Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 2/20/2006 8:03:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:09:55 PM EDT by Hylton]
Stupid question here but I need to ask anyway. I just got out to the range yesterday with my new EOtech 512 and had some problems right away not knowing how to properly use the EOTech with my front sight post. When I look through the EOTech I notched the little red circle seems to move with my eyes, its not fixed in the center of the glass like I had previously expected it moves freely throughout the glass sight. When I went to aim my rifle I wasn’t sure if my EOTech was centered atop my sight post or not being every time I looked around the little red circle seemed to wonder around the glass with my eye, I was told by a friend that EOTech sights come sighted in so I wouldn’t have to bother with that so I did as I was told and left it alone, however at 60-65 yards I was missing a small box completely, its not my shooting its my sighting system, I think my sight post is fine but if its not how should I property adjust it to know its on? And for the EOTech ware do I place the dot to get an accurate shot? At what distance should I sight my gun and EOTech in at? I was thinking 50 out but I may be wrong, thanks in advance for the help, I appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:07:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:08:44 PM EDT by HarrySacz]
It is supposed to move arouond the lens. You dont need to use you front sight post to use your EO-tech,it is its own sight.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:07:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:09:41 PM EDT by NoAim]
LOL. I think you bought something without understanding what it does.

The dot is supposed to move. It's a single point aiming system. Wherever the dot is, that's where your shots go. No front sight needed. No "cheek weld" needed.

Don't feel bad though, it's a common occurance (and quite funny to watch) with people who've never used a red-dot before.

Some more reading:

www.eotech-inc.com/lawe_features.php

So in short, look at your target. Move the dot onto target. Shoot. Kinda like a video game.

One other piece of advice...don't focus on the reticle or it will look very fuzzy. It's designed to be clear as you are looking at your target.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:09:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoAim:
LOL. I think you bought something without understanding what it does.

The dot is supposed to move. It's a single point aiming system. Wherever the dot is, that's where your shots go. No front sight needed.

Don't feel bad though, it's a common occurance (and quite funny to watch) with people who've never used a red-dot before.

Some more reading:

www.eotech-inc.com/lawe_features.php

So my EOTech must be off then right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:11:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hylton:
So my EOTech must be off then right?

Sounds like it. Mine was off a bit as well. Different rails, different zero. But, in truthfulness it should hit a regular piece of paper at 50 yards out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:14:21 PM EDT
So if I look through my sight and tilt my head to the left the red dot will follow my lead but the barrel will still be pointed in another direction, generally speaking I’ll need to keep the red circle in the middle right?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:16:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:16:35 PM EDT by Rakky]

I was told by a friend that EOTech sights come sighted in so I wouldn’t have to bother with that

Get a new friend. Why the elevation and windage adjustments if that's the case?
If the sight post if messing with your mind, think of it like this. If you get a proper sight picture with your BUIS and front sight, the red dot should also be on target, if sighted in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:17:45 PM EDT

So if I look through my sight and tilt my head to the left the red dot will follow my lead but the barrel will still be pointed in another direction, generally speaking I’ll need to keep the red circle in the middle right?

No. Wherever the red dot is is where the rifle is aiming (if sighted in). Doesn't matter where your head is, as long as you can see the dot.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:22:19 PM EDT
I still don’t understand, if I put my AR in a vise and put my head in the bottom right hand corner the circle would wonder to the top left hand corner, the rifle would still shoot strait and not left.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:23:41 PM EDT
Correct. It's what's called a "reflex" sight. It's weird but true (you can try it). Wherever the dot is, is where the shot goes, regardless of where the dot is in the window.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:26:04 PM EDT

I still don’t understand, if I put my AR in a vise and put my head in the bottom right hand corner the circle would wonder to the top left hand corner, the rifle would still shoot strait and not left.

