Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2003 1:51:55 PM EDT
I curently have a 20" RRA with a Wilson brake. For my next rifle, I'm going to get a M4 profile upper from RRA, and I was thinking about going with the pressed-on bridcage suppressor, which is purely for looks. The reason I like it better is that it doesn't add to the length of the 16" barrel.

The question is - even though I have the Wilson brake on my current gun, I have no comparison about how a gun shoots without a brake. Does it make a big difference on a .223 or should I stick with my aesthetic choice and go with the "fake" brake ?
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes the brake makes a big difference in both muzzle flip and flash.
You don't know anyone that you can compare rifles with ? Actually trying it yourself is the only way to go; don't rely on internet heresay. But make it a good test. I suggest shooting the El Presidente' while using a good shooting timer. Compare your times with and without the brake. Remember, it isn't just how fast you can fire, but also where those shots hit. Again, I would only count runs with all A-Zone hits. The rifle will fire at the same rate with or without the brake; however the brake makes rapid accuracy easier.
Then go out at night and have someone fire your rifle with the brake and then one without while you look on from the side.
Anything else is just speculation.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 3:47:16 PM EDT
[#2]
In My opinion, the Wilson brake is designed to look cool.
It gives the rifle the pre-ban look without pissing off the ATF.

I doubt you could tell much difference in handling between the Wilson and a plain muzzle/RRA fake flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:05:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a pair of 16" bushmasters 1 with a wilson break 1 with no break,the rifle with the break has no muzzle flip at all,the rifle without a break does have a small amount of muzzle flip.The break makes it alot easier to fire follow up shots while staying on target.Both rifles are on about the same sound level I dont notice one being louder than the other.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 4:16:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have posted this before, but here goes again. I have a Wilson brake on my main AR. I was out one day with a buddy of mine who was shooting a pre-ban Colt CAR. We were shooting El Presidente's. He tried the drill with my rifle a few times. When he got home he ordered one for his Colt replacing his flash suppressor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes. Wilson brakes a very effective.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I also agree wilson brake makes a differ after doing my own side by side comparison.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:38:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
.....Yes the brake makes a big difference in both muzzle flip and flash.
Then go out at night and have someone fire your rifle with the brake and then one without while you look on from the side.
Anything else is just speculation.  
View Quote

How does the flash compare?
I know the USGI flash suppressor makes a big difference, depending on ammo/powder.

I never fired the Wilson side by side with another rifle, but I never noticed it doing much on the post-ban I had.

At 6'4" 225lbs., nothing in 5.56mm seems like much. However, I never compared it with My shot timer.

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/21/2003 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been to two different carbine classes that compared flash during the night shoots. They fired every different configuration present out in front of the firing line, so everyone could see it. The muzzle brakes are no where near as effective as the best flash suppressors. My Wilson was not much worse than the standard GI flash suppressor. A bare barrel shoots a ball of fire out the end that is several feet in diameter. So, it does attenuate the flash to some extent, but nothing like a Vortex or a Phantom.

Don't get me wrong on this whole muzzle brake issue. I am not saying that it is some kind of miricle device. But, it does decrease muzzle flip to a noticable degree. If you are going to hang something on the end of the barrel, why not make is something that increases your performance by some degree ? I personally like having some kind of device on the end of my barrel. I admit that I like the military look. But I don't get the idea of hanging a device on the end that does nothing but look good when you can have something that looks very similar AND actually does something.
A muzzle brake isn't a substitute for proper stance and technique. It only adds to it.
I agree that I don't want the overall length to be increased by the additon of a brake. My main AR had the Wilson brake added on top of the 16" barrel. I have had two brakes installed by KKF and had him cut and recrown the barrel so that the overall length was 16" after the addition of the brake. Yes, you are losing barrel length which will decrease your velocity, but the difference is very slight. You are not removing very much barrel at all. And yes this costs more money than just putting something on with allen screws or something similar. But it isn't a lot and you will have a neat, professional installation instead of something mickey mouse.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top