Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Who watches Anime? (Page 2 of 742)
Page / 742
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 5:30:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -RotorDemon-] [#1]
I watch very little Anime but I have seen a few episodes of Black Lagoon..

Fucking rocks!

ETA: Page 3 is brought to you by:

<--------
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 5:46:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DragoMuseveni] [#2]
I'm not afraid to admit I'm an otkau, but cosplay is a line I will never ever cross.

I have seen the following:

Neon Genesis Evangelion+ End of Eva( Best anime of all time )
Elfen Lied (Body count at 25 in the first 5 minutes . Blood flowing in the halls. Not for those with a weak constitution)
Cowboy Bebop + The moive (I must buy the new remix edition with 5.1 doby digital sound.)
Crest of the Stars/Banner of the Stars
Gundam Wing
Carried by the Wind
Full Metal Panic (the entire Series )
Goddannar
Maburaho
MadLax
Tenjo Tenge
Mahoromatic
Paranoia Agent
Serial Experiments Lain
X
Tenchi Muyo(the entire 7 disk OVA)
Parallel Dual!
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Ma
RahXephon
Noir
Excel Saga
Love Hina
Peacemaker
Gunslinger Girl
Hellsing
FLCL

Just to name a few.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I am a Anime watcher and a gamer.

Pushing 300 gigs of shows right now, not including my modest dvd collection.

If y-all like Hellsing, look into Hellsing Ultimate.  A little closer to the Manga.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 7:48:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Ninja Scroll
Devil Man
Wicked City
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 7:51:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I watched Dragon Ball Z when it was on cartoon network. Also watched the original Dragon Ball (but it wasn't as interesting - and it was pretty dated too - I'm sure all of those were made back in the 80's or something).

DBZ was good though - I especially liked the Cell character. Dragon Ball GT didn't impress me much either though.

I've never really gotten into it other than DBZ. I suppose I could, but I wouldn't know where to start.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 7:59:27 AM EDT
[#6]
I have loved Anime and Manga since I first stumbled across Robotech in the mid 1980s. I liked Kimba too but I hardly count that as true Anime.

Robotech (also Macross... and make sure you pick up the new Robotech movie on DVD, it's quite well done) was the first "kid" storyline that had permanence ... characters died and they were treated with respect. There was even a love triangle (I may have been a little bit in love with Lisa Hayes) in and amongst all the giant robot gallantry.

Even though I can't read a lick of Japanese, I have a pile of "Hobby Japan" and other Japanese magazines because they always had the coolest new robots.

As for other series and movies, I have GiTS (and I'm a HUGE Shirow fan), and have a few other OAV movies that I need to re-watch as their name escapes me right now. Patlabor, etc.

Adult Swim needs to get back to what made its Anime block a success: Giant Robots.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:06:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Apharmd] [#7]
I've seen a few:

Evangelion (includes Death and Rebirth & EoE)
Patlabor & movies 1&2
Hellsing (want a Seras)
Hellsing OVA (based on the manga, which I collect too)
Love Hina
Blood: The Last Vampire
Macross 2
Macross Plus (anyone good with AI?hostAD Police
Shadow Skill the movie Part 1
Full Metal Alchemist
Street Fighter II
Violence Jack
Landlock
Fist of the North Star
Tenchi Muyo
Gundam Wing

That's about it.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Gundam Wing
Vampire Hunter D
Robotech
Star Blazers---the whole series
Casshan--Robot Hunter( very kick ass anime)
Neon Evangelion
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:22:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: band-aid-master] [#9]
OLD SCHOOL

Speed racer (God, how I wanted my own Mach 5)
Battle of the Planets (aka Science Ninja Team Gatchaman)
Starblazers
Robotech
Voltron

NEW SCHOOLl

Akira
Ghost in the Shell (both movies, and SAC)
Cowboy Bebop (never saw anime that made me actually care about the characters until this one)
Samurai Champloo
Wich Hunter Robin

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:39:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DK-Prof] [#10]
Seriously - am I the only person who watches Inuyasha?  I think that show is awesome!  

Crap. Even the nerds are going to call me a nerd now.

