Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2002 6:08:14 PM EDT
I don't currently own an AR nor have I ever shot one, but nevertheless I think I could use one.  

I want to use an AR for called coyotes and maybe some prairie dog eradication.  

After reviewing various manufacturer's websites and reading whatever I can find on AR's, I think I want a Bushmaster Varminter.  It appears to feature what I think I would need on such a rifle.  Good reputation and solid no nonsense (for me) features.  

The local dealer tells me I can pick one up for $1075.  Good price? Probably not a steal, but it's nice to support the local guys whenever possible.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

Tim
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:10:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Greetings & Welcome!

Bushmaster is a great choice.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 6:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
[green][b] Welcome to the madness. You have the right idea with supporting your local dealer. Good luck

MeRrY ChRiStMaS [<|:D>]
Jerry [/green][/b]
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 10:06:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Based on the prices I saw last weekend at the gunshow, that seems to be the going rate.

AR-15s are damn fine guns but make sure you lube the hell out of the bolt. I personally practice a bit of over-lubing but that's just me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2002 11:12:53 PM EDT
[#4]
NETim, Welcome!!!!

Just a FYI, but the Ar-15 should not be your first choice for what you want to do.  
What you should be looking at is a bolt rifle in 22-250 or 220 Swift. The 223 lacks the ass to be pushed out over 300 yards, and the wind will really dance the slow 223.

Your better choice would be a Rem 700 VSSF to get you started, topped off with a 6x18 power scope.  Handloaded, the rifle will shoot under .5 MOA verse the 1 to 2 MOA that the ar-15 is going to shoot.  That means at 300 yards, the AR will be grouping over 3" plus wind drift, which is not going to work for a prairie dogs.

Don't get me wrong, I use ar-15's for coyote hunting, but not for the first shot.  I use the rig for running shots, where I can walk the rounds in as the coyote is high tailing for the next time zone. It isn't pretty this way, but does the trick.

Bottom line: REM 700 VSSF in 22-250, fitted with a 6x18 power scope.  My choice would be a Leopold, but this may be out of your price range.  

If your not set up to reload, then start adding this to your budget as well.  My choice would be a RCBS master reloading kit, with neck sizing die kit, instead of full sizing dies.  

If you play your cards right, you could have the Rem 700 rifle,scope and reloading kit for the price your going to spend on just the AR rifle. Which, would make you a serious threat to the varmint population, instead of just spraying the plains with a semi auto rifle.

Food for thought.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top