Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2003 7:36:57 AM EDT
I am in the process of free floating a Colt Match rifle.  I am thinking about adding a Muzzle Brake.  I will use this for Varmit shooting.  Reading the previous muzzle brake discussion makes me think of abandoning the idea.  I just wonder if you guys had varmit shooting in mind.  Any recommendations on a muzzle brake (no thread ons)
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 7:42:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Putting a muzzle brake on won't really help your shooting, the rise and recoil of the AR-15 is pretty much nil.  Other than that, I see one advantage and one disadvantage.  The "PRO" is that muzzle blast will be directed away from your target, so if you are shooting multiple varmints, they won't know where the blast came from.  The "CON" is that fellow shooters on the firing line will suffer from the ungodly amounts of noise and the "shock wave" that these devices produce.  One more "PRO" is that muzzle brakes look cool.  I'm sure others will chime in also.  Welcome to ARFCOM[beer]
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 8:06:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Your better off without it. If your really worried invest in a match sling and a book on how to use one.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:04:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I've always said, if you like to have open lanes on each side of you at the range, then fire off a few rounds with a muzzle brake on and you are sure to clear out other shooters.  However, the brake does do what it is supposed to do.
Link Posted: 6/5/2003 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're going to use it for varmint shooting, chances are you'll have the rifle rested somehow, right? A muzzle brake will be of no value in this instance, and will most likely actually have a detrimental effect on accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 6:57:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a Colt with a muzzle brake and a Armalite with the same type brake, both are 1/2 inch shooters at 100 yards. No jump and the target is always in sight. As far as the shooters on either side, no complaints as of yet. Then again, my range time is always during the week.
What do I know?
Link Posted: 6/6/2003 11:29:20 PM EDT
[#6]
brakes do their job
I had the pleasure of getting blasted by FMjunkies AR10 when I couldnt get it to load
he smacked it and fired it and i wasnt ready for the blast
and firing another AR with the comp y there isnt much muzzle rise or recoil , not that the AR has alot
my ear is still ringing hahahaha
we need to have another shoot this month
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top