Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Waiting for us outside:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:18:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 11:15:12 AM EDT
[#4]
42º with a near freezing Wind-chill, But The Sun Was Shining!

About those Gents, Just In Case:

Out Of The Trenches
Christian Life Assembly Veterans Ministry
2645 Lisburn Road
Camp Hill, PA 17011
CLACampHill.com
Link Posted: 2/25/2023 5:59:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ButchA61] [#5]
I think it's great you can safely use the VA for whatever you need.  *Salute*

I was always categorized as "Priority 8" or something like that.
No combat.
No disability.
Nothing.
But served a full career in the US Coast Guard and retired.
Earned waaaaay too much annual income working in the I.T. industry after retirement to qualify for VA health care.

Today?

After a disastrous employment experience (I.T. industry fizzled out, I was too old, nobody wants Unix admins and DB programmers anymore), I had to "reinvent myself" as the saying goes.  I took a complete 180° turn, approached the public school systems, got my CDL and currently drive a school bus for something to do.  The salary obviously is no where's near that of an I.T. professional, so I got downgraded to Priority 7 in the VA, which meant I qualfied for VA healthcare, should I need it.

Long story short - I visited McGuire VA here in Richmond, VA and was seen in the Red Clinic (color coded).  The main physician was ilke, "why are you here?".  I explained that i just signed up, and a perfectly heathly retired veteran with no health concerns.  You could just see it.... He wanted to say, "Get the F outta here", but couldn't.  So, we exchanged pleasant goodbyes, and I'll call you if I need you, etc... yada yada yada.  Well... I ended up (a few years ago) getting bit by a tick and ended up with Ehrlichiosis(?) and was sick as a dog.  I called McGuire VA and they could schedule me for an appointment FIVE F----ING MONTHS LATER!  I couldn't believe it.... I said under my breath, "F you all..." and never went back, never contacted them ever again.  I went to Patient's First and then to my wife's own PCP (really cool guy, retired Navy medical officer -- busts my a$$ over the USCG).  I was immediately treated with Doxycycline, examined and re-examined with blood workups for weeks, and never had an issue.  If I went to the VA to get all that done, I'd probably be way more ill or probably dead!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 10:41:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ButchA61:
I think it's great you can safely use the VA for whatever you need.  *Salute*

I was always categorized as "Priority 8" or something like that.
No combat.
No disability.
Nothing.
But served a full career in the US Coast Guard and retired.
Earned waaaaay too much annual income working in the I.T. industry after retirement to qualify for VA health care.

Today?

After a disastrous employment experience (I.T. industry fizzled out, I was too old, nobody wants Unix admins and DB programmers anymore), I had to "reinvent myself" as the saying goes.  I took a complete 180° turn, approached the public school systems, got my CDL and currently drive a school bus for something to do.  The salary obviously is no where's near that of an I.T. professional, so I got downgraded to Priority 7 in the VA, which meant I qualfied for VA healthcare, should I need it.

Long story short - I visited McGuire VA here in Richmond, VA and was seen in the Red Clinic (color coded).  The main physician was ilke, "why are you here?".  I explained that i just signed up, and a perfectly heathly retired veteran with no health concerns.  You could just see it.... He wanted to say, "Get the F outta here", but couldn't.  So, we exchanged pleasant goodbyes, and I'll call you if I need you, etc... yada yada yada.  Well... I ended up (a few years ago) getting bit by a tick and ended up with Ehrlichiosis(?) and was sick as a dog.  I called McGuire VA and they could schedule me for an appointment FIVE F----ING MONTHS LATER!  I couldn't believe it.... I said under my breath, "F you all..." and never went back, never contacted them ever again.  I went to Patient's First and then to my wife's own PCP (really cool guy, retired Navy medical officer -- busts my a$$ over the USCG).  I was immediately treated with Doxycycline, examined and re-examined with blood workups for weeks, and never had an issue.  If I went to the VA to get all that done, I'd probably be way more ill or probably dead!
View Quote

It's sad that not all VA medical centers provide good, timely care. I've got no complaints about my VA care but I know some places are absolutely shit. It's really unfortunate. Some things are bad here... we can't seem to keep a neurologist for anything so that's always an issue. Primary care appointments and routine treatments are pretty timely though.
Link Posted: 3/18/2023 6:10:57 PM EDT
[#7]

I'm really one lucky skunk.
I was pure peacetime.  Just the Cold War being chilly.  I'm being treated better than most ObummerCareless Ordered Docs.
Rather depressing considering how my Brothers & Sisters in arms have have been treated.

Just got The Bill in today: $15.00
About to print the check for it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 12:39:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/23/2023 9:41:08 PM EDT
[#9]
A few weeks before my Next Appointment with the Eye Doc.
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I need to make another appointment with prosthetics.  My right leg below he knee is paralyzed (thanks, VA Nashville) and my foot lift has broken.  It's currently being held together by Loctite and electrical tape.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2023 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I get an eye exam and new glasses every two years. My next appointment wasn't until Oct of this year. My glasses broke Monday morning so I called the Truman VA in Columbia, MO to ask about that. They found a cancellation and will be seeing me this coming Monday Aug 7th. Truman is right across the street from the University of Missouri Hospital which is one of the top hospitals in the state. Specialty doctors usually work at both hospitals. The CBOC in Mexico, MO has always been good to me too.

I agree that it really is a shame that all VA hospitals and clinics are not the same. I wouldn't send my worse enemy to the John Cochran VA Hospital in St Louis, Mo. A doctor at Cochran tried killing me by insisting that I take narcotic pain meds even after I told her that I am highly allergic to most.
Link Posted: 8/9/2023 2:40:59 PM EDT
[#12]
VA Word List

VA
Don’t use “the” before VA when it’s used as a noun. However, when VA serves as an adjective, use the article where appropriate. Go to entry for “Department of Veterans Affairs” for full guidance.
  As a noun: VA announced today that…
  As a noun phrase (“VA facilities”): Some VA facilities in Texas are affected by Hurricane Florida.
  As an adjective (modifying “task force”): The VA task force announced today…
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:38:48 AM EDT
[#13]
I finally got some decent weather: Wearing a short-sleeved shirt, enjoying the sun shine.....

Blue sky

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:45:27 AM EDT
[#14]
My luck seems to be changing.
Sunshine and Good weather.

They finally junked the covid nonsense...No more masks and junk like that.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/22/2023 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Eyes about the same.  No new glasses, but cataract surgery is in my future.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 8:41:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Just got the bill for the Appointment
$50.00

You're going to have to wait until payday.
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Flu shot today.

As advertised: If I'm headed for The Clinic, it will rain.
Drive-In became a Walk-In

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:44:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Blood tests today.

It rained Yesterday.
Nicely sunny this morning. Right into my eyes sunny.
Negligible cloud cover.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:47:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Oh, yeah: 36 degrees outside.
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/27/2023 8:55:58 AM EDT
[#22]
That was nice: My appointment wasn't until 0800 and I'm finished until Friday
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:20:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GiggleSmith] [#23]
Friday follow-up: it's cold outside.
BP= over 84
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#24]
Slight prescription update.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 10:48:29 AM EDT
[#25]
They're back.....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 11:56:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Fridays only....I'll remember that.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Monday was nice, Friday was cold and overcast.

You again next year.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 7:28:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 10:16:46 PM EDT
[#29]

Staying alive
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top