Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2003 5:44:37 PM EDT
First of all, I would like to say I am familiar with firearms, but new to the AR-15. I just bought an LEO AR-15 with a DPMS A3 upper w/ 16 " M4 1-7 twist chrome lined barrel. I dont believe DPMS makes chrome lined barrels, so I asked him. He stated that he gets most of his DPMS products from CMMG Inc. which lists a line of 1-7 chrome lined barrels. Is there a way of telling if the barrel is chromed or not? Heres a link to the gun I bought if you would like to take a look.
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=10135001
Thanks for any help you may provide.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 6:19:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 7:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Last time I checked (2 months ago) DPMS does NOT make a chrome lined barrel.  Maybe it's a DPMS upper with someone elses barrel?
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 8:01:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Last time I checked (2 months ago) DPMS does NOT make a chrome lined barrel.  Maybe it's a DPMS upper with someone elses barrel?
View Quote

CMMG has special runs of M4 barrels with 1/7 twist and chrome lining made by DPMS for them.  I think they are the only distributor of the chrome lined DPMS barrels.
Link Posted: 7/19/2003 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
First of all, I would like to say I am familiar with firearms, but new to the AR-15. I just bought an LEO AR-15 with a DPMS A3 upper w/ 16 " M4 1-7 twist chrome lined barrel. I dont believe DPMS makes chrome lined barrels, so I asked him. He stated that he gets most of his DPMS products from CMMG Inc. which lists a line of 1-7 chrome lined barrels. Is there a way of telling if the barrel is chromed or not? Heres a link to the gun I bought if you would like to take a look.
[url]http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=10135001[/url]
Thanks for any help you may provide.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 2:49:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes sir, it is probably chrome-lined.[url]www.cmmginc.com[/url] is currently the only distributor of the 1/7 chrome-lined DPMS barrels.CMMG is an industry member on this board and is a well reputable dealer.I actually just bought one of those uppers for myself.[b]Yohimbo[/b] just did a review of those uppers on this board.BTW, good price you got on that deal.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 11:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

CMMG has special runs of M4 barrels with 1/7 twist and chrome lining made by DPMS for them.  I think they are the only distributor of the chrome lined DPMS barrels.
View Quote

That's good to know.  I wonder why CMMG is the only place to get them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
DPMS [b][u][red]DOES[/b][/u][/red] make chrome lined barrels.  Most of the 14.5" M4 units are manufactured under special build requests from government agencies - the last run of them was for the Border Patrol and we were fortunate enough to receive a couple hundred over-run units in the retail market.

When I last spoke to DPMS they were not sure when the next run of 14.5" barrels was going to be, so I had to settle for the 16" M4's on my last order.  CMMG doesn't have an exclusive on these, but I think they do buy the most.

These are damn nice barrels built to full milspec right down to using 4150 steel and the uppers (if included from DPMS) even had the feed ramp cuts.
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 1:32:41 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah I think they have them at request
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Just a note on those uppers:  the front sight towers are cast and not forged.  That is the only thing on the DPMS uppers that make it not completely milspec.  however, they do have M4 feed cuts which is a definite plus.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top