Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:17 AM EDT
Any of you guys ever have to do riot enforcement? What is that like?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:30:33 AM EDT
I did some line work at a university that I worked at as a public safety officer back in the 80's when V.P. George H. W. Bush visited the campus after a debate. It was really cool working with the Secret Service.

A large group of students were protesting during his visit and they started trying to incite a riot. We all got in line with our batons and started shuffle-stepping towards them while booming out "get back, get back" A few students got a baton in the ribs but within a few seconds they all broke and ran like the liberal wussies that they were.

The secret service helecopter with a bunch of black clad SWAT types standing on the skids that circled very, very low overhead had alot to do with our success, I'm sure.

It was awesome.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:38:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/28/2006 9:39:38 AM EDT by Bucky145]

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
Any of you guys ever have to do riot enforcement? What is that like?

Yes, twice this past year for Minutemen meetings. My first one a few people were arrested, and the second one no arrests were made. I man a SL-6 with KO1 rounds behind our main lines. Most action I got was to wave and give "the look" at a guy who was taunting some of our guys on the line. He got the messsage and moved well to the back of the crowd. Our team is about 100 officers and the crowd was only a few hundred, so the fear factor was not very high and we were not directly challenged.

I think more riots are on the way with all imagration laws being looked at.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:42:06 PM EDT
So is riot enforcement something you practice often?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 5:14:19 PM EDT
We train for it once a year.......

And we use some of it once a year....

It is used other times for small problems, but the full on riot training gets several people injured. We only do the full on (getting stuff thrown at us, etc) every 3 or so years.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 6:38:30 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:31:36 AM EDT
I have riot gear in my trunk, but haven't had to yet. Never had any training.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:43:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bama-Shooter:
So is riot enforcement something you practice often?

We practice six times a year. Single line and double line formations. With gas mask and without. With dogs and without. We practice officer down rescue, and what we call a street corner arrest. Basically picking a few guys out of the crowd and going to get them quick and fast. We do use of force training and defensive tactics that include ground fighting. The team is big for around my area and is made up of officers from all around here. Approximately 100 officers, 10-15 dogs, two arrest teams, a less lethal team, and a lethal team. We will aid any town or area that is a member of the network.

Oh and backed up by a separate SWAT team that if fully called out is big .

We use the Hatch (we call it "turtle gear") gear that is sold all in a bag. PASGT or RBR Mark II helmet with face mask, shields and PR-24 for our basic set up.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:02:04 PM EDT
I spent 7 years on my department's response team. One of the things we trained a lot on was riot control.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:12:01 AM EDT
Indianapolis PD does a couple times a year. We have "circle city classic" & "black expo" every year. It's pretty much an excuse to pack the street w/ ghetto cruisers & for everyone to hang out on the streets smoking weed & fighting. Patrol officers are told to only arrest for serious violations & let everything else go. We used to hammer them for breaking the law but then they always play the race card so the city/department became a bunch of pussies & lets the city go to hell for the weekend. We have a couple shootings every year at these events & tons of fights.

All patrol officers on my department are trained in mobile field force (riot control) which have helmets, masks, batons & shields. We also have a 50 man Event Response Group (ERG), which I'm a member of. We have the full riot pads & shinguards w/ long sticks & masks, but no shields. We have guys w/ pepper ball guns & gas guns that the regular MMF guys don't have. We work all the races in Indy, the final four, presidential visits, & tons of other details throughout the year.

We have department wide trainin once a year for MMF & once a year for ERG. We also train & use the Mounted unit & Bicycle units for crowd control. Nothing gets a crowd moving like the horses. Of course there is always one idiot who bunches the horse & then seriously regrets it.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 10:44:13 AM EDT
Trained for riot situations alot in 9 1/2 years on our Tactical Unit. Prisons different than the streets though. Higher probability of having to use those skills.

HeavyD
Top Top