Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2002 6:43:56 AM EDT
I know this has been hashed out before, but the search is still down.

I got the Santos method off the Maryland AR15 site.  I'm going to be zeroing a 16" with A2 upper (fixed, not removeable, carry handle).  There are two clicks down from the 8/3 mark on the elevation wheel.  The rear sight has the long distance aperture and the 0-2 aperture, which is huge.  

I know that I need to bring the rear sight all the way down to -2 below 8/3 and zero at 50 yards using the front sight.  This should produce a "battle zero" from 0-200 yards.  So does this mean that the rear sight should be left in the bottomed-out position for shooting up to 200 yards?  Or does one move it back up to the 8/3 mark for everything up to 300 yards, and use the wheel for elevations past 300?

Basically, where do you leave the elevation wheel for your general plinking out to 300?  At -2 or at 8/3?

I hope I'm making this clear.  You guys know what I mean.  
Link Posted: 10/23/2002 7:48:28 AM EDT
[#1]
This is covered in the instructions, but I'll see if I can make it more clear.

You leave it bottomed out if you are using the small aperture.  This gives the nice flat trajectory.  You can use it for shooting to 300M (about 325 yards), it will be almost 9" low at that range.

If you want to use the large aperture you must set the wheel to '3'.  The large aperture was designed for use to 200M when the wheel is set for 3 (in other words the large aperture is offset in height from the small aperture).

Personally I just leave my rifle set to 8/3-2 and use the small aperture for most of my shooting.
Link Posted: 10/24/2002 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for your reply, Forest.

I thought the large and small apertures were the same in elevation (no offset) with the only difference being the size of the aperture.  I did re-read the instructions after my post, and I see where the sight should be left at -2.  Seems that if you're shooting at 300m, you could bring it up to the 8/3 and be pretty close to right-on - 2 clicks up at 300m would be 6 minutes of elevation, and you'd be pretty close.  

At any rate, the large aperture is pretty useless for plinking since it's so big, much bigger than what I'm used to.  So I'll follow the Santos program and leave it bottomed out.  

Thanks!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top