Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/6/2001 6:13:34 AM EDT
We had a party out at my house this weekend. Plenty of beer, but we ran out of cups, so I just picked up some of the used platic Solo cups and reused them.  (drunk logic,)

As the party continued I would just picked up a cup and refill it. (for myself and others)

Guess what? One of the party goers had a cold sore, and now I am getting that funny tickling feeling in the corner of my mouth!  Grrr!

Is there any way to prevent this from being a full-blown outbreak?  

I really don't want to walk around with a cold sore for the next week or two.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:46:21 AM EDT
[#1]
eeewwwwwww....

HERPES.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 6:55:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Vitamins.  Get a good multi.

I used to have them on a regular basis, sometimes bad.

I would always get them after spending a couple of days out hunting in cold weather.  I would keep rubbing my nose to keep it dry and aggravate or get chapped lips real bad.  That progress into cold sores.

Been doing a One A Day Multi and haven't had so much as red spot since.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:05:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Call your doctor or dentist and ask them to call in a prescription for you for Viroxyn.  It's a topical liquid that will stop the cold sore completely if you catch it early, or will shorten the length of time you have it if it has already surfaced.  You have to have a prescription to get it, but it's the only thing I've found that really works.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:15:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I get em too- not as much as I used to.  It seemed that the sun had a lot to do with them-I make sure to wear lib block stuff when out in the sun.

Check out a prescription drug called Denavir- it works excellent-just apply a couple times a day when you feel the tingling- and most of the time it never even shows up.  Pretty spendy though.  I paid 30 bucks for a tiny tube.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:27:17 AM EDT
[#5]
get a prescription for valtrex pills and it will be gone in a day and a half.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:31:56 AM EDT
[#6]
rub salt and lemon juice on it causes it to dry out plus lots of vitamin E and C.   MY wife has to hold me down while she does this she gets a kick out of watching me scream but it does work.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 7:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Cow manure rubbed on your lips will keep you from licking them...thus they will not dry out and the cold sores will not develop!
Word of warning though...It tastes like CRAP![:D]
But then so does most of the medicines!
BigDozer66
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:02:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:11:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the advice.

I have a call in right now to the Dr.

Still makes me kick myself using drunk logic, again...

The more I think back to the party, the more times I remember passing cigarettes, cups, (here try this!) etc.  

We had a Chili cookoff as well... "Try some of mine, add some of this... this taste better, Does this need salt...?"  

stupid stupid stupid. [stick]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:14:44 AM EDT
[#10]
There's new medicine called Abreva. $16.00 for a tiny tube, but it works great. Over the counter, no prescription.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:19:16 AM EDT
[#11]
[B]DISCLAIMER[/B] - The following works for me, and you're free to try it, but I make no promises.  Be extremely careful when doing any of the following, as the virus can spread to other parts of the body if you are not careful.

When I get a cold sore I do the following, listed in order of progression of the virus:

I keep a tube of Abreva handy at all times, and apply to the area as soon as you feel the tingle or burning.  Caught quickly enough, the Abreva will actually stop the sore.  I've had that happen twice, but even if it doesn't stop the sore it may help shorten the duration.

If blisters are already forming, I take a sewing needle, sterilize it with fire, then pierce the blisters, and apply liberal amounts of rubbing alcohol around and into the blisters.  The last time I got a cold sore, I did this the day it happened, which was a Friday, and it was completely healed by Monday.  Just be sure to clean the area around the sore with fresh alcohol so that it doesn't spread.  Follow this up by patting dry with a small sized fold of toilet paper, and do not rub.  Apply the toilet paper to absorb the excess once, hold, then throw away.  I generally use a lightly alcohol soaked one to pat after the whole process to leave a light film to clean the area which will quickly air dry.

I also start a regiment of the following:

5000mg (yes, 5000mg) of the amino acid L-Lysine, three times a day.  I buy the 250 count bottles of 500mg "Spring Valley" L-Lysine from Wal-Mart for $4.  L-Lysine has been proven to hinder reproduction of the virus, as well as stimulate your immune system.

1-3mg of Melatonin to help stimulate the immune system.  I find it best to get the smallest dosage possible, as you don't want to over do the Melatonin.

Goldenseal, which also helps stimulate the immune system.  Forget the dosage per pill, but I know the ones I have at home are two pilles taken three times daily.

Zinc Acetate or Zinc Gluconate lozenges.  Commonly, these can be found in Cold-Eze lozenges.  They taste ok, but leave a really bad aftertaste.  I put the lozeng in my mouth, behind where the sore is until it desolves.  Zinc acetate and Zinc Gluconate have been clinically shown to stop the virus from reproducing by binding their viral DNA and keeping them from infecting the new cells.

I've also heard about things like Viroxyn, which sound amazing, but I've never used it.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:54:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok....

