Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/25/2002 9:38:58 PM EDT
So, how do the folks here at AR15.com feel about Mr Stewart and his recent loss in court? [I will assume folks know about this whole story; otherwise I'll leave some links.] youngun
Link Posted: 1/25/2002 9:44:09 PM EDT
You should leave some links. From what I've gathered it means if you are a felon you shouldn't have machineguns (5 Stens) lying around the house. I heard whether his Maadi-Griffins were kits or complete rifles weren't an issue in the trial.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 12:42:22 PM EDT
What is the whole story? Last I heard a few months back a judge reinstated his gun rights retroactive to before his Maadi-Griffin kit sales woes. This left the BATF in a awkward position, and their case in question as to whether they could continue with it. Have you heard something else?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 8:07:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/26/2002 8:10:36 PM EDT by youngun]
Yeah, he is sitting in jail as we speak, waiting for his sentence. The judge wouldn't let him post bail. Here's the link: [url=www.keepandbeararms.com/newsarchives/XcNewsPlus.asp?cmd=view&articleid=2218]Robert Smith[/url] It looks pretty bad to me.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:45:35 AM EDT
I an not a lawyer, and I do not have enough info on the case (unbiased info) to make a call on the case. The one thing I do disagree with is keeping him in jail awaiting appeal and sentencing. He has always cooperated and is not a foight risk.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 4:52:36 AM EDT
Could be a ploy by the Judge toget him a longer sentence... Make him out to be a bad guy to the jury. imho
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 10:58:06 AM EDT
It could be that Smith, a felon convicted as a result of his own guilty plea, was just too stupid to stay out of trouble. He evidently also had an ineffective or downright stupid defense attorney.
Link Posted: 1/27/2002 11:27:18 AM EDT
IF this article is true in its entirety, which I seriously doubt, then most likely it will be remanded back to Silver for a retrial to allow the evidence of coercion and such. The judge clearly overstepped her bounds (if the article is true) and as a result, the case will be reheard. It also sounds like this jackass wanted to be a martyr in court, he begged for a conviction. I have no sympathy for stupidity. As far as the judge's instructions go...the writer of that article has no clue as to how instructions work in a court room. As a result of his ignorance and complete lack of refrain from spouting that ignorance, I take the article with a grain of salt. I especially love the part where the writer believes that a finding of guilt somehow lies in part on what a sentencing will do to his family! What a load of horse shit. Read the case.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:21:17 PM EDT
Poor Bob screwed himself- the facts are clear, he was a felon and had guns in his home. Duh! What's *more* interesting is that many gun owners will believe what they want to, including that he was framed. Such self-delusion isn't going to help our cause. Look here for more info: [url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=89231[/url]
Top Top