Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/2/2006 1:35:57 PM EDT
If i made a steel backstop plate to shoot at, say 3'x3' and angled it in 45 degrees, how thick should it be?
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 2:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My uncle had a steel plate for a backstop when I was a kid. IIRC, it was 3/4" steel. Manganese steel would be better, but can ruin a shear. It should be flame-cut.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:42:37 PM EDT
[#2]
The question shouldn't be just "how thick?", it should also be "how hard?".   AR500 about 0.5" thick at a 45 degree angle would probably last hundreds of thousands of rounds if you're shooting .223 at it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:48:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I want to make one for my .223 & .45 cal pistol.
Just wasn't sure how thick to make it
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:53:25 PM EDT
[#4]
to answer all ur questions Backstop

hope this helps...i'm gonna be making one once it gets a lil warmer...shootin (no pun intended) for mid march to beginning of april to make this thing and i'll post pix and reviews.

5.0 OUT
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 5:59:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Halfinch of mild steel or more, and 5.56mm will wear it out. BTDT.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top