Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 7:43:11 PM EDT
I just finished my second build using what should be a DPMS LPK. I used a DPMS LPK for my first build to good satisfaction. It came in a bag clearly packaged by DPMS. The new lpk purchased online from one of our newer industry partners came in a plain plastic bag with only their own label marked with their name and saying dpms part kit. The pins  have tool marks not found on any of three dpms spare parts kits I have wich all look the same. All the metal coloring is also different than known DPMS part kits. The selecter also has a tic mark on the right side denoting firing mode not found on my genuine dpms kit. I'm thinking I got a generic kit they labeled themselves as dpms and charged a premium price for ($65.00). Any one have known dpms selecter switch with a tic mark on the right hand side? I don't want to name names with out a good indication I've been ripped. Is there any thing to worry about with the generic kits sold in unmarked plastic bags?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 7:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Post a picture.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:55:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Better yet, contact DPMS and voice your concern.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:57:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I would have to say $65 IS a premium price for a DPMS LPK.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:12:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I`ve seen Dpms Lpk`s in plain plastic bags with no label, bags with a Dpms hang tag. and also in blister-packs. Also with Dpms Lpks I have noticed in the past when I have used them, that components can vary in appearance and quality(ie.) spec. For that reason, I now use Stag Lpk`s.
 I do however like Dpms hammers. They are the un-notched variety and I prefer these to the notched hammers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 1:02:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I would have to say $65 IS a premium price for a DPMS LPK.

+1 for that price i would have gone bushmaster
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:11:08 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used 2 Dpms kits, 1 bought local in a plain plastic bag and 1 bought direct from DPMS in an unmarked  plastic bag.
Both have the the line (longer and thinner than a RRA) on the right side of the selector.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:39:12 AM EDT
[#7]
My DPMS LPK has the tick mark on the selector also.  My pins also did show tooling marks, I have since switched then to a nice set of Colt pins (talk about a premium price).
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:39:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks a lot for the replies, I feel better about it now, I checked the hammer and trigger and they look identical to my known set. I know I paid more than the going price for the kit but wanted it shipped with an upper I purchased from the same vendor. I like the dpms hammer and have had no problems at all with my first set. This new set assembled well and passes all the function tests so I'll consider good to go unless it causes problems later on.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 4:57:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Understand something about DPMS. They don't make anything, and buy their components from whatever contractor has what they need that week.  If your first two sets were of decent quality, you were vwery lucky.  Most DPMS innards, except for the hammers mentioned above, are loaded w/tool marks, and colors vary from light to dark, depending on who they got what from that week.

Now in this day and age all the AR makers, including Colt, are sourcing stuff from subcontractors. Most of the well known outfits though are using the same people from order to order; so their pieces are pretty uniform in quality and appearance.  DPMS seems to be an exception to the rule, and appear to use all kinds of sources.  What's worse, they apparently do no inspection of what they get. Thus, they put out a batch of bolts that broke awhile back. Later, people were getting front hinge pins that were too big and wouldn't fit.

I personally own a DPMS C7 type upper in which the channel for the cocking handle is too narrow. Fortunately, they had also built a bunch of rods that were too narrow, so I found one that fit

All the above is why I tend to stay away from DPMS stuff these days. It's not that none of their stuff is good. Plenty of it is.  It's just that you never know from time to time whether you're going to get a good one or junk.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:45:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I have used DPMS small parts including several complete LPK's and I have yet to run into any problems with any of their parts.
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have used DPMS small parts including several complete LPK's and I have yet to run into any problems with any of their parts.

+1...I have their LPK's in 3 different lowers with zero fit issues. I have had ZERO problems with every piece of DPMS parts that I have bought..

Bushmaster...well that's a different story..
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 7:22:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I am sure you will find people who have horror stories about fit and finish of parts no matter what company they have bought them from.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top