Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 12:29:39 PM EDT
Daisy Cutters, B-52s, A-10 Warthogs, Aircraft Carriers, The CIA, Budweiser, and Marine-Air-Ground-Task-Forces.
I love America.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:35:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I could watch that slow motion "daisy cutter" video 1000 times.
Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Marine General Peter Pace, just gave a press conference.
He described the weapon well, and finished his description with, "...and its purpose is to kill as many people as posible."
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:52:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Vice Chairman of the Joint Chiefs, Marine General Peter Pace, just gave a press conference.
He described the weapon well, and finished his description with, "...and its purpose is to kill as many people as posible."
View Quote

WooHoo!  
I like that!

Kill the Taliban!  Kill the Taliban![rocket]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:55:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Daisy Cutters, B-52s, A-10 Warthogs, Aircraft Carriers, The CIA, [red]Sam Adams[/red] [s]Budweiser[/s], and Marine-Air-Ground-Task-Forces.
I love America.
View Quote

Me too [:D]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Few problems can't be solved with a suitable application of 12,800 pounds of HE.  I love BLU-82s.  IYAAYAS!  

Eddie    
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
You do realize the cost of this weapon is far exceeded by the cost of delivering it to its target!  Yes, pound for pound, this is a CHEAP bomb!

About $27,000 per copy.  The reason?  Its a slurry of aluminum, ammonium nitrate and WATER!!!

I wonder how many we could fit in a C-17???  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, I'd like to see how many they could fit into a Galaxy.  I'd also like to see a some carpet bombing with Daisy Cutters.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:44:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Great link Osprey.
The thing that I love the best about them is that they are relatively cheap.
Were blasting them to Allah and saving a buck at the same time. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 4:39:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
[b]Kill for [s]Peace[/s]Victory ![/b]

[url]http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/blu-82.htm[/url]

View Quote
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:01:19 PM EDT
[#10]
B-52D was the first plane I ever worked with in the air force.  It had awesome conventional capabilites in that it could put accurately on target 108 MK-82 500lb bombs.  Unfortunately they and their E/F model brothers were scrapped in the 80's.  I think the G model is also gone now and the current H model holds less than half that load.  I doubt that there are more than a dozen or two operating against the Taliban.  

Our "carpet bombing" capability has been dealt a crippling blow as a result.  I remember that the Arc light missions in Vietnam involved up to 150 B-52 aircraft on a single mission.

The A-10 is an awesome aircraft also but suffers from the stigma of being a ground support aircraft. This is a role the Air Force has tradionally shunned.  The Air Force, which is run pretty much by fighter jocks prefers the more glamorous F-15/F-16 fighters and you aren't really a "pilot" unless you fly one.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Finally someone with the balls to be politically INcorrect!  And he was HAPPY about it too!  LOL!!!  Now THAT's what being an American is all about!

ARnSC  [pyro]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 5:42:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
B-52D was the first plane I ever worked with in the air force.  It had awesome conventional capabilites in that it could put accurately on target 108 MK-82 500lb bombs.  Unfortunately they and their E/F model brothers were scrapped in the 80's.  I think the G model is also gone now and the current H model holds less than half that load.  I doubt that there are more than a dozen or two operating against the Taliban.  

Our "carpet bombing" capability has been dealt a crippling blow as a result.  I remember that the Arc light missions in Vietnam involved up to 150 B-52 aircraft on a single mission.

The A-10 is an awesome aircraft also but suffers from the stigma of being a ground support aircraft. This is a role the Air Force has tradionally shunned.  The Air Force, which is run pretty much by fighter jocks prefers the more glamorous F-15/F-16 fighters and you aren't really a "pilot" unless you fly one.
View Quote

FINALLY!  Someone mentioned the Arclight raids!  Tens of Thousands of souls just vaporized outside of Khe Sahn.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#13]
So?  How many did it kill?  Any?

Is it any wonder why everyone around the world hates America?  "Tens of thousands of souls just vaporized" and for what?  
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:22:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Were the Acrlight missions part of operation Linebacker and Linebacker II?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#15]
any one got a link to the video of the bomb??
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:37:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I thought they were filled with chilled propane?

Nope there it is right there on the FAS page, powdered aluminum.

Now I would never of guessed that aluminum shavings would be explosive- Would you?

Actually, as fun as they are, I heard on MSNBC this evening that the results of the two drops over the weekend were disappointing. We were apparently testing to see how they would work at collapsing tunnels, and the initial reports came back with less than expected damage.

Course the soil in Afganistan is a lot harder than what you find in Vietnam or even Kuwait. Perhaps in the spring when the rain and snowmelt soak in?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 2:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
So?  How many did it kill?  Any?

Is it any wonder why everyone around the world hates America?  "Tens of thousands of souls just vaporized" and for what?  
View Quote

The reason at the time that thousands of them (NVA) were vaporized was they were laying seige to Khe Sahn and its reinforced Marine Regiment.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 3:43:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I thought they were filled with chilled propane?

Nope there it is right there on the FAS page, powdered aluminum.

Now I would never of guessed that aluminum shavings would be explosive- Would you?
View Quote

Thermite is made from a varying mixture of aluminum powder, iron oxide, and magnesium.  50-40-10 works pretty well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top