Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2002 8:31:36 AM EDT
Be sure to take your titanium umbrella to work today.

[url]http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/01/29/satellite.fall/index.html[/url]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#1]
It seems that the reporter knows nothing about what he is reporting on.

[b]"It is expected to begin disintegrating when it descends to within 50 miles (80 km) of the surface, then re-enter the atmosphere approximately seven hours later."[/b]

Exactly what is the satellite supposed to disentigrate from if it hasn't entered the atmosphere?  The atmosphere stretches for far more than 50 miles out.  It takes 7 hours to fall from 50 miles to the atmosphere?

This just makes no sense.  Sort of like a .22 LR sniper rifle, deadly accurate to 1.5 miles.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:32:26 AM EDT
[#2]
There are lots of possibilities.  Orbits are all elliptical, a circular (constant altitude) orbit being one special case of an ellipse.  A sattelite could easily dip into the atmosphere and out again, losing energy each time before it makes the final plunge.  Guarantee the first dip into significant air will tear up solar panels & antennae.  

The reporter is most likely an ignorant slut, but could well be right by accident.  Most of them just repeat press releases, anyway.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 9:57:36 AM EDT
[#3]
The sky is falling and it can't get up!
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:04:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Do everyone a favor.  If you see a heavy hunk of metal hurtling towards someone's head at a high speed, be polite and please yell [i]heads-up[/i].  It could save a life.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:15:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Hey, what's 100 lbs of scrap titanium worth?  If it misses the house it could be a pretty good score...  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I think that they'll pay you for the debris, "if you survive" the impact that is.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 10:21:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:34:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
There are lots of possibilities.
View Quote

I suppose, I hadn't thought of that.

Still it seems that 50 miles is awful deep in the atmosphere.  The craft would have to be travelling pretty fast to penetrate that deep, and then make one more 1/2 orbit.

If it were, then the long part of the elipse would take longer than 7 hours.

I used to have some software that could model this for me.  I don't have it with me, but it seems wrong for some reason.  The g's would be too high, the original orbit would be too eliptical.  If the report had said 100 miles, I could have lived with that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Nevertheless, an estimated nine steel or titanium
                pieces could survive re-entry, ranging from four
                pounds to 100 pounds (1.8 kg to 45 kg).
View Quote

9 pieces over the area of the earth, slim chance being hit by a piece.  Then if it does enter around Florida, it's got a high chance of hitting only old people. [:D]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 11:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Then if it does enter around Florida, it's got a high chance of hitting only old people.
View Quote

If it hits Taxxachusetts, there's a good chance only liberals will be harmed.  If it hits over Canada, will anyone notice?  If it hits over Washington, will the Democrats blame the Republicans, and vice-versa?  If it hits over the middle east, will anyone care?  OK, I'll stop now.z
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#11]

Here is the the full story from NASA

[url]http://www.nasa.gov/releases/2002/02-016.html[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top