Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/29/2005 11:52:40 AM EDT
Quick question on the CavArms lower.  It has it's own pivot pins and doesn't look like it uses the ones in a lower parts kit.  Are they reliable enough for duty use?  Not that I would use them in that fashion.

tks.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:52:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes they have there own pivot  pins so the ones froma lower parts kit will not be used.  You should be aware that the Hammer pin required is longer than normal.  The normal one but it is not a good idea.  As for real time use.  Only you can decide that once you get the rifle together and have shot the crap out of it.  I trust my normal lowers more but the Cav arms ones could be a fine duty gun platform.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:22:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Wait, you're telling me I need to find a Cavarms specific hammer pin?  They are not milspec on that part?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:56:42 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yes they have there own pivot  pins so the ones froma lower parts kit will not be used.  You should be aware that the Hammer pin required is longer than normal.  The normal one but it is not a good idea.  As for real time use.  Only you can decide that once you get the rifle together and have shot the crap out of it.  I trust my normal lowers more but the Cav arms ones could be a fine duty gun platform.  

Quoted:
Wait, you're telling me I need to fine a Cavarms specific hammer pin?  They are not milspec on that part?

I think he is trying to tell you that, however that's incorrect.   A longer hammer pin is not necessary nor is there one even available.  The receiver is slightly wider on the outside than a standard lower and thus the hammer pin is not flush with the outside.  The notch in the hammer pin that engages with the hammer's J pin remains unaffected and functions the same way as a standard aluminum lower.

As for the pivot pins, they're plenty secure for a duty gun.  You wouldn't have any issues with it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:01:32 PM EDT
[#4]
sp0rk,

thanks for clearing that up.

Also thanks for the opinion on the pivot pins.  They were odd at first but they look pretty sturdy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top