Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/22/2005 3:52:47 PM EDT
I was looking at buying a 16" pencil barreled upper for my M4 lower. Currently it has a nice M4 upper with Aimpoint, BUIS, m33 foreend, a tango down VFG, and a phantom. I would like to get a pencil upper w/ an Eotech for some lightweight action. I handled a pencil barreled colt in the gunshop the other day and really liked the weight reduction and change of balance. I think that getting this setup, a few more mags, some magpuls, a load bearing tac-vest, and an Isreali style sling would make for a sweet go-to gun package. So wadda you guys think? Pros & Cons of the pencil barrel?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I cn't think of any disadvantage to a lightweight barrel.   Both my 10.25" and 14.5" duty rifles have, or will have, that barrel style on them.  Unless you're using a M203 you might as well save the weight.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one.  No complaints.  It's gonna get hot faster than an M4 profile barrel and probably won't be as accurate, other things equal.

For $600 you can get one of ABS's carbon wrapped barrels and have the best of both worlds
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:49:34 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have one.  No complaints.  It's gonna get hot faster than an M4 profile barrel and probably won't be as accurate, other things equal.

For $600 you can get one of ABS's carbon wrapped barrels and have the best of both worlds hr

Any reason for the loss of accuracy?
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For $600 you can get one of ABS's carbon wrapped barrels and have the best of both worlds

No real loss of accuracy, but it will heat up faster, thus shifting POI sooner.  But it will also cool faster than an M4 profile....
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:58:39 AM EDT
[#5]
It's my favorite barrel. I have four of them.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:32:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Heavier barrels are stiffer than lighter ones.  That's why you see heavier profiles on target and varmint guns.  That said, all my ARs have "pencil" barrels and shoot well.  My A1 style rifle has a USGI 1x12 pencil barrel and shoots better than it's supposed to with XM193 and Q3131A.  IIRC the dispersion spec for the ammo is 2 MOA and my rifle will shoot 1 to 1.5" groups at 100 yards.  My Superlight doesn't shoot quite as well, but will still print 2" groups at 100 yards (all w/the iron sights).
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I have one and would recomend them.  They just feel right.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top