Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/27/2003 12:29:10 PM EDT
Does anybody use this? I got the info from the Maryland AR15 site. http://groups.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/improvedbattlesightzero.msnw

My rifle is a 16" carbine with a trijicon front sight, removable carry handle and a AO Express same plane rear sight. I have adjusted the sight to -4clicks but am a little confused by the following. After adjusting with the front sight is says;

8. You're done. Leave the sight in this position for 99% of your shooting.

9. If you have to shoot targets you KNOW are 300 meters away or more, just click to the right number on the sight.

10. If you're patrolling, set the sight to 8/3 and snap the aperture forward to 0-2. This will provide the same trajectory as above but with a larger, easier to see thru rear sight. Use this setting if you also have the M68 mounted as it's quicker to transition to if the sight fails.

It confuses me, leave the sight in this position for 99% but then it says to flip it back to large aperature and 6/3?

Help. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. So if I'm shooting between 50 and 200yrds I should be using the large aperature and have the sight set at 6/3 or -4 clicks???

thanks
MStarmer
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:52:44 PM EDT
My take on this was that at a distance of less than 200 yards, large aperture, 6/3 (8/3). That being said, I can't hit squat with the large aperture, so I use the small aperture, -4 (-2) setting all the time. If I were to use the rifle to clear my house? I'd click to the large ap and leave the elevation alone -- close enough for a 6 yard shot! Oh yeah, and I also use the trijicon rear sight. Front sight is also trijicon.
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 1:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/27/2003 1:32:41 PM EDT by Bartholomew_Roberts]
Mstarmer - that is for the military sight. On this sight the small aperture has a different height over bore (6 MOA higher I believe) than the larger aperture because it is intended for longer ranges. Lowering it to -2 clicks is so that when you switch to the small aperture, you will still be on with the elevation wheel. However, since you have a same plane aperture, both your large aperture and small aperture are at the same height and your elevation wheel will be slightly off regardless.
Help. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. So if I'm shooting between 50 and 200yrds I should be using the large aperature and have the sight set at 6/3 or -4 clicks???
View Quote
You can use either the large or small aperture and you don't really need to be at -4 clicks either since you aren't going to match the elevation anyway.
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 9:25:52 AM EDT
Thanks, now it is in perspective and I understand. The shift is the whole reason I switched to the same plane rear sight in the first place. Thanks again.
Top Top