Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2003 7:15:40 PM EDT
Hey im new here, just like to say its a good website, lots of info

Ive always been a build it yourself person and i have gotten interested lately to build my own AR-15, ive already read the information on the site about it and it sounds like something that i would enjoy doing

now my question is how would i be able to buy the lower receiver of the AR-15? Ive looked around for an answer but i always see "you must be a FFL dealer or have a form 4 or be in law enforcement"  so is there no way for the average person like myself to own an ar-15?

because the ar15 is an assualt rifle, i know i have to come across paperwork and registering it and all that fun stuff so if you guys could help me here i would really appreciate it, thanks in advance
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:32:28 PM EDT
[#1]
You buy the lower receiver as you would a handgun... through your local FFL.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 7:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
"now my question is how would i be able to buy the lower receiver of the AR-15? Ive looked around for an answer but i always see "you must be a FFL dealer or have a form 4 or be in law enforcement"

FFL holders can be found at gunshops. You must have the lower sent to them, then pick it up from there.

"...so is there no way for the average person like myself to own an ar-15? "

I see a CA,USA over to the left. Sorry, California does not allow Non-LEOs to own new AR15s, the AR15s in California were required to be registered years ago. Even if the assault weapons ban does sunset, you're still outa luck.

"because the ar15 is an assualt rifle, i know i have to come across paperwork and registering it and all that fun stuff so if you guys could help me here i would really appreciate it, thanks in advance "

Im not sure on the laws on buying a registered AR15 in California, but in states that dont have their own gun laws codified into law, there is little to none paperwork wise. I know that here in FL, 2 FL residents can do face to face purchases with no paperwork involved.

As for being the law abiding citizen you are, you arent completely out of luck. In California, an Assault weapon has detachable mag tech. speaking of course. So.... some guy got the bright idea of fixing a 10rd magazine to the lower, thus making is CA legal.

http://www.gogogadgets.net/index.htm   this is the closest you can get to an AR15. Last thing: since the Fab10 isnt considered a assault weapon, you can put a retractable stock,bayonet lug, and a flash hider on it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:27:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I was a bit hasty. I did not see you were from CA. No ARs for you. The next best thing you can get is the FAB-10 (it's a postban AR style rifle with a 10 round permamently attached mag).
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top