Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/17/2003 6:10:56 PM EDT
OK, Ich habe eine frage..uh..I have a question for all you Red Legs. I know what [b]we[/b] did when we called for fire, danger close. The question is what did [b]you[/b] do on a danger close call for fire?

Big(StillBuggingMeAfterAllTheseYears...WithContinuedApologiesToETH)Sapper
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 9:45:02 PM EDT
[#1]
What did ya'll do to the HUN?!!?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 7:08:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Sorry, former Arty surveyor here.

NOT a former cannon cocker.

IIRC, the gun bunnies used to check the bubble on the level a bit more carefully, and were a bit more careful setting the fuses.

I also THINK that FDC ran the numbers to an extra decimal place or two.

BTW, you sound like a guy that is still picking so -called 'friendly' steel out of his ass.

I hope that's not the case..............
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#3]
So what the heck happend?
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The King's a Fink.
The Queen's a Bitch.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 9:40:52 PM EDT
[#5]
(shrug) double-check the coordinates, triple check the calculations, and yell "FIRE!"

(Former 0844 - FDC. KMA Ft Sill!!)
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:44:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Make sure your firing data's PERFECT, and let 'em fly, but do it in a GD hurry, because "danger close" means they're in trouble out there, and if we fuck up, somebody's parents get a telegram...

Former Gun Bunny (M109A2, and M110A2)
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:23:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So what the heck happend?
View Quote

Nothing. I just appropriated ETH's sig style for a few posts (bad form)
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:25:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
BTW, you sound like a guy that is still picking so -called 'friendly' steel out of his ass.

I hope that's not the case..............
View Quote

Nah, I just dug up some old call for fire training material and it reminded me that I never new what youse guys do on a danger close call.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
The first thing is the guys who called these types of missions dont like to be called "redlegs" for we are FISTERS.  Secondly you announce danger close before any other command.  

Danger close is announced because you have your fire support assests impacting within a extremely close distance.  It also tells the gun bunnies to fine tune their sights a little better than on a typical mission

Why do we call a danger close, FFE mission?  To kill the enemy that is standing on top of us.  Long live the KING!

NO ONE KNOW HARDSHIP AND MISERY LIKE A CURRAHEE
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:34:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The first thing is the guys who called these types of missions dont like to be called "redlegs" for we are FISTERS.  Secondly you announce danger close before any other command.  

Danger close is announced because you have your fire support assests impacting within a extremely close distance.  It also tells the gun bunnies to fine tune their sights a little better than on a typical mission

Why do we call a danger close, FFE mission?  To kill the enemy that is standing on top of us.  Long live the KING!

NO ONE KNOW HARDSHIP AND MISERY LIKE A CURRAHEE
View Quote

I stand corrected in every possible way, shape and form.

[moon]
Link Posted: 6/27/2003 12:09:49 AM EDT
[#11]
When initiating the call for fire, "danger close" is given in the warning order transmission. If it's the establishment of an FPF, the FDC is notified in the target description transmission.

A danger close mission, as in an FPF, is first adjusted onto target using the gun that's closest to the target (as in which gun in the section and how it relates to the gun line attitude in corelation to the target). In addition, all rounds fired during the adjustment phase are either WP or ground burst illumination. Once the F.O.s declare the round is adjusted, an HE round with the fuse set to "delayed" is fired just to confirm.

Now that the closest gun has been adjusted and deemed safe, all other guns of that particular section are given their respective data based off of the adjusting piece's deflection and elevation. The exception to this would be if the mission called for a converged sheaf, which only differs in that each gun fires a confirming round.

It sounds pretty "mickey mouse," but you have to consider that you are dropping exploding HE rounds within yards of friendlies, besides the whole process, when conducted by a competent FDC, can be accomplished inside of 5-minutes.

As I'm typing this I believe I'm on my 6th or 7th beer, so if I f'ed up, somebody please correct me. Really though, it's all pretty simple.  
Link Posted: 6/28/2003 2:38:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Danger close is not anounced in the warning order or the 1st transmission of a typical ADJ fire or FFE mission.  It is anounced in the 3rd transmission.

EX.

__de__FFE, k
grid 123456, k
troop in open DC, AMC, k

*a FFE, danger close, at my command mission.
the most effective in speading mass casualty

The same goes with the intial adjustment of a FPF.  DC is anounced in the 3rd transmission.

*note DC is anounced when artillery fire is within 600m and it increases when the type of weapon system being fired has a greater error in range. (POR)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top