Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/10/2006 9:16:55 AM EDT
I am pretty happy with respects to my AR, built it up from a Stag lower, RRA LPK, A2 stock, supposed to RRA or DPMS upper with a 20" HBAR 1/9 twist DPMS barrel, NM freefloat handguard set up, DPMS BUIS A2 'hider , upper was bought used from the EE with 700 rds on it, guy was claiming 1.75" @ 200 yds with BHA ammo, thought cool sounds decent enough....

Anyway, cannot get it to group any better than about 2" @ 100, and that ain't cutting it for me, what are the options available to me to help the accuracy. I have tried it scoped and with irons with Federal, Win, and Lake City ammo in various flavors as well as some I wanna say Aussie surplus, it all shoots about the same. I pulled the 'hider off and cleaned the carbon off the crown as well. I am buying a JP Enterprises trigger set-up from another shooter, (3.5# trigger, lightweight high speed hammer), and am curious if this will help, or not.

Need suggestions please
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:24:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/10/2006 9:25:13 AM EDT by bigbore]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:26:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hickman:
... I have tried it scoped and with irons with Federal, Win, and Lake City ammo in various flavors as well as some I wanna say Aussie surplus,....Need suggestions please

Have you TRIED it with the Black Hills ammo the seller suggested?

There is a difference between quality ammo and blasting ammo...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:37:05 AM EDT
Are you shooting with irons? Most people will probably have a hard time getting MOA at 100 yards with irons. No offense intended if you are a top shooter and can do that regularly. 2" groups at 100 yards out of a regular HBAR with irons and a stock trigger is pretty damn good in my opinion.

Your set-up sounds somewhat similar to my 20" - stock trigger, HBAR with 1/9 twist, freefloat tube, several hundred rounds through the barrel already. With decent ammo I can get close to MOA, but that's with a medium-power scope, not irons.

Here's a link to a thread about my recent shooting - where I'm shooting XM193 and BH (lot of pictures of groups on page 3): www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=16&t=264855
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:38:26 AM EDT
I am far from a high master shooter, but better than casual, by far... With my 308 Mauser, I consistently shoot below .5" @ 100 yds with handloads, I suppose I should try reloading for the AR as well, but it is a PITA with a single stage press, too slow lol. The guy I bought the upper from shot NRA highpower with it, so I ASSUME he knew better than to clean from the muzzle with a steel rod... ASSUME being the operative word here, guess I could pm or email him...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:41:49 AM EDT
Tried it with both scope and irons DK, about the same group size both ways, scope is an older Tasco World Class 4-16, made in Japan good glass in that one.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:44:09 AM EDT
Forest, I tried the 40 grain Win as well, as that is supposed to do so well, improved the groups about a RCH.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:18:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By hickman:
Forest, I tried the 40 grain Win as well, as that is supposed to do so well, improved the groups about a RCH.

That is still not as good as Black Hills ammo. Find out what load he was using (there are several good match loads from 52gr to 77gr) and give it a try.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:24:50 PM EDT
Will doforest, thanks. Still going to mail out a money order for the JP trigger though, nice upgrade and $40 cheaper than on JP Ent site...
Top Top