Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2005 8:55:31 AM EDT
After 20+ years of being away from LE, I've found myself back in.  Wooohooo.

What do you guys recommend for a comfortable, breathable, maybe waterproof, 6" to 8" boot?

Brands to avoid? Good, Better, Best...that kind of thing.

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 8:59:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Bates M9 waterproof side zipper works well for me.

Steve
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 10:04:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Danner Patrols.

Bombproof in my book. Vibram soled, they are waterproof, oil resistant, reinforced and very comfortable.  I have had more body fluids on these boots than I care to mention, and they clean up easily and completely (and still hold a shine).  Gore-tex lined.  Cool in the summer with the included vent inserts and warm in the winter (no snow yet).

They are also resoleable, which is an asset in a comfortable broken-in boot.  You'll pay up front, make no mistake, but they will last forever.  Mine are going on 6 years with no re-sole yet.

www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=1662

NorCal
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 11:12:57 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Danner Patrols.

Bombproof in my book. Vibram soled, they are waterproof, oil resistant, reinforced and very comfortable.  I have had more body fluids on these boots than I care to mention, and they clean up easily and completely (and still hold a shine).  Gore-tex lined.  Cool in the summer with the included vent inserts and warm in the winter (no snow yet).

They are also resoleable, which is an asset in a comfortable broken-in boot.  You'll pay up front, make no mistake, but they will last forever.  Mine are going on 6 years with no re-sole yet.

www.danner.com/images/productimg/25200.jpg

www.danner.com/products.asp?catid=12&prodid=1662

NorCal

Those are great boots.  I need to pick another pair up.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:39:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I just got the Air Tac boots. Breaking in fine, but wish I had the side zip ones instead.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay away from the Magnum HiTecs, inexpensive and they don't last.

My recommendation is the Danner Acadia boot.  Tough, comfortable and eventually takes a shine on the toe cap.  I don't wear them everyday because our uniform dress code won't allow it.  But when we wear our tactical uniform, the Danners go on and nothing else.

I don't think you'll go wrong with Danner.

eta: grammar
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 7:33:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Danner is the only way to go.  Had my first pair for 12 years, had them resoled twice.  Second pair I've had for three years now.  They are expensive at first but the way I look at it 270 bucks spread over 12 years is pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 10/21/2005 10:44:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Danner is the only way to go....

Big +1  You can't go wrong with Danner's.  Your feet will thank you in the long run (no pun intended).  I prefer the Recons or the acadias just because I like a taller boot.  If your dept. has a limit on how much you can spend, it's worth it to pony up the difference out of your pocket  pocket.  
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:29:54 AM EDT
[#8]
Danner Acadia's are all that I wear in the winter and in the rain.  In the summer I wear black jungle boots.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 5:33:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Another vote for Danner....

Bought a set of Converse new black copy of the GSG9 Addidas...they're very comfortable and lightweight, but not as substatial as the Danners (of course!).  For summer wear the Converse were good.

Its a trade off of lightweight mobility vs heft and durability....kinda like Chvey vs Ford....(when we all know Mopars are better!).
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Danners are good boots.  Personally they are a bit heavy and "clunky" for me.  I have not tried the shorter topped versions yet.  Spending a lot of time in the car is a consideration for me.  Nothing like a pair of boots that hits both the brake and accelerator at the same time.  Yes, I could adjust if I needed to...I just have not yet needed to.

I'll second the HT Magnum comments so far.  They just don't last.  Before I was wiser I could go through a pair of HTs in about a year.

For something in between HT and Danner, look at Rocky's line of boots.  They are not extraordinary, but I am going on 3 years with my current pair of 911s and they are in good shape.  I have had good experience with Rocky's Eliminator line of boots.  My last pair went 4 years full time.  I still wear them from time to time.  The soles wear faster on the 911 than they do on the Eliminators.  Neither is resoleable.

One thing to keep in mind is what type of duty you will be doing.  I typically put in 125-150 miles per shift in the car.  If I spent more time on my feet, or walking, or on rougher terrain then I would  have to reconsider my footwear choice.  It's a balance for me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 2:44:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm gonna jump in because i'm in the market for boots as well.  I require size zip because I do EMS and by definition sleep on the job.  My first pair side zips were bates.  Won't buy another pair of bates.  1 flood and they were destroyed and the zipper would never stay up.  litterally fell apart.  I now have a pair of thorogood side zips.  They were much better than the bates but they are starting to come apart and the shock mitigation is gone.  Tread on the soles is quickly disappearing.  Also not waterproof.

