Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2003 1:14:22 PM EDT
I am starting an spr, so far I have a bushmaster lower that will be used for the project, I intend on buying the standard length Vltor stock for it, along with either a rock river or jewel 2 stage triger, optics will be a trijicon TA11F, but I am lost as to where to find an spr upper, I have looked at MSTN and like the MK12 mod1 upper, does any one know the specs like the rifling, or if it has  match chamber that would limit my choices for ammo, and how much cash it will cost me, {I couldn't find a phone # for MTSN either},  is this same upper available anywhere else?

any input is apreciated, thanks
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:30:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless you build it yourself it's easier to stay with mstn.  Do a search for "spr" and you will find all the specs. It's a 556 chamber and 1 in 7.75 twist.  If you need more help let us know, I'm sure you will get more responses shortly.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 1:42:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Look in the EE for any of MSTN's ads and you'll find Wes's contact info.

I don't have one, so I can't comment directly, but several people have had problems with their RRA 2 stage trigger's longevity.  KAC also makes a match trigger you may want to look at.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 2:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can assemble an upper yourself, tht is a good way to go.  Order a barrel from Compass Lake Engineering turned to your specs, buy the FF forend of your choice and go to town.  

People say the RRA triggers can go single stage on you, so I might suggest getting the tuned version from John Holliger at White Oak Precision for like $115.  Many High Power shooters swear by them.  I have one but have not shot it enough to judge its durability.

Wes at MSTN can set you up with anything you need, including an "official" SPR contour barrel, as well as do the assembly if you are not able to do it yourself.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:21:57 AM EDT
[#4]
I've decided to build the upper my self and have started to locate parts for it, although I would prefer assembly to be done by an experienced rifle smith, I'm having trouble locating a bolt carrier and barrel for the project, I know MSTN builds his with a Les Baer bolt carrier, but they are not listed individualy on their website, also will I be better off buying the barrel direct from compass lake or MSTN? thanks again
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 9:13:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I've decided to build the upper my self and have started to locate parts for it, although I would prefer assembly to be done by an experienced rifle smith, I'm having trouble locating a bolt carrier and barrel for the project, I know MSTN builds his with a Les Baer bolt carrier, but they are not listed individualy on their website, also will I be better off buying the barrel direct from compass lake or MSTN? thanks again
View Quote

Ok. The question is, how 'SPR' do you want your SPR? If you want 'exacting' specs, then MSTN is really one of the only places you can go for the barrel/bolt combo. The complete specs (as in the sizing of the barrel, not the length/twist) of the barrel are 'hush-hush', and those who know aren't talking. Now, if you're looking to build an 'almost' SPR, there are a few dealers on here that do some damn fine SPR uppers. They have the look, and they shoot quite well according to range reports, but they're not the *REAL* deal.

Pop into the Rifles/Uppers/Lowers section, and you'll find examples built by a few of the other dealers. I can't remember, but I think new-arguy has a relatively sweet 'SPR' using a stainless steel barrel...and there was a recent thread on I think an ADCO built rifle that even mimicked the OPS Inc brake for an extremely close replica.

W/ regards to the MSTN build uppers.....I don't remember which designation was which, but the KAC rail forend upper was I think $1825, and the PRI forend upper was $2250. When you total up the cost of the parts used, and factor in a relatively small smithing charge, they work out right.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top