Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/9/2002 12:37:25 PM EDT
I've got an older PC with a P6BX-Me motherboard (Intel 440BX chipset). The owners manual says it'll use PC100 or 66 MHz DIMM's. I seem to recall through the fog that back in the day I could use SIMM's that were faster or the same speed as the chips in my box. So... can I use PC133 chips on this Motherboard? Seems like PC133 is always being advertised cheaper than PC100.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:40:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, you can.  Make sure the dims will work on a 440BX though--contact the vendor and verify before you buy.  There are a bunch of 256MB and bigger modules that will not function on older motherboards (Sad to say the 440BX is now an "older" motherboard.  *sigh*)
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! I know I can't use anything larger than 128Mb on it. My little girls E-machine is suffering with 32Mb. The plan is to pull the 2 64's out of my box and replace then with a pair 128's. Then the 64's will take up residence in the E-machine.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 1:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually, my 440BX based machine (Tekram P6B) has 768MB of RAM in it, and at least in theory, will handle up to a gig.  Buy your ram from Micron at [url]www.crucial.com[/url]

They'll let you enter your motherboard info and supply modules that will work.  They also offer free 2nd day shipping, and are pretty price competitive.

Buy a single 256, it'll be cheaper than the two 128's anyway.

(edit: typo in link.)
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:25:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Hmmm... Crucial says that a 256Mb PC133 chip will work and Office Max is advertising same at only $45 this week! I always like to have a real person I can annoy if something should go wrong. Thanks again Zak... that Crucial link is a nice resource.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 2:44:26 PM EDT
[#5]
All 256MB DIMMs are not created equally.  Verify with Office Depot who the manufacturer is, and attempt to contact them.  Some will NOT work with 440BX based systems.

I ran into this problem when those DIMMs first started to hit the market.  They were DRASTICALLY cheaper than anything that had come before, but at the time would ONLY function with the current generation VIA chipsets.

I just popped the thing into my Athlon based system, so I didn't LOSE anything, but I'm suspecting you don't have that luxury.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 6:51:45 PM EDT
[#6]
The company is K-Byte Memory... went to their web site and it is nothing much. I sent an e-mail to their tech folks.

What is the down side if I get an incompatible chip? Would it just not boot and so I have to put the old chips back in, or can it damage the motherboard some how?
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 8:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on the DIMM.  Some will not show as present (providing 0MB RAM--obviously, not good) while others will report as 64MB or 128MB (depending on your chipset.)

None of them will damage your motherboard, and the only thing that would keep you from booting is if the module wasn't recognized at all.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 9:38:31 AM EDT
[#8]
With the only downside being I'll have to put the old chips back in, I think I'll go take a chance.

I really appreciate all the help Zak.
Link Posted: 2/10/2002 6:46:04 PM EDT
[#9]
No problem--I'm sure one of these days I'll post a similar question (probably firearm instead of computer related though! [:)]) any will get the answer I need, too.

Just part of being in the club.
Link Posted: 2/16/2002 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Finally got a chance to swap out the chips... thought I'd let you know it was a complete success. While my machine saw a marginal gain, the little girls E-machine is [b]MUCHO[/b] faster with 128 than 32.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top