Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/3/2002 9:06:18 PM EDT
I'd like some feedback on the ethics of going out of one's way in order to run over a coyote (or any other animal) on the highway.

Today I witnessed a guy driving a pickup on his way loaded with his dirt bikes to go riding ahead of me at 75 mph swerve into the smooth, yet dusty, gravelly, median area of a wide four lane (two lanes each way) highway just to run over a coyote.

I'm sure he did this as sport yet if it were truly sporting he would be playing on the coyotes turf and hunting him with a rifle not engaged in driving to the off-road riding area with dirt-biking on his mind and just happened to see the opportunity to kill a coyote. Suppose he swerved too far and wiped out? Who's supposed to pick up and discard the carcass? Where's the satisfaction, the utility of it?

Stupid move or what?
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:08:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 9:27:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't mind folks killing coyotes too much when their livelihood is at stake!

But to endanger themselves in traffic is way beyond weird!

The Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept here does autopsies on roadkilled coyotes, as well as other coyotes brought in to them.

I don't know what the statistics might be in other states, but in Texas approximately 90% of the coyotes diet is....field mice!

So if you are supporting your family on a diet of field mice, if you're raising field mice for their fur as a commercial venture, or if you're breeding field mice to sell for profit to reseach laboratories, then by all means kill coyotes to protect your family's welfare!

The rest of you are just sick![:D]

BTW, do you know that the Plains Indians almost unanimously believed that humans came from coyotes, that they were the smartest of all of the great Wacondah's creatures, that they taught humans to hunt, and that their presence boded well for any tribe.

Eric The(RealMenDon'tKillCoyoytes)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 1:20:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
BTW, do you know that the Plains Indians almost unanimously believed that humans came from coyotes, that they were the smartest of all of the great Wacondah's creatures, that they taught humans to hunt, and that their presence boded well for any tribe.

Eric The(RealMenDon'tKillCoyoytes)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Eric,

The indians lost.  Why would you want to identify yourself with losers?
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=97953[/url]

Kill a coyote, kill a crow, kill a prairie dog, kill a grey squirrel.  You're doing the environment a world of good.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:32:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Post from 71-Hour_Achmed -
The indians lost. Why would you want to identify yourself with losers?
View Quote

I'm a Hun. We lost too.

Eric The(It'sLikeShootingRinTinTin)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Eric The(RealMenDon'tKillCoyoytes)Hun
View Quote

Mr Eric, don't come round here voicing that opinion.  Coyotes and wild dogs(not to mention loose family pets)killing livestock are a major problem.  The large farm down the road here lost several calves this past weekend to "something".  I lost four goats earlier to some now deceased "family pets".

And yeah, go for it if you can maintain control of the vehicle.

[sniper][IMG]http://www.contrabandent.com/cwm/s/contrib/aahmed/sad.gif[/IMG]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:23:44 AM EDT
[#8]
My grandfather had a unique way of dealing with strays that killed his livestock.

Capture wild animal with a collapsing cage.  Duct tape a 8" pipe bomb on it's stomach, filled with FFFFg.  Rub it's asshole raw with a corncob.  Light the fuse, and splash a little turpentine on its ass, then release.  It is a version of a guided missle. The feet never touch the ground till detonation.  Nothing to bury, clean up, etc.  It was quite useful and amusing until a wild dog that was "Armed" ran under his house and blew a hole in the porch.  After that, we went to a 22 or 30-30
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Mr. platform389, are they certain that it was coyotes?  Most of the time it's wild dogs around my part of Texas.

If coyotes in West Texas could take 'several calves' in one weekend, they'd be driving cars.

But a diet of 90% field mice doesn't help farmers at all?

Eric The(Ranching)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 2:30:06 PM EDT
[#10]
This man has no ethics. He is not a sportsman. If he didn't at least let him get across the ditch, threw a fence or chase him down between oncoming traffic he outright MURDERED him.

He must have NOT been driving a GM product or he would have put more effort into the chase. The English use horses for fox hunts. We use Chevy trucks for coyote hunts. Is there a difference? Different sportsman use different tools for different species.

And NO I don't need a lecture, am trying to be funny again, but it might not work.

About a week ago I went out to a guy whom had many coyotes. The night before he had a newborn calf, the next morning he had a few scraps left of a newborn calf. He shot one that was too full to run fast. I got another that was really mangy. Tried calling and had 4 come into about 600yds but no coyote. Seen two others behind them on a bluff about another 1/4 mile. Six in your glasses from one spot=to many coyotes. Also the neighbor had trapped 10 this winter. They are hard on newborn calves, sheep and reap havok on deer and antelope fawns, pheasant and grouse. So we just help mother nature a bit.
Link Posted: 3/4/2002 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#11]
...  The only time I have ever NOT eaten what I have killed is when we were clearing skunks off of a 2000 acre ranch because they were a nuisance to the cattle.  Oh, and some possum because a lot were carrying rabies...

View Quote

I have to tell you this:  That's completely [red]IMPOSSIBLE.[/red]  

The body temperature of opossums is [red] TOO LOW TO SUPPORT THE RABIES VIRUS [/red] and as a result, you will NEVER find a rabid possum. It's impossible.

CJ
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top