Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/10/2005 7:50:33 AM EDT
What do you guys think about the AR-15s made by High Standard?
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:06:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Surely with all the AR owners around this site someone has to know something about High Standard.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:43:57 PM EDT
[#2]
When I went in to buy my bushy they had a High Standard as well.  Same price.  I would stick to the other options.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 9:56:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Well..the High Standard is local.....and I can get it a little cheaper than a Bushy.

I heard from a reliable source that the High Standard ARs use a lot of Colt parts. Might be true...might not be. I know little about them and was hoping someone out there did.

Thanx for your input and that is good advice ( just wish i knew someone that has owned one)
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 5:55:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess noone out there owns one....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:29:19 PM EDT
[#5]
well...guess I get to be a guinea pig.....
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I handled one when I was shopping for my AR. Metal work was, about average, but I did not strip it down for an piece by piece inspection.  I did note that the hardware (forearms and stock) seemd a little chintzy.  There were gaps or warps at the seams where the two halves met.  That did not impress me.  It might be all right for a truck gun, but I would wait for reports from those that get a closer look and are much better qualified than I am to offer anything else except my limited experience opinion. I bought an RRA.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
website?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:42:20 PM EDT
[#8]
nevermind
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:46:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:22:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds a bit ironic that a company called "high standard" makes a rifle of pretty low standards

- rem

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#11]
gunblast.com had a review of them but i cant find one to look at. is this another case of a well respected name being sold off the way charles daly has changed hands over the years.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:44:33 AM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the info guys
I was looking for an AR to tinker with and this one fit my budget...$750.
After I tinker with it for a while..I plan on building a better one. I don't know much about them,all of my guns are for hunting(except my SKS.) I figured I would buy one to learn the parts before I attempted to build one.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Just picked up a High Standard stripped lower today.  Dealer said they are made by Stag.  DPMS LPK went in perfectly.  Comparing the HS with my Stag, they appear to be of the same quality, so I don't doubt the dealer's claim.  Nice finish, smooth edges, no leftover forging marks.

(Sorry about the crappy lighting)
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:17:46 PM EDT
[#14]
That looks nicer than 3 Bushmaster receivers I have.

Just ordered 4 of these for future projects. Hopefully they work out.
Looks like they will.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:39:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Brownells is selling complaete High Standard lowers for $295.95. (part # 100-002-328). Seems a bit expensive.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Just picked up a High Standard stripped lower today.  Dealer said they are made by Stag.  DPMS LPK went in perfectly.  Comparing the HS with my Stag, they appear to be of the same quality, so I don't doubt the dealer's claim.  Nice finish, smooth edges, no leftover forging marks.

www.jdlawhon.com/gunpix04/hsstripped.jpg

www.jdlawhon.com/gunpix04/hs01.jpg

www.jdlawhon.com/gunpix04/hs02.jpg

(Sorry about the crappy lighting)

The vendor is either misinformed or full of BS.

Per BATF rules the city of manufacture must be the city of where the manufacturer is in.  As far as I know CMT does not have a manufacturing facility in Houston Texas.

Its why PWA lowers back in the day were marked Milan Illinois (where LMT was who actually made them) and not Washington where PWA was based.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:10:54 PM EDT
[#17]
cmt or not the quality is identical

handled them and are every bit as equal to cmt's quality
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:14:15 PM EDT
[#18]
i potd about this last year when i caught sight of a few in a local shop,i found that it seemed like lew horton was handling them mostly and the website is a joke. good luck finding anything other then whats on this thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:16:11 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
cmt or not the quality is identical

handled them and are every bit as equal to cmt's quality

I am not doubting it.  There are only a few places to buy a lower reciever forging so everyone starts out with pretty much the same thing.  And  in this day and age of computer controlled equipment its not hard to turn out something as "easy" as a lower receiver with decent quality.

Just saying that its not made by CMT (which would give it instant credibility).
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 5:47:32 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Brownells is selling complaete High Standard lowers for $295.95. (part # 100-002-328). Seems a bit expensive.

