.  Is there one out there that would take me step by step with something like taking a barrel and putting it another one on.  Example I am wanting to take my Colt from its currect 16'' m4gery config. back to its original 20" confg.  Unfortunately I am one of those who needs lots of pictures and I am new to this hobby although pretty mechanical.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the button above titled "Information".
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Boy, do I feel dumb.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Boy, do I feel dumb.

LOL, nah, lots of info here, takes time to find it all.  There's also a step by step barrel replacement thread here too:  www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=4&t=226782
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 6:08:51 PM EDT
[#5]
O.k. I think I can do it.  But here is my other question.  Do I need to worry about headspacing?  I bought these parts (16'' barrell w/gas tube, ft upper, bolt assembly, delta ring and barrel nut) from my buddie to help him out and he purchased them new, but seperate.  They are all RRA parts. Can I just assemble it and go, or is there more to it.

Thanks again
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 7:39:20 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Do I need to worry about headspacing?  

Generally not.  Headspacing is done by the bolt and receiver extension.  If your bolt and receiver extension are quality products they should have been made right at the factory.  It's why I don't skimp on barrels or bolts and get cheap stuff.

That being said, I still check by rifles periodically with a USGI 'Field' gauge to make sure headspace hasn't increased beyond what is considered safe.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top