Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 6/18/2003 7:54:51 AM EDT
Would like some feedback on the DPMS rifles.

Accurate?

Good quality? Durable and reliable?

Am looking at an A3 gov't profile upper, FWIW.

Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:01:51 AM EDT
Are you looking to purchase this from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url]? I have two of their 14.5", 1/7 twist, 4150, NATO chamber, M4 uppers and both shoot extremely well. I have one pre-ban upper mounted on an SGW lower and I have a complete post-ban DPMS. I couldn't be happier with them. I've thought about building a gov't profile 20" next. Let me know how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:41:15 AM EDT
I have a classic 16" DPMS and have not had one problem with it. Guess I have sent about 2000 rds down range with it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:33:42 AM EDT
I have 2 of them and they are great shooters, They also are reasonably priced as well. Good luck and I hope that you are happy with what you decide.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:04:04 AM EDT
I have a 20" bull barrel DPMS, and it also shoots great.............
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:06:39 AM EDT
i went to the dpms website and saw those uppers with the big ass bull barells. so i was wondering can they be put on any lower? like a bushmaster lower?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:13:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Mudzilla: i went to the dpms website and saw those uppers with the big ass bull barells. so i was wondering can they be put on any lower? like a bushmaster lower?
View Quote
As long as it has the standard push pins, or if you have a large hole colt, you will need the adapter. I have shot a few DPMS rifles, just the standard 16", but they functioned and grouped quite well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:16:55 AM EDT
The DPMS/CMMG barrels are really your only choice right now if you want a true gov profile M4 barrel - 4150 steel, chrome lined, 1 in 7 twist. And they rock. You won't have any regrets with DPMS. Good people to speak with as well, if you need to.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:02:09 AM EDT
Just a heads up here. I used a few friends DPMS rifles, liked them. So when it came time to buy a rifles in 7.62x39 I ordered one from DPMS. This began 14 weeks of phone calls. Each with time being told it will be 2 more weeks the (fill in the blank) part is not ready. After week 15 I canceled the order and bought a VEPR. I think DPMS build a good gun, but my experience is that I will not Order anything from them if it isn't on the shelf it doesn't exist
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:41:54 AM EDT
Does any one have any idea, how close the color of a dpms upper matches a Rock River Arms lower. Thanks
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:47:53 AM EDT
Other than the old gray Essential Arms receivers, all the rest, wipe a little oil on them and they all match well enough. Man, I 've seen factory built AR's that the upper and lower had a different finish, not so much color, but sheen. Also, with age, the matte finish get's slightly shiner.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:54:35 AM EDT
K2 Sports here in Richardson sells them at a good price. Call John and talk to him about it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 12:42:08 PM EDT
I have been nothing but pleased with my DPMS Classic Sixteen.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:07:57 PM EDT
Great quality, very reasonable prices, but unless DPMS has it in stock when you order it you may wait months and months and months before you see it. 5 month wait on uppers last time I checked. They seem to have a problem with parts suppliers delivering on schedule. DPMS is a wonderful company staffed with really nice folks but they have shitty vendors. IMHO: (also listed in order of preference) Bushmaster = Best quality, good prices, good availability. DPMS = Great quality, best prices, poor availability. RRA = Great quality, good prices, good availability. Colt = Average quality, ridiculous prices, poor availability. Armalite = (don't know enough to comment) Hesse = Don't ask As I said, these are humble opinions, so nobody is allowed to jump my ass. I therefore invoke the holy order of ass jumpproofedness! Ni! Ni! [NI]
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:43:03 PM EDT
Great rifles! I have a Panther Classic 20" and have zero complaints about it. Just do yourself a favor and find one in a shop, or at a gun show...just like every one else said, ordering one is a nightmare. Oh yeah...as far as uppers and lowers not matching on some...the DPMS "teflon" finish on my rifle matches perfectly!
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 3:56:07 PM EDT
Good thing that Arkansas_Rocket man envoked the holy order of ass jumpproofedness. A good flaming was working up inside me on the Colt comment.LOL
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 3:31:13 AM EDT
Originally Posted By M4arc: Are you looking to purchase this from [url=www.cmmginc.com]CMMG[/url]? I have two of their 14.5", 1/7 twist, 4150, NATO chamber, M4 uppers and both shoot extremely well. I have one pre-ban upper mounted on an SGW lower and I have a complete post-ban DPMS. I couldn't be happier with them. I've thought about building a gov't profile 20" next. Let me know how it goes.
View Quote
I too have one of these from CMMG, Very nice barrel and the guys at CMMG are some of the best on the board.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 4:31:59 AM EDT
As good if not better than most choices, buy and enjoy!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 6:00:24 AM EDT
My most recent purchase was a DPMS upper by CMMG. It has the 4150, 16", 1/7 M4 barrel and I'very happy with it. I was getting 3/4" MOA at 100 yards with M193! As a few other have mentioned I think the only way to go with a DPMS is with the CMMG version. Good luck!
Top Top