Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2003 1:30:29 PM EDT
Hi all. Has anyone ever seen for sale Colt Large Front Takedown pins with allen head screws rather than those darn slotted ones that come with the Colts? I know sooner or later i'm gonna scratch one of my Pre-Bans while using 2 screwdrivers. if you have please provide a link, as I need several. If not, are any members interested in having some made up?

Thanks...

MM419
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I have seen some large pins with a ball detent in it that does no require tools, from bushie.
GG
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 1:55:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks GG, I'll check on that. Need something better than this horse hockey. I wish I was a machinist, or at least had a lathe.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:29:01 PM EDT
[#3]
[url=http://www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/oak-01.asp]LOOK HERE[/url]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:35:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Darn, I just ordered a Post-Ban Patrolmans Carbine barrel assy. for them last Thursday. Could have added that to that order and saved some shipping. Thanks, I'll include that in my next order.

MM419
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#5]
There are a couple of different versions of the aftermarket pivot pin.

Bushmaster’s version simply has a single spring loaded ball detent at one end to hold it on.  A while back, somebody mentioned they had one of these (though I don’t know if it was from Bushmaster) and found it was too long, resulting in quite a bit of sideways movement back and forth by the pin.  

I’ve also wondered if that one detent might start chewing into the aluminum lower.

IMHO, a more interesting pin has three ball detents that are released by a push button on the opposite side of the pin.  I’ve got one, but haven’t tried it yet.  

Brownells carries it.  It’s Kager Systems AR-15 Push-Button Takedown Pin, Stock No. 923-000-039

[image]www.brownells.com/Images/Products/923000039.jpg[/image]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:07:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like I may have to check into the Kager as well. Kager makes a great anti-rotation pin set that I'm going to buy for my M16 so as not to wear the firecontrol holes in my lower. I would assume that their pivot pin would be top-notch as well. The M16 that I bought is a converted Colt SP1, so I'll need to make a decision on a pivot pin also, as I have no need for the double screw setup either.

[img]http://www.dsarms.com/images/triggerpinar.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/23/2003 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW, it appears the Kager takes a somewhat coordinated approach to remove.

You have to push one direction to depress and hold the button that allows the detents to withdraw, while pushing the opposite direction to remove the pin!

Looks to me like it might make a good sobriety test!!  [:D]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top