Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2001 6:10:25 PM EDT
Well, I mentioned earlier about me wanting to get into the National Guard..........I have now signed up.

Had to take the ASVAB again since it has been something like 18 years since I took it and I scored real well.............well enough to select any MOS I wanted.

I choose MP and will be going for the pyhsical this next Wednesday in Nashville.  God willing, that should all be okay as well and I will be sworn in the same day.  Basic will be as soon as possible thereafter.

Also had enough college credits (over 60 hrs.) to go into basic as a PFC (E3) which will allow me to draw more pay for basic and AIT and more for drill as well.  

Basic will be immediately followed by AIT all of which is at Fort Lost In The Woods........yep...........a whole 28 weeks worth at that!  Looks like only the DET of my MP unit is activated right now (80 of 140) and as such no new recruits are allowed for them........that will probably keep me off active duty unless things change.  

Just thought I'd share the progress to date with you guys.

I will certainly miss getting to be on the board while gone but am sure I won't have much time to worry about it.

More as it develops.
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:15:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:22:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:30:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks beekeeper...............

It has been a very "interesting" month but as things have progressed I am almost overwhelmed at times by a feeling of calm and direction that I have not felt in the last few years.

Perhaps.....perhaps this is best for everyone.

Head is on straight.....eyes straight forward.....heart doing fine..............looks like I am gonna make it.

Thank you for your freindship.

I will stay in touch.

Thank God my parents are computer literate!
Link Posted: 12/4/2001 6:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:37:11 AM EDT
[#5]
MP security forces?  Man you are going active right away and will be guarding luggage at airports. I would re-think my choice.
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 12:39:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Have fun...
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 5:46:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
MP security forces?  Man you are going active right away and will be guarding luggage at airports. I would re-think my choice.
View Quote

Nope!

When a unit or a detachment thereof goes active no new recruiting is allowed for that unit.

In the interim, I will be part of a local ASG unit, will drill with the MP unit and will not be faced with any type of active duty any sooner than I complete basic (9-11 wks) or AIT (17-18 wks).

After that who knows......if my det is still active I may go where they are provided that I have the required training at that point in time for the mission they are on.

Besides, airport duty is voluntary right now for my unit and the det is stateside guarding Federal Installations............either way...............it is still service to this country and a common cause..................[b][i]that[/b][/i] is the main objective.

Glamour... i.e. doing something besides guarding luggage......is not part of the formula my friend.

Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:01:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/5/2001 6:06:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey if they would let me back in I'd sure as heck gaurd airports, yeah the money would be much less, but it would be worth it to be able to contribute, am I the only one who hoped for a draft?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top