Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/27/2006 5:42:27 PM EDT
Any of you ever use a product called EVA DRY in your safe.  Does it work well?

I am open to other ideas as well, so fire away.  Thanks
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#1]
i use a golden rod dehumider in my safe.  it plugs inti wall outlet and is located in the bottom front corner of safe.  this kind of moves the air in the safe.  are you talking about the stuff that you recharge by warming in the oven
?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:18:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i use a golden rod dehumider in my safe.  it plugs inti wall outlet and is located in the bottom front corner of safe.  this kind of moves the air in the safe.  are you talking about the stuff that you recharge by warming in the oven
?

EVA DRY recharges by plugging it in to a wall outlet for 8 hours every 2-3 months.  

What interests me about this productis that it uses silica gel to hold the moisture without the use of electricity.  When we get another hurricane and loose power again, the high humidity we have during hurricane season is a problem.  And this could be helpful.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a golden rod as well. It doesn't move the air around. It just brings the temp in the safe up a few degrees from the outside of the safe. This has the side affect of drying the air out. I monitor the humidity in the safe and the golden rod seems to be doing the trick.

I prefer the golden rod to the bake type dehumidifiers since they're zero maintaniance. As long as they have juice, they're working. I check the humidity/temp every once in a while to make sure that they're still good and that's it. No having to remember to recharge the dehumidifier box.

Edit: Didn't realize that you could recharge though the outlet. Good point about the possibility of loosing juice. Generally we don't lose power long and when we do, I have a generator. Of course, that would be no good for long periods with out power. My only question would be how long would something like that last w/the humidity level that high?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:32:07 PM EDT
[#4]
golden rod in the safe in the garage in NC.  Very humid and so far so good but I keep a very close eye on things in there....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:17:31 PM EDT
[#5]
What would happen if you just stuck a dehumidifier next to the gun safe? I'm guessing it wouldn't work because of the seal on the safe?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Just bring in ths safe into your home and dont let the woman tell U NO.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:28:28 PM EDT
[#7]
I have used the Bullfrog Vci emmitters(large one) and a goldenrod for good measure in my safes for many years with no signs of corrosion.
www.action-electronics.com/bfguns.htm
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 9:09:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What would happen if you just stuck a dehumidifier next to the gun safe? I'm guessing it wouldn't work because of the seal on the safe?

A gun safe doesn't exactly seal, not like tupperware anyway, so lowering the humidity of the room it was in would help some. Probably not enough though, your best bet is to have some type of dehumidifier in the safe.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:36:49 PM EDT
[#9]
So anybody here use EVA DRY?  I appreciate the other ideas thus far, just wondering if anybody here has used EVA DRY.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I am open to other ideas as well, so fire away.  Thanks

Pickachu
Out here we need only open our safe doors when it's 115 degrees outside.  Well everyone from the east and north keeps on telling me "it's a dry heat."

Seriously I have a little box of some kind of rosin material I ordered from Cabelas.  When it turns pink (hasn't in 5 years now) I need only put it in the oven at 200 degrees until it turns white again.  I think I will have a party if I ever have to do that.
Learning
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't use the "eva dry" but I do use silica gel in my safe as dehumidifying agent. Haven't had any problems. I don't use a golden rod because I don't have a handy outlet to plug it into.

The "eva dry" is just silica with the added convenience of recharging it by plugging it in. An alternative is plain silica which can be recharged in the oven.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:33:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I live in E. Tennessee and do not use anything inside the safe.  I use a dehumidifier in the same room and place a coat of CLP on my firearms.  No rust issues whatsoever during the past two years.  

Dan
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:08:32 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm kinda partial to the overkill approach - a goldenrod and also the largest bag of silica gel I could find.  I don't have any corrosion issues, but I do notice that the silica gel needs drying out every 2 months or so (I use disposable humidity indicator cards in the silica).

Also - not to argue, but some safes do seal - my Graffunder seals up so tightly that it can be a chore to break the vacuum when opening.

lrbillb
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I use a goldenrod and have no complaints.  All my ammo cans are packed up with dessicant packs from shoe boxes and coats.  I've scored a lot of free dessicant packs by going into shoe stores and leather stores and asking the clerk if they mind me taking them.  They never care and I walk out with my pockets filled!
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:43:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I use a goldenrod and have no complaints.  All my ammo cans are packed up with dessicant packs from shoe boxes and coats.  I've scored a lot of free dessicant packs by going into shoe stores and leather stores and asking the clerk if they mind me taking them.  They never care and I walk out with my pockets filled!

Excellent idea on the free dessicant packs for ammo storage.  Thanks
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 3:15:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I use Zorb-it  Seems to work good for me, bu i've had my safe for less than a year so really no long term studying done. I like the factor of not having to piss with it.  And I didn't have the option of using any electrical devices (no holes for plugs/cords)
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#17]
If you really want to know if your golden rod is doing anything, put in a container of Damp Rid.  If the power goes out for an extended period of time, it's your best bet because it actually removes the humidity from the air.

PS, you can do the same thing as a golden rod with 2 7 watt night lights, and get the light as well!

Tom  
Link Posted: 3/3/2006 1:35:12 PM EDT
[#18]
I saw anew model Sentry safe at ShotShow that is Water-Proof.  I would imagine if it keeps water out (like a flooded basement), it should help with the humidity issues.  I would still use dessicant.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top