Abreva applied   --- Check!

Vitamin C ---  Check!

Zinc Luconate w/B12 drops  (lemon lime, yummy!) --- Check!

Thanks guys, will elt you know if it works.

Immediately after applying the Abreva, the tingling stopped.  Micro-blisters, small amount of swelling, maybe we caught it in time....
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:05:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
eeewwwwwww....

HERPES.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. If you have an STD then you need to stay the F home! Your social live is over, you sleazy little gutter slut.

I am really sick of the Rx drug commercials on TV for Herpes meds. The ones that show some chick kickboxing, then she drives off into the sunset in her jeep with some poor guy in the passangers seat who doesnt know he's gonna get the gift that keeps on giving.

The message of the commercial is herpes is no big deal, take our pill and lead a normal life. Sorry, it dont work that way. If you have a STD you are not normal. You are deseased little freak who should stay the F home!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:18:28 AM EDT
[#14]
Christ-cold sores are NOT the fucking herpes you get by sticking your little dick into that sleaze bitch...I am not sure of the 'type' that cold sores are, but WTF-It would be nice to be perfect like ARfan.

hey GodblessTexas- I have done the same with the needle- it does seem to work-but a little crude for some.

I just stick to the Denavir.  it gets rid of em before the blisters.

I have always tried to figure out what was causing them- and the only things I could place were 1. too much sun on the lips, and 2. like your party theroy- I seemed to get them a lot more often when I drank like a fish.  I have cut back a lot, and seems to be lot fewer now.
I also take an extra half daily vitamin for good measure when one comes on.

Our party logic was stair diving-after looking back it just does not make sense...at all
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:22:15 AM EDT
[#15]
Realy AR15fan.

One more time, pull your head out of your ass BEFORE you start talking about something you know abso-fucking-lutely nothing about
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:31:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
eeewwwwwww....

HERPES.
View Quote

My thoughts exactly. If you have an STD then you need to stay the F home! Your social live is over, you sleazy little gutter slut.

I am really sick of the Rx drug commercials on TV for Herpes meds. The ones that show some chick kickboxing, then she drives off into the sunset in her jeep with some poor guy in the passangers seat who doesnt know he's gonna get the gift that keeps on giving.

The message of the commercial is herpes is no big deal, take our pill and lead a normal life. Sorry, it dont work that way. If you have a STD you are not normal. You are deseased little freak who should stay the F home!
View Quote

Well, a cold sore is caused by Herpes Simplex-1, but it resides (when dormant) in the nerves by the ear.  

From a website...

"Once the cold sore heals, the virus remains dormant in the body retreating to nerves located by the ear."

Unless you know of some sexual weird technique that I am not aware of, then I highly doubt that a cold sore can be considered a Sexually Transmitted Disease.

Lemme guess...  You probably believe that having someone stick their tongue in your ear can give you Hearing AIDS?

From the same site website...

"It is estimated that 80-90% of the population has been exposed to and carries the HSV-1 virus."

Since 80-90% of the population is carrying the disease, the chances are greater that YOU are infected, than free of the virus.  By your logic, you are most likely a diseased little freak who should had the F at home.

Keep in mind, it is always better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it.  ;)

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:44:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Christ-cold sores are NOT the fucking herpes you get by sticking your little dick into that sleaze bitch...
View Quote

Actually you can have "Genital" herpes on your genitals, anus, lip, mucus membranes, ect. Unless you have had a blood test to determine hich version of the virus you contracted, then you really dont know.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:46:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I highly doubt that a cold sore can be considered a Sexually Transmitted Disease.
View Quote

Apparently Redgoat got it from sharing a drink, but lots of other people get "cold sore" becuase they kissed someone who gets "cold sores", that's an STD.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:51:03 AM EDT
[#19]
Mine can't be 'genital' type because I have never had se...I mean, with human...I mean...you dont think sheep carry this disease...do they?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Actually you can have "Genital" herpes on your genitals, anus, lip, mucus membranes, ect. Unless you have had a blood test to determine hich version of the virus you contracted, then you really dont know.
View Quote

Actually, a blood test proves nothing, as Herpes Simplex I and II are very closely related, and the blood tests often will come back positive for both kinds.  The only real way to tell is to get a virus culture taken directly from the blister, which is time consuming and expensive.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:11:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Denavir ointment, 1%.  Applied at the time of the itching, it prevents outbreak about 50% of the time; if the lesion does break out, it reduces the size and duration.  Be advised if this is truly herpes simplex, you're stuck with it for life.  It will hibernate in your trigeminal ganglion only to rear it's ugly head under periods of emotional or physical stress, or immune supression(such as a cold, hence the name).  Keep some Denavir on hand for the next time.

Dr. Shooter.

