Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2003 8:30:12 PM EDT
after reading the tears of the sun thread i was interested in finding about about bravo two zero.  lucky one of the local blockbusters had it so i rented it and just finished it.  really good movie IMHO.  anyway,  it was the 3 who got seperated who didnt survive right?  in the book, did it say what actually happened to them or is that even known?  thanks for the help and take care.

steven
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If I remember correctly, the book never really went into any detail about what happened to them. I recommend the book. The movie was good, but alot of what happened at the prison camps was omitted from the flick, pretty graphic stuff too. Also if your interested in Andy, I recommend his other book, "Immediate Action". It goes back to the beginning and covers his whole career, including SAS school.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 12:54:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah "Immediate Action" was a good read. One of my Favorites
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:06:51 AM EDT
[#3]
One of the three that got sepperated was Chris ryan the only member of bravo two Zero to manage to escape,
Pretty much a fubar from the word go, and no one can understand why they didnt use there intended escape route where they probably would have been found in a few days,
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 3:55:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Do you guys know if it's available on DVD?  Can't find it so far.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do you guys know if it's available on DVD?  Can't find it so far.
View Quote

Yes, it is.I rented it from [url]www.netflix.com[/url].Try Amazon if you're looking at buying it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 4:39:36 AM EDT
[#6]
I just finished the book myself. Very good. No it didn't go into much detail about the others that didn't make it just that the bodies were recovered. Eventhough they didn't achieve their objectives for the mission they gave a pretty good account for themselves for such a small patrol. 250 Iraqi soldiers dead and wounded. The interrogations and how he and the others were treated was hard to read. Considering that they could probably have taken any weapon with them they wanted and chose the Armalite is pretty high praise for the rifle.
I have read Andy McNab's other books also (Immediate Action and the fiction). Good reads! Maybe we could have a book discussion area on the site.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 2:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats actually a pretty good idea. Theres so many good ones out there to read too.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't think anyone really knows what happened to those who died, except that they died. I remember in the book they mentioned that they heard the minimi in the distance, and then it stopped. The best part of the book was the end. "If I ran into them (his interrogators) in the street, and I thought I could get away with it, I'd slot them."
I read, and recommend, [b]She Went to War: The Rhonda Cornum Story [/b] I read it a short time ago, she was also captured by the Iraqis, and from the detail of her release, it sounds like she ran into the remaining members after they were released at the end of the war. She didn't say very much but that there were three of them, and they didn't want to be photographed.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 4:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I liked the last sentence of the book too. I like also in his books that the main character is not a killing machine, that there is some conscience as far as the killings the main character committs and he separates the innocent bystander from the "players" who are in his line of work and should understand that they risk getting hurt. Who would I need to email in order to get a book section going?
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 6:57:18 PM EDT
[#10]
My personal best seller list:

Bravo Two Zero
Immediate Action
Marine Sniper:93 Confirmed Kills
Silent Warrior
Black Hawk Down

Black Hawk Down was a great movie, but they left out so much cool stuff. You'd be amazed what multiple TOW missiles can do to a poorly constructed building.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:36:43 PM EDT
[#11]
amazed, and kinda surprised. that was the first I'd read of them being used against anything but armor.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Bravo Two Zero
Immediate Action
Silent Warrior
Black Hawk Down

Black Hawk Down was a great movie, but they left out so much cool stuff. You'd be amazed what multiple TOW missiles can do to a poorly constructed building.
View Quote

Are all these books non-fiction?  I know BHD is, but I'm not familiar with the rest.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 8:53:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Bravo Two Zero
Immediate Action
Silent Warrior
Black Hawk Down

View Quote

Are all these books non-fiction?  I know BHD is, but I'm not familiar with the rest.
View Quote

I believes so, with the possible exception of Silent Warrior, I'm not familiar with that title.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:21:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Silent Warrior is the sequel to Marine Sniper:93 Confirmed Kills. It covers the career of Carlos Hathcock throughout Vietnam, his burning, and all of his post-war rifle matches, as well as the escalation of his multiple sclerosis. The two books are very similar except that Marine Sniper glances over all of his missions over the whole period of the war, Silent Warrior goes into more detail about specific missions and covers more of his life after the war, as well as before it. They are both written by Charles Henderson.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 9:24:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Another good one is "Rogue Warrior" by and about Richard "Demo Dick" Marchinko. He started Seal Team Six.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 10:00:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Two of the three who got lost lived. I have the *other* B2Z movie based on the *other* best-selling B2Z book that goes into more detail about their journey.
Link Posted: 7/7/2003 11:40:02 PM EDT
[#17]
The book by Chris Ryan was much better, at least I thought so. I thought he was more objective.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Kinda hard to be objective when you're scraping your own feces off the floor.
Personally I've always prefered first hand experiences. I do like to find a corroborating source though. I'm still trying to figure out the whole truth of the rogue warrior.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 6:40:25 AM EDT
[#19]
The whole truth on"Rogue Warrior"? Could you elaborate? I read maybe one or two of his books when he 1st started with the "Rogue Warrior" and eventhough I liked the subject matter, Richard Marchinko was a little too hard to take. Talk about an ego.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:28:21 AM EDT
[#20]
That's exactly what I mean. He's controversial, which means that some people disagree with his version of the story. I've found snippets in other books. There are allegations of shenanigans in ST6, and I mean more than the sour grapes he makes it out to be. I'd like to be able to differentiate between the politics of what happened, the myth, and the reality.
I mean, as much as an outsider can expect of a top secret organization about which many people are divided.
IIRC Michael Walsh wrote about his interview for ST6. He left early because of his opinion of Marcinko, and his behavior.
Check out [b]Seal!: From Vietnam's Phoenix Program to Central America's Drug Wars: Twenty-Six Years With a Special Operations Warrior[/b]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:31:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Another good one is "Rogue Warrior" by and about Richard "Demo Dick" Marchinko. He started Seal Team Six.
View Quote

I'm reading one of his books right now. I don't remember the title but it contains stories told by the guys from ST6 not just Marchinko.

Link Posted: 7/8/2003 7:45:08 AM EDT
[#22]
[b]The Real Team: Rogue Warrior [/b]
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#23]
I just ordered the DVD of Bravo-Two-Zero from
Best Buy for $14.99 plus tax and No Freight!
Seth
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:29:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Kinda hard to be objective when you're scraping your own feces off the floor.
Personally I've always prefered first hand experiences.
View Quote

I disagree, while it might be hard at the time, it is important to be objective after the incident.  I've written enough afteraction reports to understand where you are coming from.
Link Posted: 7/8/2003 9:37:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I agree as well that it is important to be objective when reporting the incident. I think it is difficult when it is something that has such a profound effect.
The difference is that the experience. I like being able to see both views of a story. A first hand account from the person involved, because that person was there, and a second view from an impartial source that is able to discern the facts.
It's like a confirmed kill. Sometimes the actual source may be confused, or have a different perception of the reality they are involved in. A monday morning quarterback certainly has more time to look at the event, and be able to look at it from a different perspective.
If I could only have one, I'd prefer the first hand narrative. It may be slightly skewed, but he was there.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top