Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2002 10:56:35 AM EDT
Gun control effective? Absolutely not. Take away legally-owned guns, the criminals will ALWAYS get guns illicitly, even if they have to make guns themselves.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=488673&in_review_text_id=446145

Armour for north London police

by Justin Davenport Crime Correspondent

Scotland Yard has ordered police in north London to wear bullet-proof vests at all times because of soaring gun crime - the first time such an order has been made in mainland Britain.

Officers in Haringey have been told protective armour should be worn on the streets even on routine patrols after a dramatic rise in the number of firearms offences.

In the past 12 weeks there were 300 emergency calls in Haringey in relation to alleged firearms, 109 of these resulted in evidence of guns being used or seen.

Bob Elder, chairman of the Police Federation's constables' branch, who is based at Haringey, said: "My colleagues are increasingly worried. In Haringey there are 999  (note: British "911 Emergency")  calls about firearms activity on an almost daily basis.

"There is a heightened awareness of firearms issues in boroughs such as Haringey and Hackney and there is now a directive that officers should wear body armour on operational duty as a health and safety issue.

[b]"We have pretty strong gun laws in this country but they do not seem to be having any effect." [/b]

At present, officers in the Met are not obliged to wear body armour except at times of greater risk. In practice more and more officers are opting to wear it.

The news comes as police seized a deadly Mac 10 submachine gun and uncovered a [b]firearms factory[/b] in Haringey at the weekend.

The US-made Mac 10, capable of firing 20 rounds a second, was seized in a raid on a flat in Bounds Green. Police also found 100 rounds of ammunition. Two men aged 21 have been charged with firearms offences.

In a separate operation police found what they described as a firearms "reactivation" factory in Tottenham. In a flat in Ingleborough Court police found vices, metal gun barrels and other weapons-making paraphernalia.

Haringey police are working closely with the Operation Trident squad which investigates gangsters in the crack cocaine trade.

Borough police commander Stephen James said: "I am delighted by the success of these operations, which have disrupted the access to firearms by criminals. I know the use and recovery of firearms in London is now almost routine."

© Associated Newspapers Ltd., 15 January 2002
Terms and Conditions
This Is London

In one century we went from teaching Latin and Greek in high school to offering remedial English in college.
- --JOSEPH SOBRAN
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:59:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, gun control really works, doesn't it?
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 10:59:54 AM EDT
[#2]
[url]www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=488673&in_review_text_id=446145
[/url]
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 11:09:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Does it really surprise you? The same reports are coming in for Australia. Like there murder rate has gone up 300%. If I find where I read this I'll post it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#4]
So vices are weapons making paraphenalia?  Metal gun barrels?

Its a good thing I don't live in Jolly Old.  Even gun types pass bricks when they see my garage.

In my garage, I have not one, but FOUR vices.

I have a 5" Record bench vice used to make precision sniper rifles (and to securely hold bits of metal and wood while I whittle on them).

I have a Saturday Night Special vice, unregistered and untraceable to me.  This is cheap, very disposable, and can easily removed from a bench by children by turning a handscrew.

I have a swivel vice securely attached to my mill.  This is my high capacity vise.

My lathe has a milling attachment vise that sits by the garage door.  This is indended as a ready vice to defend my garage against theives.  It's jaws are open and unlocked.  

Good grief!  
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 3:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a couple of vises hidden in my basement, just waiting for when the SHTF. Imagine the foul deeds that could be perpetrated with such dastardly implements. The Gun-Free Zones would no longer be safe.

FITTER out
Link Posted: 1/22/2002 4:25:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Here are some related links

Mayor calls for war on gun crime
[url]www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=489608[/url]

Brixton guard shot in neck
[url]www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=489615[/url]

Passer-by shot on London street
[url]www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=490294[/url]

Rock star's ex robbed of gems
[url]www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=488809[/url]

Man dies in triple shooting
[url]www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynamic/news/story.html?in_review_id=488686[/url]

Hell, I thought South Central LA was bad.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top