Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 10:07:22 AM EDT
Hey, I am almost 17, am a junior in highschool, and thinking about ROTC for the USMC.  One thing bothered me though, I heard that if I join ROTC, in time of war, I am one of the last to go and fight, as are the members of the Naval Academy, AF academy, and Westpoint.  I really dont like the fact that joining ROTC will prohibit me from fighting when my brothers will be forced to do so.  Just because I am training to be an officer?

Other than that, it sounds like a good deal.  From what I understand, ROTC assists your college finances, which would be a bonus.  I have always wanted to join the USMC, and if I join ROTC, my college is for the most part taken care of, I get to join the Corps, and I get to join as an officer.  I dont see anything un-attractive about this deal.  

One question, is the term for serving on active duty after my four years of college/training 4 years or 6 years?  Either one is fine with me.  I figure, if I enjoy life as an officer, I will remain in the Corps for the long-haul, and from what I understand, the pension is quite nice.

I also figure, if I don't want to remain in the Marines, I will switch to the reserves after my required term, and join some sort of law-enforcment, particularly become a LEO, then apply for the FBI.  I know how many of you feel about LEO's and federal agents, but it IS a noble profession, and something I have long desired to do.

What do you think?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:10:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you taken your ASVAB?
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Haven't done anything but consider it, and talk to the recruiters at my school and on the phone a couple of times.  I wanted to get some second opinions before anything serious takes place.  My mom of course, does not want me to do anything involving the miltary.  My grandma is the same way.  My uncle doesnt like the idea, but said its a very noble thing to do and he would support it.  My cousins (who are all in college, and the PC type) think I am nuts.

My dad- "if you do it, we can take your set aside college money and get you that vette [79 L82 4 speed] you always wanted"

Thats my dads way of telling me he will support what I do no matter what.  He thinks its a good idea to serve the country, etc.  Hes told me he supported my ideas before, but I loved the one above the most.  Plus he said if I am going to join, we need to get a couple AR15's so I can have a better edge.  Already got the 92.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:24:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Take your ASVAB,see what you score and then decide. The services love a high score.

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:26:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Is there any way to prepare for the ASVAB?  What exactly does it involve?  I have heard about it, talked a bit about it, but am not too familiar with the content of it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:37:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Here's all the info you'll need for the different ROTC programs. There isn't one for the Marines cause they are part of the NAVY ROTC. They are just in denial that they are a part of the Navy. Ask any Marine where their paychecks come from. They would have to answer Dept. of the Navy.

Navy
[url]www.cnet.navy.mil/nrotc/nrotc.htm[/url]

Air Force
[url]www.afrotc.com/[/url]

Army
[url]www.armyrotc.com/[/url]

Overview
[url]www.todaysmilitary.com/chart_mil_rotc.html[/url]

Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:48:21 AM EDT
[#6]
[url]www.goarmy.com/util/asvab.htm[/url]

[url]www.todaysmilitary.com/explore_asvab.shtml[/url]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess I should have said I plan on joining ROTC with the intent of joining the Marines.  I know about the Navy/Marines thing.  Thats why theres no "Marine Corps Academy".

My sisters ex is at the Naval Academy right now with the intent of joining the Marines.  He is truely a beast, I am proud to know him.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 11:21:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Yep, we are a Dept of the Navy, the Men’s' Dept.  Last time I looked my paycheck came from DFAS and not the DON, since military pay comes from DOD vice any single Dept.

If you are going to be an officer, there is no need to take an ASVAB.  NROTC will only care about either your SAT or ACT scores.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#9]
One thing - when I was in Army ROTC, not everyone was comissioned as an officer when they graduated.  You had a couple of comissions that everyone competed for.  If you didn't get it then you were just required to enlist for the specified amount of time (kind of like a reverse GI bill).  On the other hand, if you finish college first and then join the Marines you can join as an officer.  Or you can join the FBI since it sounds like you are interested in that.  Just my .02
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 12:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
What is a high score on the ASVAB?  I want to compare mine.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 5:19:47 PM EDT
[#11]
DO IT!  I did AFROTC and it was the best decision I ever made.  Within 60 days of graduation with a BA I had commission, guarenteed pay of 40k as a 2nd LT (with Captain to follow b/c of guarenteed rank up to Capt) then making 50k with all medical, ect paid for.  Stable job (important with layoffs and such)  Drop me a line if you want more info.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:07:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Marksman,

ROTC is a great way to go if you are interested in serving as an Officer in the Armed Forces.  I went through Army ROTC in college and was commissioned in 1996.  

All ROTC programs offer scholarships to prospective students...if your grades are good and your SAT score is high, you will be in a good position to get one.  They offer all types, from full rides, to partials.  In the Army, you generally have an eight year commitment, but this is both Active and Reserve time.  Depending on the type of commission you get, your active duty time will vary. Marines Officers, however, are required to be on Active Duty for four years I believe.  In the Army, you can be commissioned directly into the reserves and only serve on Active Duty for your initial training, or if your unit is activated. This is the route that I took, as I met my wife in college and my plans changed drastically.  In addition to any scholarship money you recieve, in Army ROTC, you will get a monthy "stipend" to help pay for your military expenses...when I was in college it worked out to about $150.00 a month.

The Marine Corps also offers a commissioning source known as the Platoon Leaders Course.  It is done during the summers of your Junior and Senior years in college, for six weeks at a time in Quantico, VA.  Once you finish school and PLC, you are commissioned as a 2LT in the Marines and go on Active Duty from there.  This is a good way to go if you aren't interested in Navy ROTC, or the school you are going to doesn't offer it. I'm not sure if they offer scholarships for this type of program though.

Being an Army Officer, I would suggest you look closely at the Army as well...you will be better equipped and supported than the Marines, have more opportunities for various types of command and units, and also have the opportunity to get into units that have the same Esprit and high speed attitude that the Marines have (Rangers, SF, Airborne, etc.).    

Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:23:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Enlist in the Marines.
Do your best, take a few college courses, then try for the Enlisted Commisioning Program.
The Marines will then send you to college as a ROTC.

Or...

Enlist in the Marine Reserves.
Go to college, and participate in the PLC program.

Either way, enlist first.
(PLC gives you the most freedom, and is the most challenging)
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:32:59 AM EDT
[#14]
After being edged out of competition for the Naval Academy, I did NROTC at LSU/SU for a year (without scholarship b/c they screwed up my paperwork)
Anyway, I did a lot of training with the marine midshipmen and I had a BLAST. Marksman, go NROTC and you will not be dissapointed. The officer programs have just been restructured under STA-21 and you chances of becoming officer after enlisting decrease significantly.
I garuantee it will be the best thing you can do. I unfortunatly enlisted in the Navy before finishing NROTC and am now unable to any officer programs b/c of the new programs.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 7:41:18 AM EDT
[#15]
PLC.
NROTC requires that you jump through all sorts of NAVY hoops that do nothing towards making you a better officer.
PLC.
The Officer Selection Officer that you deal with for PLC, will ask that you meet once a month (sometimes in a Bar).  No bullshit. No marching around campus with a uniform that you don't yet rate.

Without a doubt, the best Marine Officers that I served with (many of whom, but not all, were prior enlisted)were products of the PLC program.  
The worst were Naval Academy Graduates. NROTC were a little better than USNA guys.
There were exceptions, of course.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 8:00:29 AM EDT
[#16]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top