Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/26/2003 5:11:55 AM EDT
OK, after looking into getting a new "preban" barrel after the ban expires (fingers crossed), I think it might be better to just thread my current (postban) barrel and add a Front sight tower with a Bayo lug. How hard would this be, and are there any special problems with threading my own barrel?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I may be mistaken but I thought all "post ban" barrels were turned down in diameter at the end to prevent threading.

I could be mistaken.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:32:02 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no Idea, thats why Im askin
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 5:38:55 AM EDT
[#3]
If your barrel is larger than .500 (most are) then threading is not a problem.

Here's a place that has the tools to do what you want. [url]http://www.dynasystems-ltd.com/GunFile/Products.html[/url]
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 7:38:02 AM EDT
[#4]
FSB arent as easy as you thing to remove and install....As for threading your barrel HAS to be .500 inch if its bigger then a lathe wil be needed to turn it down then it can be threaded.. most shops charge between 40 and 60 to thread a barrel.PLUS dnt forget to crown it.. other wise you COULD have fliers that key hole
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:13:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
PLUS dnt forget to crown it.. other wise you COULD have fliers that key hole
View Quote

If he's not chopping the barrel, there's no need to re-crown it.  He'll only be touching the outside.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
PLUS dnt forget to crown it.. other wise you COULD have fliers that key hole
View Quote

If he's not chopping the barrel, there's no need to re-crown it.  He'll only be touching the outside.
View Quote

I agree. Done correctly on a lathe, you'll never touch the crown. Even with the tools from dyna-systems you only use the alignment tool in the bore to get the die started. Unless this a sniper/match rifle I wouldn't worry about it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 8:34:20 AM EDT
[#7]
You are correct .
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, one problem down.

Now about that FSB. I thought it was just run out the taper pins and pin the new one on where the old one was. What do I have to do to keep the gas from escaping?
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#9]
i had a post ban upper threaded a few months ago.  i don't really care about the bayo lug..i'll get that when i get a new upper.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 3:35:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Now about that FSB. I thought it was just run out the taper pins and pin the new one on where the old one was.
View Quote

Yep.  You even might be able to get away with using the old taper pins; I always do.  Others will have different views.

[b]Usually[/b] the pins are pretty easy to get out.  A set of concave punches is helpful, but a regular set will do.  Only once (on an ASA 9mm upper) have I been unable to budge the pins, even with a solid base and a large hammer.

What do I have to do to keep the gas from escaping?
View Quote

It's just a slip fit.  You will probably get a little gas leakage at the front sight base at first, but most of this will go away as the thin spaces get filled up with carbon.
Link Posted: 9/26/2003 6:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a question will threading the end of a krieger barrel affect its accuracy? im not talking about cutting it just threading it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:16:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok, I just mesured the barrel at the muzzle.

It looks like about .70 in. Will this have to be turned down to a diffrent size, or can I just run the die over it?
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:32:46 AM EDT
[#13]
IF the ban is not renewed, manufacturers will probably produce post-ban compatiable flash-hiders...Downside would be that they'd be permanently attached [:(]
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 9:41:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Whaddya mean?

If the ban is not renewed, preban and postban go away.

We could thread our barrels in peace and use A-2 flash hiders if we so desired.

We could put bayonet lugs on our ARs and use them to cut steak, or carve trees after we shoot them. Or stab errant soda cans after fill them with holes.

No need to perminately attach anything. We'd be as free as we were on september 13, 1994. (which still needs some work, but you know, one step at a time.)
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Of course to do it properly you will need a lathe. The barrel will need to be removed from the upper and turned between centers for best alignment of the threads. .7 will work nicely when turned down to .5 and leave a .1 shoulder for the flash hider or silencer to line up against.

It's not a home project unless you home has a lathe.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 1:37:16 PM EDT
[#16]
notso, what i ment was that they'll probably make a flash-hider, that does not need a threaded barrel to attach. Thats just a guess though, i'd still prefer buying a completly new preban barrel.
Link Posted: 9/27/2003 6:11:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm told that fluted barrels are not very accurate unless cryo treated.  Something about built up stress from machining.

Wouldn't this also apply to lathe turned and threaded barrels?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top