Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/1/2002 3:01:34 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/1/2002 6:28:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Hi Garand_Shooter--
I'm not a LEO, but I am a ham operator and I shoot Garands, so maybe I can shed some light.  I don't think you will resolve this one without someone getting hurt.  I make this statement based on the fact that since LEOs are putting lots of money into their bootlegged rigs, they have accepted this as the norm, probably not realizing how defensive hams are about keeping what little space they have left.  

You might try contacting your local ham club and make it a group action.  Have the chapter ham club officers set up an appointment with the CLEO and explain to him how important it is to maintain your airspace and mention the consequences if it is reported to the FCC. They don't have to threaten him with this, but explain how upset some of the local hams have become and see what the CLEO can do for them.

You might be able to work this in a way that you don't have to become the bad guy, since the action is coming from the entire ham group.  

Well, hope this helps.  Play it by ear and make sure the members keep their cool.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2002 12:56:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Garand shooter,,,,,Hello....

I'm a LEO for past 11 years and my department out here in souther CA sent me to a ham radio school so I could get my "tech" license, in order to operate with the departments "DCS" (disaster communications service) HAM program.

So, being both a LEO and a HAM,  i would be outraged!  I agree with Prebandana...get some local clubs involved immediately.  

Write letters to the chief, first, then the mayor and city council if it doesn't work with the chief.  I personally wouldn't be afraid to contact them and give them my name.  It's a free country aint it.  We don't live in Nazi Germany.

Just cause we're cops, don't mean we can break the law for our own use/pleasure.

UPS already "bought" up what was it, 440mhz or some 220mhz freq's as I recall.  We keep loosing more and more frequencies.

If the chief doesn't correct the problem, then yes, go to the FCC.  Follow through with it too.  That's Bull sh*t!  If they wanna talk on 2 meters, they can go get a license.  2 meters has become more and more like CB out here in CA.  It's terrible.  I wouldn't tolerate that.

Stand up for your rights and do something about that.  whatever way you do it, do something.

If the cops start "jammin" you, you can complain.  I really doubt they are going to do something to you personally.  

Seriously, as a cop from a big department, take my advice and at least start a letter campaign showing the FCC law and pointing out the unauthorized users must stop.

Link Posted: 7/3/2002 10:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/12/2002 8:15:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that you should consider moving if you get these guys in trouble.  If you get those guys in hot water your screwed.  Is that right, NO.  But it is fact.  And your wife will be working with them after the fact, she will not enjoy her job for very long, as she will be outcasted immediately as her husband is now know as a rat.  LEO's are usually tight knit and if you screw with them they will all be on your ass.  Just because the CLEO is told about it is not going to help you.  I would say leave it alone if you unless you want to be the center of attention for all cops in your community.  Not trying to discourage your efforts just telling you how it is.  Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top