For my next pair i want waterproof side zips that won't fall apart on me.
Link Posted: 10/22/2005 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I have the Striker Side Zip GTX.  They are very comfortable and lighter then most 8" boots.  They are also very warm.  

I bought them locally for around 150.  They retail for 200.

I enjoyed the boots so much in the past year, that I decided to switch my hunting boots from Rocky to Danner as well.  I bought the Pronghorn GTX 1000gr.  

Link Posted: 10/23/2005 7:55:26 AM EDT
[#13]
I just bought a pair of Thorogood TASAR boots in 8".

I like em.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Danner 8" Leather Striker.  Just bought a pair and I love them! Light weight (compared to Rocky) but very comfortable.h,Duck
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#15]
looking for an opinion from the guys here.  Should i go with a size zip, or just get regular boots with a lace in zipper?  Advantages and disadvantages?

You've all pretty much got me sold on Danner, i'm just not sure what model i'm going with.

i'm thinking the striker size zip GTX NMT because it's available with a non-metallic safety toe which i couldn't find on any other 8" boot
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 1:04:12 PM EDT
[#16]
After having a side zip zipper for the first time ever, this past year, I will not go back.  They are very comfortable, and I truly enjoy being able to just jump into my boots and go.  I mean you still lace up the boots, but once they are laced up, there's no need to relace for a long time, or after every time you polish your boots depending on how thorough you are on polishing your boots.
Link Posted: 10/23/2005 10:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Danner Striker boots. Very light, water proof, good support and a great sole. An excellent, light weight duty boot that does not weigh a ton. If you happen to wear a 13ee like I do, Sportsmansguide has them for $69.95 which is about 1/2 price.
www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?p=WX2&i=93000  
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#18]
DANNERS!!!!
I visited the Danner booth at TREXPO East, and I was in uniform, and the rep. saw my Acadias.  He asked how I liked them, and I was brutally honest.  I told him that I own 2 pairs of Acadias, and that I thought they were the best boots I ever owned.  I only wish they had been authorized when I was a grunt all those years.
He thanked me and gave me a Danner t-shirt.  Class act company.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:25:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Danner's rock. Look at the 5.11's if you want a lightweight boot. Waterproof, oil & slip resistant, and very comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/24/2005 1:33:08 PM EDT
[#20]
alright, i'm going with the striker size zip GTX NMT.  Just gotta find a place around me in SEPA that carries danner.  Doesn't even need to be the same model, just need to get the size right before i order since it varies a bit from manufacturer to manufacturer.  Figure i can pay 80 for boots every couple years or 180 for boots that will last much longer.  easy decision.
Link Posted: 10/25/2005 2:42:58 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Danner Acadia's are all that I wear in the winter and in the rain.  In the summer I wear black jungle boots.

+1

The Acadia's sole is just too thick for a lot of movement, and the boot does not flex like a Altama USGI Jungle boot. I do wear the Acadias on the cold days....much, much warmer than the Jungles.

I have had many types of boots.......and I keep coming back to Altama's Jungle boots for work and their desert boots for casual wear.

www.altama.com
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Matterhorn's are a cheaper alternative to Danners. I like both though. I have a pairt of Matterhorn's on right now!
Link Posted: 10/26/2005 5:47:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
After 20+ years of being away from LE, I've found myself back in.  Wooohooo.

What do you guys recommend for a comfortable, breathable, maybe waterproof, 6" to 8" boot?

Brands to avoid? Good, Better, Best...that kind of thing.

Any help is appreciated.

Nice insulated and waterproof = Danners
Light weight and durable = Old Jungles or Addidas/Oakley assault boots

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 12:36:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Am I the only one that finds the Danner Acadias extremely uncomfortable?  I can respect the great quality but I've been wearing them for about 500 hours now and my feet hurt like a bitch after an 8 hour shift.

I'm looking into the new Converse boots, anybody have any experience with 'em?
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:04:57 AM EDT
[#25]
I need brown boots so I have a pair of Danner Foothills (Acadia w/ speed laces, no thinsulate, but wth goretex) and Pronghorn Leathers (no thinsulate, goretex).  Both are good boots but I find myself wearing the Pronghorns most.  They are lighter and less clunky.  Very, very comfortable and less expensive than the Foothills.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:05:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I have the Converse, they are by far the most comfortable boots I have ever owned.  I don't have the water proof ones.  They are light and the top collar of the boot isn't too thick, like the Oakley's.  Keep in mind all I ever wore before were Jungle boots with shark tooth soles and Danners.  They don't polish up like Jungles, but who cares.  I would try them out.
I got mine from LA Tactical during a reduction sale for 38.00.
Link Posted: 11/15/2005 3:04:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I too am in the process of switching to law enforcement as my career. I have been looking at the Danner's for a service boot. For those of you that use Danner's Arcadia boot, do you recommend the steel toe version or the non-steel toe version?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 2:53:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Two words:

Oak Ley

Best pair of footware I've ever had. They won't hold up to field work like I did in the army, as the leather is kinda soft, but their at least as confortable as the best hightops I ever had. Waterproof unless the water goes over the tongue.

