Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2001 4:01:06 AM EDT
In order not to detract from another post I have started this one.

The original topic WAS [U]Great White Men in American History[/U]

Now, let me go copy some of the other responses over here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quoted:

Lets not forget Dr. Charles Drew the inventor of both Open Heart Surgery AND the first SUCCESSFUL organ transplant.........but I suppose THATS not important! Is it?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Was it you or AK-AR man I explained this to already?
About "why" a black man was chosen to perform the first OHS...
Lemme go dig up a link for you.
Let's just say there were certian liability issues in SA at the time, that didn't exactly apply to those under apartied.

As far as a black man being a researcher on teh team that invented semi-conducters, I didn't know that. Exactly what was the black/white ratio on that team?

Loincloths, fire, steam couplings, peanut butter, a partial interest in Semi-Conducters...

It's still a loooooooooooooooooooooong walk.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:17:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

If you spend a day using only Black inventions, you would be sleeping in the rain wearing a loincloth under a tree holding a steam coupling and eating only peanut-butter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:24:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Now, I [B]WILL[/B] return to address the first post as I have to 1)find the article in my files at home, and 2)Post when I return to work as for the time being I don't have internet access at home (see my post as of a month ago regarding credit fraud).

For now, i'll address the second post from I_Luv_Carrots.

[B]If[/B] you were to spend a day [B]NOT[/B] using black inventions, you would (see following post):
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:28:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Not have use of certain types of electronic devices with require the use of certain types of precision resistors, as some circuits require resistors with certain tolerances or certain thermal-electrical charistics. Thanks to:

[I]
Otis Boykin, invented an improved electrical resistor used in computers - radios - television sets  and a variety of electronic devices. Boykin's resistor helped reduce the cost of those products. Otis Boykin also invented a variable resistor used in guided missile parts, a control unit for heart stimulators, a burglar-proof cash register and a chemical air filter.
After graduating from Fisk University and the Illinois Institute of Technology, Otis Boykin worked in a laboratory testing automatic controls for airplanes. He later worked as a consultant for several firms and as a successful inventor. Boykin died of a heart failure in 1982.

He is responsible for inventing the electrical device used in all guided missles and IBM computers.
[/I]

[URL]http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/blboykin.htm[/URL]

Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Would [B]you[/B] like to live without some of his inventions?

Agricultural chemist, George Washington Carver invented peanut butter along with over three hundred uses for peanuts and hundreds more uses for soybeans, pecans and sweet potatoes. Countless products we enjoy today come to us by the way of Carver. Only three patents were every issued to him, but among his listed discoveries are: adhesives, axle grease, bleach, buttermilk, chili sauce, fuel briquettes, ink, instant coffee, linoleum, mayonnaise, meat tenderizer, metal polish, paper, plastic, pavement, shaving cream, shoe polish, synthetic rubber, talcum powder and wood stain

[I should add that parchment (which was yellow in color) was the predecessor to modern paper]

[URL]http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa041897.htm[/URL]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:56:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Do you plan to kill all of your meat locally?
Do think about having it trucked in from any distance or having any other perishable goods trucked in.

Frederick Jones - Invented refrigeration systems for trucks.

His company:
[URL]http://www.thermoking.com/[/URL]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top