Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2003 7:34:00 PM EDT
I'm thinking about getting an AR15 as my first rifle.  Been shooting handguns for awhile now.  Post ban is in my budget.  Pre bans are not.  I'm thinking about the A2 style, but not sure about the 16" or 20" barrel.  As this will be my first and possibly only AR15, which barrel do you recommend.  Also, the fixed stock vs the fixed that looks like a collapsible.  Is the stock mostly a cosmetic looks thing??

Thanks,
Scott
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:46:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Get the A2 trapdoor buttstock. It will hold a cleaning kit.

CRC
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome! You have come to the right place, hopefully you won't get more confused, but let me try.

What do you want the rifle for? Fooling around at the range? 3-gun competition? Any chance of precision bullseye shooting? The 20" has the advantage of faster velocity, and a longer sight radius. For a range gun (or a hunting gun), it is hard to beat.

The 16" is handier for carry, and can be swung faster for 3-gun type matches. If you plan on mounting a scope, the sight radius thing is irrelevant. The accuracy should be the same, that is not a factor.

I have a 20" A2, and couldn't be happier with it. I don't care about scopes for the moment, so the fixed carry handle is okay. If you plan on using a scope, you might consider an A3 model, since it's handier and more versatile.

The stock is higly subjective, personally I think that the post-ban fake "collapsibles" look wrong, it's purely cosmetic. And most people prefer the feel of the full stock, as you can get a better cheek weld. Another option would be to go for the Ace skeleton stock, it doesn't look nearly as "wrong" as the fixed, extended "collapsible" stock, and still has a certain cool factor.

Just a little more info from you, and we might be able to steer you in the right direction...
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#3]
If your going with a stock gun get a 16" NON HBAR (Thats M4 or lightweight) and flat top and A2 stock.  Been there done that and you will kick yourself if you get something else within a year.  I started off with a HBAR A2 upper.  Never again...

Edited to add if you HAVE to get a carry handle upper get an A1 not an A2.  It lighter, cheaper and more rugged.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It will mostly be used for range fun.  But, eventually might go hunting with it and as backup for home defense.  Handgun is preferable in close quarters in a house, I think.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 8:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I suggest a 20" A2 style rifle from Bushy or RRA, or even FA.

What you gonna hunt with this gun anyways?
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:04:19 PM EDT
[#6]
You might want to think about getting a flat-top, just in case you decide to mount optics.
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:21:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Can't you use an AR15 for deer hunting?  The deer down in TX aren't that big.  :)

Scott
Link Posted: 5/23/2003 9:45:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Every thing is big in TEXAS, and remember the
ar15 round is only .oo3 larger than a .22.
I live in the Abilene area and our deer are almost as big as a Sherman tank, almost need a
anti-tank round to put them down. LOL.
But for real, you may want to buy a small cap mag for hunting to stay legal.
O' by the way I have a Colt 20" and a CMT 16".
I have a red dot on the 20" and a scope on the 16". Both have the hand carry style upper. I had the Colt 20" for 25 years b4 I got bit by the multi-gun bug and had to have "just one more nasty evil black gun" LMFAO......... What ever type you get have a ball (blast). And BUY MUCH AMMO and MAGS. O' yes.. that is the other BUG.
The "JUST GOT TO HAVE ONE MORE MAG BUG".
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:20:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the bushmaster A2 20 inch HB.For me i have always liked the military look.the 20 is a bit muzzel heavy but thats a personal observation.the beauty of the AR is once you get whatever one you want ,you can buy another upper(without permits)some day ill get around to buyin a 16 inch upper or even a an m4 gery upper.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:57:26 AM EDT
[#10]
You could use your AR for hunting in Texas, provided you have the skill necessary. The .223 can get the job done, you just have to be a bit more careful than with something bigger. Too many deer have been taken humanely with it to dismiss it because it is "too small". Use a round designed for the job, keep the ranges reasonable, and you should be fine.

The 64gr Winchester Power Point is an excellent (if not the best) choice for deer hunting. If you are going to use the gun as a range gun, not a primary defensive gun, and possibly a hunting gun, 20" is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:02:41 AM EDT
[#11]
20" A3

Link Posted: 5/24/2003 7:57:27 AM EDT
[#12]
  Thinking ahead, you should probably buy A3 and a removeable carry handle, its a little more money but if you look around in this site you will see that the customizing bug bites about 60% of AR owners and this configuration will save you money down the road. And if you are happy with the A2 sights, well you have them.
  As far as 20" and 16", In my opinion the 16 is the best all situation barrel length although it does not milk all the power from the 5.56 rd and the 20 does. Like some of the guys said it really depends on the way you intend to use it.
  Personally, I prefer bare bones 16" A2 with a skelaton buttstock, very light and monuverable, simple low maintainance, and inexpiencive, as my (1 rifle).

Good luck
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:09:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
  Thinking ahead, you should probably buy A3 and a removeable carry handle, its a little more money but if you look around in this site you will see that the customizing bug bites about 60% of AR owners and this configuration will save you money down the road. And if you are happy with the A2 sights, well you have them.
  As far as 20" and 16", In my opinion the 16 is the best all situation barrel length although it does not milk all the power from the 5.56 rd and the 20 does. Like some of the guys said it really depends on the way you intend to use it.
  Personally, I prefer bare bones 16" A2 with a skelaton buttstock, very light and monuverable, simple low maintainance, and inexpiencive, as my (1 rifle).

Good luck
View Quote

Thanks! I'm leaning towards the A3 model.  Still not sure of 16 or 20 inch barrel.  Probably can't go wrong with either one.

Scott
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't you use an AR15 for deer hunting?  The deer down in TX aren't that big.  :)

Scott
View Quote

He's right, I'm originally from Utah. first deer in TX I saw I thought it was a dog:)
Link Posted: 5/24/2003 6:53:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Just get the 20" A3. You can always get the 16" upper later down the road, if you feel the need for something lighter.
Link Posted: 5/25/2003 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just get the 20" A3. You can always get the 16" upper later down the road, if you feel the need for something lighter.
View Quote

Thanks for the input.  I think I will be going with that option.

Scott
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top