Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 12:27:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/21/2009 12:31:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Good job NorCal
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#3]
great stuff guys...thanks to all who contributed already.
Link Posted: 8/31/2009 1:58:57 AM EDT
[#4]
FBI, CIA, ??
Link Posted: 2/10/2010 5:04:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Good info, Thank you!

-benjamin
Link Posted: 2/11/2010 12:21:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Sweet!!!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Unless I missed it, I didn't see anything for Probation Officer or Parole Officers/Agents. Probation Officers are not POST-certified Peace Officers in all 50 states, but Parole Officers/Agents are. At least as far as I know. I have done Probation (non Peace Officer) and Parole (Peace Officer). Let me know if you would like any info on Job Requirements and Duties. Most of my knowledge is Parole, but I have a fairly good understanding of Probation as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2010 11:57:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks so much, NorCal!

I've got my Chief's Panel Interview in a couple hours and your tips for the interview have helped me calm down and feel more prepared!
Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What are the physical requirements like? Is this something I could take classes with an academy on at night and still be able to go to college?
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 1:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Sticky?
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 8/9/2013 12:44:01 AM EDT
[#11]
What is the job market like for LEO's compared to say... firefighters?
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 3:11:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Are antianxieties a no go?
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rustyg:
Are antianxieties a no go?
View Quote

Maybe in some departments that aren't hurting for bodies, but I don't see why they would be as long as you are under control.  Hell, my department sent me to a shrink and I was on anti-depressants for a while, so I don't see how that could be much different.  

(FWIW, I'm not making light of anti-anxieties in the least, and your question is very valid, I'm just a bit on the lower side of exhausted and found it oddly amusing)

However, if you're on medications that affect your ability to make rational decisions or safely operate a vehicle/use a weapon, then they probably will pass.  Just throwing that out there.  Liability seems to be #1 or #2 on the City's priority list, and that's a huge one.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:36:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Towely:
What is the job market like for LEO's compared to say... firefighters?
View Quote

I would say in most decent sized cities, hiring for both is pretty much an open market.  In smaller or rural areas, LE jobs will be much easier to find, as FF jobs will most likely be Volley.  I want to say last actual stats I saw showed that 85%+ of Fire Departments are volunteer, whereas the only volunteer LE jobs I know of are Reserves or Constabulary type jobs, but a lot of them are still paid in some areas.
Link Posted: 2/12/2014 7:47:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: tc556guy] [#15]
A thread from 2005 that's only 3 pages long and no tl; dr comments
That must be a record
I see OPs avatar has improved over the years, though.

I think some of the issues I've seen with those interested in becoming LEOs would include

criminal justice majors who think that their CJ degree will have any weight at all in the application process
At least here in my area, it wont

Guys who haven't put themselves through the basic school ...at least around here anymore, if you don't have at least phase 1 under your belt, and agency wont look at you.
The days of being hired and put through the school by your agency are gone, at least if you're a white male.

People with criminal records. This should be a no-brainer, but I talk to people all the time who want to get into LE but have some sort of record.
Yeah it might be minor, but there are too many applicants out there who managed to keep their noses clean while growing up.
The mouth breathers in GD might  talk about LEOs being the kid who got put in his locker while growing up ( the guys I know working tend to not fit that stereotype but whatever)...but ya know what? The LEOs I know weren't out getting a juvenile criminal record while growing up, either.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top