Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 4:46:52 AM EDT
Trying to run carnivores3:Ice Age on a Win2000 system with 128meg ram, 1.4ghz Intel chip, (1) 12gig hd.  I get this error:  Heap Allocation Error.  

Happens as soon as I click the icon to run the game.  Same error on Carnivores2 BUT only after I hit the "Hunt" button from the main menu.  Guessing, I'd say it has something to do with video but I am bot sure.  the vid card is a TNT2 Riva 16meg card.  (Macine type is a Dell Optiplex GX400)  

I know we have a few Tech/game guys out there...HELP!!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:08:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Trying to run carnivores3:Ice Age on a Win2000 system with 128meg ram, 1.4ghz Intel chip, (1) 12gig hd.  I get this error:  Heap Allocation Error.  

Happens as soon as I click the icon to run the game.  Same error on Carnivores2 BUT only after I hit the "Hunt" button from the main menu.  Guessing, I'd say it has something to do with video but I am bot sure.  the vid card is a TNT2 Riva 16meg card.  (Macine type is a Dell Optiplex GX400)  

I know we have a few Tech/game guys out there...HELP!!
View Quote

Eric, try the latest Detonator drivers (reference drivers).

After many problems like this, I had to go ahead and upgrade to the g-Force 2 MX400 64MB card (buy a name brand!!!) for $150, check the HCL (hardware compatability list) at [url]www.microsoft.com[/url].

This could also be a sound card issue, as mine still has some problems. I will bite the bullet in the next months and buy the SoundBlaster Live!X-Gamer for $100.

900MhZ Athlon T-Bird, 256MB DDR Ram, 2x 13.5 GB HDDs, CD-ROM burner, 52x CD-ROM, WinME (got tired of Win2KPro being a beta OS)

Don Out

To clarify my sound card posit, some of the games I play load drivers for EAS, that are not compatable with my card- older card IS on the HCL, but new drivers not avail.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
All of the usual

Update your Win 2000 patches and service packs

Check the web site of your video card for new drivers for your specific card

Doubt its the sound card because it crashes when you try to load the game.

Check the game website for fixes/patches for your specific game/OS

Dell usually has all of this in one spot for ya if you type in your machine Service tag #
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:19:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Forgot to mention:  If you guys like hunting games then you gotta get the Carnivores series 1-3.  #3 is where you hunt Ice Age animals like Wooly Mammoth, Rhinos, Yeti, etc...awesome stuff.

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Forgot to mention:  If you guys like hunting games then you gotta get the Carnivores series 1-3.  #3 is where you hunt Ice Age animals like Wooly Mammoth, Rhinos, Yeti, etc...awesome stuff.

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:28:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm saving up for a hunting game called "Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear [:D][:D][:D}
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:50:57 PM EDT
[#6]
128 megs of Ram is low for Win 2000. The OS uses about 90 megs by itself. That leaves only 38 megs for your applications and games. Try upgrading to at least 256+ megs.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:54:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Heap allocation means that there wasn't enough Sh!t installed on Win2k and it feels lonely.  Install more programs and try again.  
[}:)]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Heap allocation means that there wasn't enough Sh!t installed on Win2k and it feels lonely.  Install more programs and try again.  
[}:)]
View Quote

LOL!!! Should submit this to TechNet- as valid as their def.!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
OK I talked to a true Win2k Guru and got the low-down.  

Heap allocation error- relates to the way Win2k manages memory.  Most games like to access memory and hardware directly.  Win2k hates to give up memory.  You can see where this is going... On most games Win2k "fools" the game into thinking that it IS accessing it directly but carnivores3 seems to be one that is written in a way that Win2k doesn't fool it.  Oh well.  Thanks for the help guys.

I am gonna swap drives (slave-master), install win98se on the slave, swap back, then set it up for dual boot.  I'll run 98se when I want to play any game that Win2k wont support.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:36:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Replace the video card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top