Trust us. It shoots where the dot is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:26:19 PM EDT

Your HEAD is moving, not the rifle. The reticle in the EOTech "moves" because you move. Since it's a single point sight, you do not need a front and rear to line up. If you'll notice, however you move your head, the reticle stays sighted on the same point.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:29:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:31:07 PM EDT by Hylton]
So when I through my rifle up and the circle is in the top left hand corner my shot will hit the top left hand corner? Reticle doesn’t need to be in the center with my front sight post?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:33:58 PM EDT

So when I through my rifle up and the circle is in the top left hand corner my shot will hit the top left hand corner? Reticle doesn’t need to be in the center with my front sight post?

Correctimundo
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:36:03 PM EDT
Thanks guys.......................still confused
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:38:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:39:55 PM EDT by WIZZO_ARAKM14]
Let's see if I can clear this up for you.

Put dot on target. Pull trigger.

If it doesn't hit where you're aiming, ZERO the EOThingy until it does.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:44:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 8:46:35 PM EDT by rlcanon]
Go back to your example of having your rifle chucked up in a vise with the barrel pointed so every shot goes dead center in the bullseye. If you move your head around, the center dot of the reticle moves around the screen but stays dead center in the bullseye of the target, assuming of course that its zeroed in.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:45:40 PM EDT
goin to sight in my 552 this weekend. Got a question. When usuing buis, if the dot is on top of the front sight post, will that be the general POI?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:47:32 PM EDT
If you're using your rear sight as well, and getting proper sight picture, yes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:48:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By silveradoguy17:
goin to sight in my 552 this weekend. Got a question. When usuing buis, if the dot is on top of the front sight post, will that be the general POI?

Unless you've used a riser, yes. The EOTech will co-witness with standard A2 style irons.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:51:03 PM EDT
nope matech buis plan on sighting the buis in first then the eothingy
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:06:49 PM EDT

Think about your question, the rifle is in a vise, it's not moving. The only thing moving is your head.The sight isn't moving, it's mounted to the rifle, your perspective of the reticule is all that's moving. Don't look at the reticule, look beyond it at the target, and you'll see how it makes no dif. where the reticule is within the EOTech window. Anywhere in that window is the same spot in space.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:11:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/20/2006 9:16:49 PM EDT by Hylton]
The circle is
...HERE...

and my barrel is ...HERE....the shot will still hit
...Here?...

Being you guys said what ever the circle is on it will hit, well if I put my rifle in a vise and the barrel was pointed at a ball and I look left to a second ball the bullet would hit the second ball being the circle was left on ball 2 right
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:38:12 PM EDT

The circle is
...HERE...

and my barrel is ...HERE....the shot will still hit
...Here?...

Being you guys said what ever the circle is on it will hit, well if I put my rifle in a vise and the barrel was pointed at a ball and I look left to a second ball the bullet would hit the second ball being the circle was left on ball 2 right

No. If you put your rifle in a vise, with the iron sights on ball 1, and the EoTech is also on ball 1 then no matter where the red dot seems to be within the sight, it's still on ball 1, and that's where the round will hit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:44:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By NoAim:

Originally Posted By silveradoguy17:

Unless you've used a riser, yes. The EOTech will co-witness with standard A2 style irons.

DOH!!! Forgot to mention that, and I use a LaRue!!! Brain fart.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 9:53:27 PM EDT
Maybe this will help.
1.Take out your rifle, make sure its cleared and safed
2. turn on your EOTECH
3. put your gun in the vise (or set it so it wont move)
4. pick a point on your wall and aim rifle (vise) so that the center of the eotech reticle is on that point.
5. now without touching the rifle to change point of aim, move your head around while concentrating on the point on the wall that you chose to point the reticle at.

you will see that while the reticle moves around in the sight the center of the reticle will stay centered on the point on the wall. The reticle seems to move because the only way that it can keep on target while your head is moving is to change its apparent angle to your eye. The sight uses a couple of lenses (not exactly sure how this works) that create this optical effect. That being said DONT WORRY ABOUT WHERE YOUR HEAD IS AS LONG AS YOU CAN SEE THE RETICLE, PUT DOT ON TARGET, PULL TRIGGER, DONE. Happy shooting.
-jls7
Top Top