Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/17/2006 4:58:20 PM EDT
So our cheif sent us an email and told us he is getting us mounted lights for our guns.  He gave us the option if we wanted to carry them on our weapons and get new holsters or just carry them on our duty belts.  I think i wanna get a new holster and carry mine all the time on my weapon.

What do you guys do.

Can anyone give me a link to the holsters they use, and maybe the mounted lights.  We use leather gear also.

Thanks
Be safe
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:04:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the same mode - I'm about to transition to a dedicated weapon mounted light that stays on the pistol.  The problem with adding and removing the light is the need to rapidly reholster - imagine your buddy fighting with someone.  If your holster is designed to accept the light then its very easy.  I don't expect anyone to quickly remove their light then reholster - its not going to happen in our time frames.

As far as leather  holsters, I've only found one that makes a leather holster for a weapon mounted light - Tex Shoemaker.  Their web site is www.texshoemaker.com

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:20:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I carry a M3 light on my Glock 22.  Holster is a Safariland 6280.  Nothing beats a dedicated weapon light for building/house clearing.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 5:06:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember that the light is going to be the first thing that a bad guy sees and shoots at.  Nothing beats proper light disipline.  Use another light and use the weapon light.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:09:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I carry a Glock 31 with weapon mounted M3 light in a Safariland 6280 fine tac finish holster.  Two items 1 application, i recommend the mounted light and holster, easier to holster for hands on time.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:47:24 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I carry a M3 light on my Glock 22.  Holster is a Safariland 6280.  Nothing beats a dedicated weapon light for building/house clearing.

Agreed about the light.  Used mine for the first time on a search warrant(I've practiced with it before though!) last night.  It beats doing it with a hand held light hands down.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:03:18 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Same here, great set up.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:56:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the help guys, still looking for a holster.  The safarialand one that was pointed out early I cant find online that is used for the mounted light, they have the regular one, but not a pic or info with the one with the light on it.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:16:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same setup I use.  I'm very happy with it.  

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 12:19:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Just a word of warning on the Safariland 6280.  I had one for my Glock 22 with a M3 light.  I was working traffic control about 2 weeks ago at a MVA in a down pour (gotta love the weather in western washington).  Along with almost being hit by numerous drivers who don't know flashing red and blue lights should be slowed down for (sorry just a little rant), I was soaked.  I went back to the station after clearing the scene to dry out.  I was so wet I was able to wring out my Gore-Tex jacket.  When I went to pull out my gun to wipe it off it would not come out of the holster.  When I finally got it out, the gun was so wet water was running off.  I looked in the holster and the lining was swollen.  Another officer at the department reported a similar problem with the Raptor holster we are issued, different accident but still lots of rain.  If you are in a dry climate this should not be a problem.  I switched to the Safariland 295 break front.  I loved the 6280 but don't trust it now should I need to pull my gun in the rain.  The M3 is now in a pouch on my belt.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:24:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Don Hume makes at least two designed for pistols with lights mounted on them.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:50:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't like pistols with a light attached. I've used a G20 w/M3 and G22 w/M3 set up using 6280s both times and the light hangs up alot during the draw. Even after a lot of practice with the combo it would still happen. I like a light on a gun for clearing buildings and such so I carry my light on the belt and my gun in a UM Pro3.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 4:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
My preference is leaving the light on the weapon. This way, if you draw down on a suspect and then have to go "hands on", you don't have to mess with dismounting the light and reholstering your weapon.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I just went to the Glock 22 with Streamlight M3X attached with a safariland 6280 holster. I love it and will never go back if it were up to me. It did hang up initially but I slightly loosened the retention screw and practiced with it and now I draw faster with it than any other holster.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I just went to the Glock 22 with Streamlight M3X attached with a safariland 6280 holster. I love it and will never go back if it were up to me. It did hang up initially but I slightly loosened the retention screw and practiced with it and now I draw faster with it than any other holster.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top