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:29:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Our party logic was stair diving-after looking back it just does not make sense...at all
View Quote

We tried Stair-Surfing once...  Wasn't pretty.

Two Story house with Carpeted stairs, $135,000.00

30 pack of beer $15.99

Cardboard from a gunsafe  Free!

Enough common sense to realize that sliding facedown toward a wall that was 3 feet from the end of the stairs was a stupid idea, Priceless!

To make it even dumber, we slid facedown.  I went first.  Even though I severely banged the 'jewels' on each step on the way down, I maintained enough control to convince my cohorts that it was "Fun, You should try it!"

Maybe they should have noticed the higher pitch in my voice... oh well...

Drunk logic is amazing.  Also amzing is how the next day ALL drunk logic stories are preceded by the phrase "It sounded like a good idea at the time..."   [rolleyes]

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:49:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Denavir ointment, 1%.  Applied at the time of the itching, it prevents outbreak about 50% of the time; if the lesion does break out, it reduces the size and duration.  Be advised if this is truly herpes simplex, you're stuck with it for life.  It will hibernate in your trigeminal ganglion only to rear it's ugly head under periods of emotional or physical stress, or immune supression(such as a cold, hence the name).  Keep some Denavir on hand for the next time.

Dr. Shooter.

View Quote

Hey, doc!

I applied Abreva.  According to some sources it is used like Denavir (apply early for best results, if applied lated reduces duration, etc.)  Abreva has 10% Docosonal.

What is your opinion of the difference between the two?  Denavir = prescription, 30 bucks?

Abreva was 13.49, no prescription, just picked it up at Wal-Mart.

BTW, I have had cold sores off/on since I was a child and learned a long time ago that they were lifetime nuisance, but I never knew they had semi-effective treatments available.  Until today, of course.
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 12:51:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mine can't be 'genital' type because I have never had se...I mean, with human...I mean...you dont think sheep carry this disease...do they?
View Quote

Cleatus, that's baaaaaaaaaad, baaa, baaaad. [:X*]

Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There's new medicine called Abreva. $16.00 for a tiny tube, but it works great. Over the counter, no prescription.
View Quote
This stuff works good I get cold sores once a year and it drys them up quick. DON'T PIC IT WHAT EVER YOU DO!!!!!
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 2:02:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Canker vs. Cold sores

http://www.saveyoursmile.com/cankersorerelief/canker-sores/page3.html
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 8:34:35 PM EDT
[#28]
CARMEX salve, you can pick it up for $1.89 just about anywhere. --- Also Works great for small cuts, Burns or deep scratches  -- SUPER STUFF!! ---ALLONS11
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:01:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I myself use Denavir....I seen to get the 'cold sores' from emotional stress, as well as from excessive lip irritation......no stupid comments please

Anyone know of anything better than Denavir?
Link Posted: 11/6/2001 9:19:12 PM EDT
[#30]
I get mine on my tongue. It usually happens when there is a big change in the weather. Also, when my dentist put some braces on 4 teeth (didn;t really need them), I had outbreaks about once a week! That really pissed me off so I took off the braces and it stopped happening. The way I try to remove them is rubbing salt on them. It seems to work. I don;t know how I got it. Maybe kissing some girl or sharing a drink. I don't know.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:00:51 AM EDT
[#31]
this has been one of the more disgusting threads i've read lately.

I'm glad I don't have/carry/get anything even remotely close to whats been described here.

Lived in the Nevada desert for 19 years and never suffered any "sores" like that.  

I went into the local market not too long ago and saw a checker there that looked like she was hit in the face with a shovel [cold sores]. She is of questionable reputation, multiple kids, multiple partners. Too bad. When shes all healed up shes kinda cute.

Stop spreading this. [smash]
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:19:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Canker sores are not HSV.  Most canker sores are related to digestive upsets or dietary sensitivies.  Acidophilus (sp) taken twice a day usually clears up cankers in 48 hrs.
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 12:31:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Can you get Anthrax by having unprotected sex with a sheep?
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#34]
UPDATE:

The tingle is GONE!

There are some very, very tiny bumps, but I think this time the cold sores have been stopped COLD!

Thanks alot for the advice!

Abreva, Zinc lozenges, Vitamin C with Rose hips.

Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:12:38 AM EDT
[#35]
rainman

NOt everyone gets em- Mine seem to be hereditary or sheep related...

Please dont tell people to stop spreading the disease, and then say that a festering 'real' herpes case chick is cute...
Link Posted: 11/7/2001 6:22:38 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Are cold sores, fever blisters, and canker sores one and the same? I get the type that are [b]inside[/b] the mouth, not on my lips. Usually, if I accidentally bite the inside of my cheek, I will get one there a few days later.  It's pretty painful, especialy if salt is introduced into the equation.
View Quote

No.  Canker sores on the inside of your mouth are caused by something else.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top