That's because Brownell's is selling them.

I have never failed to find something identical to an item sold by Brownells' cheaper elsewhere.  Never.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Any range reports on the High Standard's yet? Our gun club is gonna be raffling one and I have partially agreed to sell some tickets. I kinda hate to sell tickets for a piece of shit though.......
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]

I have never failed to find something identical to an item sold by Brownells' cheaper elsewhere. Never.

This might be true in retail, but with the industry/LE discount, Brownells is one of the most cost effective suppliers on the market. They also have the very best service I have ever had from a mail order company.

During my police academy fireamrs training, I had a trigger return spring on my P220 break, through my own fault. I called Brownells that evening, and I had a spring the next day, with no added shipping. When I went to pay them, they advised me it was on the house.

I always check Brownells before anyone else. I have even paid a bit more, just to give them my business.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Saw them again this year at the Shot Show. This year, the rifles looked A LOT better than the ones last year. Their 20" barrels were mid-weight under the handguards which I was very happy to see. For those who are interested, their barrels come both in chrome molly and chrome lined. The place I work wanted to get a chrome lined, so we had to order it special. As I recall, barrels were 1/9. I dont know if the collapsible stocks they were using had mil spec size reciever extensions or not? All this info comes from speaking to someone from High Standard at the Lipsey's booth.

That's good to know. The one that is gonna be raffled is nice. It's at the shop already and I looked at it, felt nice and trigger was normal for a "regular" Ar trigger. Finish was nice. Seemed like a normal run of the mill 16" HBAR carbine. I'd like to fire it but I doubt I'd get the pleasure.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:14:36 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Saw them again this year at the Shot Show. This year, the rifles looked A LOT better than the ones last year. Their 20" barrels were mid-weight under the handguards which I was very happy to see. For those who are interested, their barrels come both in chrome molly and chrome lined. The place I work wanted to get a chrome lined, so we had to order it special. As I recall, barrels were 1/9. I dont know if the collapsible stocks they were using had mil spec size reciever extensions or not? All this info comes from speaking to someone from High Standard at the Lipsey's booth.

Nice, I like the mid weight profile a lot better then the military/light weight under the handguards, unless you are calling the government profile a mid weight....
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:33:47 AM EDT
[#26]
As to the location marking, a manufacturer can file a marking variance with the ATF, and put the end-buyer's city on instead of the actual manufacturers city. So, If you were machining forgings in CT, but the buyer, who has a contract for "X" number of thousands of receivers, wants it marked with their city in (oh, pick a State) you file a letter of variance, mark the recivers with their city, and everyone's happy.

No big deal really.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:55:58 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have never failed to find something identical to an item sold by Brownells' cheaper elsewhere. Never.

This might be true in retail, but with the industry/LE discount, Brownells is one of the most cost effective suppliers on the market. They also have the very best service I have ever had from a mail order company.

During my police academy fireamrs training, I had a trigger return spring on my P220 break, through my own fault. I called Brownells that evening, and I had a spring the next day, with no added shipping. When I went to pay them, they advised me it was on the house.

I always check Brownells before anyone else. I have even paid a bit more, just to give them my business.

I'm glad they give cops a break, but their pricing structure makes it obvious that such a break comes at the expense of the average customer who is neither in the industry or in law enforcement.

I'll keep shopping elsewhere.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:10:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Pay 30 bucks and get a C&R FFL and th eprice breaks appy to you as well.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:24:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Per BATF rules the city of manufacture must be the city of where the manufacturer is in.  As far as I know CMT does not have a manufacturing facility in Houston Texas.

Its why PWA lowers back in the day were marked Milan Illinois (where LMT was who actually made them) and not Washington where PWA was based.

You are completely wrong.

High Standard uses CMT receivers.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are completely wrong.

High Standard uses CMT receivers.

An HS rep told me CMT/Stag.

The quality is excellent!
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 5:35:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top