Part of the value for me is our department getting a good bulk rate discount, otherwise I'd likely go cheaper.

Plus the rubber "skirt" reduces the area to polish, if you like that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 11/25/2005 3:56:35 AM EDT
[#29]
+1 On the Danner Strikers. I just got mine and they are the best boot I've ever worn.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Converse side zips.
Lightweight, built in gel insoles, good traction, don't squeak.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 8:26:38 PM EDT
[#31]
i have the bates ultra light side zip. i love them.
Link Posted: 11/26/2005 10:18:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Danner Acadia, Oakley or Bates, in that order.
Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:06:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Or these:

Boots

(c'mon guys, this is too good to pass up...screen name 'Jack19' in the badge forum asking for 'boot' advice...)

Link Posted: 11/29/2005 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#34]
WARNING!!!

I bought a pair of Oakley SSI boots about 2 weeks ago. I bought them specifically for SWAT competition. I wanted a pair of lightweight hi-speed boots. After 1 week of training, and 3 days of competition, they were literaly falling apart. The sole was melted,  from sliding down a rope, and the little O fell right off the side. While they are extremely comfortable, and great for running, the durability is a little dissapointing. Especially considering the price. In all fairness I have not contacted Oakley to see if my boots may have been made on a friday. On the other hand my Danner Acaidias have seen some rough use and will probably outlast me. The only complaint is that they are HEAVY. (good for door kicking, not good for moving fast).
Link Posted: 12/1/2005 5:20:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
WARNING!!!

I bought a pair of Oakley SSI boots about 2 weeks ago. I bought them specifically for SWAT competition. I wanted a pair of lightweight hi-speed boots. After 1 week of training, and 3 days of competition, they were literaly falling apart. The sole was melted,  from sliding down a rope, and the little O fell right off the side. While they are extremely comfortable, and great for running, the durability is a little dissapointing. Especially considering the price. In all fairness I have not contacted Oakley to see if my boots may have been made on a friday. On the other hand my Danner Acaidias have seen some rough use and will probably outlast me. The only complaint is that they are HEAVY. (good for door kicking, not good for moving fast).

If the O came off the side, the Oakleys you have are the foreign manufactured version. The U.S. version has the O embossed in the leather and has a thinner leather tongue wihtout the extra collor padding. The U.S. version is the only true "issue" version. Photos below.

US VERSION:

FOREIGN VERSION:
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 10:17:37 AM EDT
[#36]
the us made oakley's won't be shipping until late  jan. /early feb. 2006  according to our oakley rep.  i think that they are really overpriced high top sneakers. it seems that our desk top commandos love them, but they aren't out there over various types of terrain and through out ever changing enviroment of the upper mid west.  the danners are great boots but way too heavy for high speed tactical response. have been looking at the converse boot but trying to find more feed back on it. had the pleasure of training with a "borrowed" seal team over the summer and they all were sporting the converse boot, under armour heat gear and oakley sun glasses. it was a living billboard if you ask me.  some did have the oakley boot but when i asked why they weren't wearing them during the FOF drills all i got was they look good and are fine for walk throughs and "classroom drills" so i guess that should tell me something
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:01:15 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm guessing you mean the U.S. boots are just out of stock, because I've had mine since July. The U.S. version is much better than the foreign version.
Link Posted: 12/9/2005 4:34:18 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
the us made oakley's won't be shipping until late  jan. /early feb. 2006  according to our oakley rep.  i think that they are really overpriced high top sneakers.

The Oakleys are great. Mine lasted two years before wearing out; if you order directly from Oakley as an LEO rather than one of the retail outlets, you get a pretty good price break.
For winter wear I recommend Matterhorns.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:09:07 AM EDT
[#39]
Danner Acadia.  Had them for about a year and a half.  Still holding up well.  Thing you have to becareful with is the width.  In my opinion they run a bit narrow.  I had to go with a EE width instead of a normal width.  

I also have some Altima boots.  I don't remember the model name, but they're basically jungle type boots with a less aggressive sole.  They're holding up fairly well, though the outsole is starting to crack.  

After working for awhile in an outdoor retail store, I can tell you that the boot fit is by far the most important factor in choosing boots.  Try them on before you buy them!

Andrew
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top