Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2003 6:02:41 AM EDT
Just got back from the range.  I tried several brands of ammo.  They were all fmj except for one box of 55grain softpoints.  The softpoints would not load in my Bushmaster carbine.  Every one I tried jammed.  I was using the standard 10 round magazine that came with the gun.  Is this normal for this gun?

Also, after about 40 or 45 minutes of shooting maybe 50 or 60 rounds (rapid fire not allowed at this range), the barrel (standard Hbar)was too hot to touch.  Is this normal?
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:17:25 AM EDT
[#1]
I've never had a problem shooting Rem 55gr soft points in my HBARS.  I use them for chucks and skunks around the yard.  Try a different mag.  It's not unusual for a barrel to get that hot, especially if it's already hot and sunny out...that alone wil get it almost too hot to touch.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 1:38:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  Tho I've never owned one, the Bushie 10 round mags have been complained about by others on this site.  Get a US GI 20 or 30 rounder, before you give up on soft points [:D]
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:12:52 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't had any problems with softpoints either. Bushy 10 rounders are POS IMHO. Don't sweat the hot barrel, its normal.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Get rid of the 10 round garbage, and your problems will stop.
Link Posted: 8/18/2003 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#5]
IIRC, the M4 feedramps are supposed to help in these situations (as well as cold weather tests and long rounds)
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
from what you describe, your barrel should only be luke warm [:p]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:26:58 AM EDT
[#7]
The steel Bushy mags are junk! But the aluminum ones are terrific.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:38:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah it will get pretty hot, just as stated above, even the sun will heat it up a bit.  I can now agree that those mags are crap!  I have a bunch of Colt 20 rounders and 30rd USGI mags and they are great, the bushy 10 rd mag is starting to come apart.  The little pins that hold the 2 parts together are workin gout and one has fallen out.  This holds the 2 halves together.  Crapola I tell ya.  Oh yeah I hunt with the soft points and they work fine for me.  Plus I target shot and zero with them for consistancy.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 5:49:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the feedback.  I've already given that box of softpoints away.  I got a good look at the last couple that jammed because I held the gun in the sunlight and looked in.  They were stuck at the bottom of the feed ramps.  The bullets were deformed and actually pushed back in the casing a little.  It's not worth messing with softpoints for me.  It works perfectly with fmj.  As to the barrel, the outside air temp was 104F that day.  So, that didn't help.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:45:57 AM EDT
[#10]
My 16" Bushy HBAR feeds the hollow points and soft points with out a fuss.  But my buddy's Bushy M4gery will jam like they way you describe yours with the soft points and hollow points.  We have tried tons of different US GI 20's and 30's, that ammo is just not reliable out of his rifle.  Don't understand why.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#11]
My 7.5, 11.5, 12, and 20" all eat the Speer 55gr SP handloads, V-Max, have not choked on anything that I can recall, all fed from 20 and 30 round mil-spec mags.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
They were stuck at the bottom of the feed ramps.  The bullets were deformed and actually pushed back in the casing a little.
View Quote

Ah ha!  Sounds exactly like a feed ramp problem, the same problem that M4 ramps should help cure.  I think Kurt's Kustom Firearms can expertly add the M4 ramps for you, or if you are competant, do it yourself with a dremel and skill.
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 6:35:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2003 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
They were stuck at the bottom of the feed ramps.  The bullets were deformed and actually pushed back in the casing a little.
View Quote

Ah ha!  Sounds exactly like a feed ramp problem, the same problem that M4 ramps should help cure.  I think Kurt's Kustom Firearms can expertly add the M4 ramps for you, or if you are competant, do it yourself with a dremel and skill.
View Quote

Yea, I added the ramps myself that way.  Seems to help a lot.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top