Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/2/2002 11:33:55 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone else has a hard time running in cold weather. Its 5 degrees here, I didnt even run 3 miles and I feel like I just got my ass kicked. Three or four miles is no problem for me when it's around 60 or so.

Ah, the joys of being an out of shape reservist! [:)]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:03:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't run, but I have witnessed the following behavior in dedicated runners:

Summer: Wear three layers of sweats or a plastic suit.
Winter: Wear shorts and a T-shirt.

What's up with that? As if running isn't tough enough, why do they have to make it more uncomfortable?  Masochism? Lack of blood flow to the brain?
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:37:18 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems like the cold takes more out of me, although VERY hot weather is worse.  The cold seems to make me tense, trying to keep warm.  

The other thing about cold weather is the snow underfoot.  I just got some trail shoes, which help some, but I think that it harder to run in the snow because it is hard to get traction.

On the other hand, the really cold days, like 30 to 40 below have their own magic.  BRRR!
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:41:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:44:46 PM EDT
[#4]
When the weather gets really cold I run on a treadmill indoors I hate the ashtma sensation of breathing the cold air and I cant stand running with something covering mouth and nose to warm air prior to breating it. My wife got bronchitis from running out doors one year and now cant do it anymore. The other thing is you dehydrate at a faster rate due to the dryer air so that can have an effect also.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I think it's probably because your body is wasting, if that's what you want to call it, energy keeping itself warm that is usually used for running.

It's the same reason that people living in extremely cold climates need more calories per day to do the same thing as people in more temperate climates.

[:(]---me outside in the Texas snow
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 1:56:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I run every night during the week.  I only run about 2.5 miles though.  Last night the temp. was 4 degrees, very cold.  The first half mile, I thought my face would freeze, but after that, I warmed up and did fine.  The temp here at night has been averaging about 20 degrees most nights.  I kinda like it better than hot weather.  I wear long jons, sweat shorts, windpants, a Tee shirt, sweat shirt, wind breaker, heavy ski gloves, and my wool ski hat.  The hat does the trick in staying warm.  I always come home with a good sweat going.  My face was even sweating last night.

I wish I could run 5 miles....I think my knees would give out after a few days of that, though.
Link Posted: 1/2/2002 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you have a quality "windbreaker"?  What makes running hard for me is the wind chill.  Ususally can get by with my goretex coat, poly pro long sleave t-shirt and a cap if its really cold (under 10 degrees).  What I do get is what the doctor described as "runners asma"  Running for a long period of time (over an hour) in freezing weather and then coming into a warm enviroment (indoors).  I've also found that if I run at night with a headset with music, it take my mind of the weather (keep in mind you still have to pay attention to you're surroundings).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top