Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/24/2001 11:49:45 PM EDT
Someone please enlighten me as to the meaning of ballistic coefficient.  I think it has something to do with a bullets ability to retain velocity and keep its ballitic course.  I heard the term used in reference to bullets decelerating from supersonic to subsonic velocities at specific ranges, which causes the bullet to destabilize.  A more scientific explaination would be greatly appreciated.  Here's a good opportunity to show off your wits gentlemen, let my enlightenment begin.
Link Posted: 10/25/2001 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#1]
The ballistic coefficient is a measurement of how well a projectile flys in the air. It relates the drag deceleration of a projectile to the drag deceleration of a standard bullet.

The higher the ballistic coefficient, the better the bullet performs in air.
(1) C = SD/i = w/id2

C = ballistic coefficient
w = weight of bullet, lbs.
i = form factor            
SD = secetional density
d = diameter of the bullet, in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top