In my defense, I also really like stuff like:

The Old Macross series, and the later Robotech
Some of the Gundam stuff is pretty fun
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Cowboy Beebop
Trigun
Nausicaa (although the books were a million times better)
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:52:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: macman37] [#11]
Gundam 0080 is really good.

I really enjoyed Tenchi Muyo when it was on Adult Swim.

Escaflowne too.

I'm overdue for my watching of "Akira".

I did not like "Ninja Scroll" or "Princess Mononoke" but love "Nausicaa" - I agree w/DKProf, the books were amazing.

Cowboy Bebop was fun the few episodes I caught.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:55:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I've seen Trigun a few times, but I love Cowboy BeBop.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
Seriously - am I the only person who watches Inuyasha?  I think that show is awesome!  

IIIINNUUUUUUUYAAAAAAASHHHHHAAAAAAAAA!

KAGOOOOOOOMEEEEEE!

KAGOOOOOOOMEEEEEE!

<sexual innuendo>

I just saved you 3 days.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Macross is the end-all-be-all of anime. (All hail the hory froating head!)

Others:
FMP
GSC
GITS
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Gundam (UC)
Patlabor
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#15]
watch BLEACH.... you can catch all the shows on youtube.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By LHD:

KAGOOOOOOOMEEEEEE!

KAGOOOOOOOMEEEEEE!

<sexual innuendo>

I just saved you 3 days.  

Like I said - awesome!  
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to watch Robotech all the time when I was younger and I had Rick Hunter's VF-1J toy.  I never really understood the story or the more adult plot twists back then, but I was pretty devastated when Roy Fokker bought it.  More recently I've delved into the Macross series.  

I also used to watch Ghost in the Shell on Adult Swim which I enjoyed, but I haven't seen it in a few years. On occasion I watched Full Metal Alchemist, but I never really got into that one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:20:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HK_Shooter_03] [#18]
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By Postal0311:
Well I am a Anime watcher and a gamer.

Pushing 300 gigs of shows right now, not including my modest dvd collection.

If y-all like Hellsing, look into Hellsing Ultimate.  A little closer to the Manga.

DAMN!!!
I only have mabye 80 Gigs of anime on my computer and big chunk of that is Naruto and Bleach.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#20]

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:

Originally Posted By HK_Shooter_03:

Originally Posted By ArmdLbrl:

Also, Macross Plus takes all:

you know, for a twelve year old show it really DOES hold up well both in SFX and story.

I wish they had kept it up.

I wonder what they could accomplish now.

Do you know why they dropped it with only one DVA? (I know it was a spin-off)

Its all the longer it was designed to run.

Remember Macross 7 was on TV in Japan at the time and Macross Plus was made to attract the hard core adult fans of the original, serious Macross who were put off by the "kiddyfied" comedic 7.  But the production team did not beleve there were enough hard sci-fi fans for a longer series and adults simply don't buy enough merchandising.
Plus markets outside Japan was not a consideration in 1994 and nor was 24hr satellite or cable markets.

Macross Zero has been made since as a "prequil".  But I haven't seen it yet, though its in my que in Netflix.

I don't think you can get it legally (Not on Netflix).

I watched a fan sub and it was so-so. Nothing can compare to Macross plus but, it was pretty good considering the hiatus. It did blow Shadow Chronicles away but that wouldn't be too hard to do anyway...

(It's on youtube)
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:32:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By HK_Shooter_03:

Originally Posted By s32:

Originally Posted By Rampant_Colt:
who would win in h2h combat

1.) star trekkie

2.) anime-geek

3.) furries

4.) gamers

5.) emos

i'd put my $5 on the gamers

Bitch I bench press like 235 pounds!!!  

But all the other anime guys are scrawny as fuck.  I went to my university's anime club meeting.  All the guy's were about 130 punds and all the girls were 200 pounds.

I'm not in super great shape right now but that's going to change when I start up NROTC this summer.

I have a 12:40ish two mile time, a 235 PRT and a 325(/300) APFT.

Alrighty you can join my anime club/militia.
We need to stockpile Manga and mags for SHTF.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:35:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheCynic] [#22]
'Tis my weakness.

I guess that I an atypical fan: I don't really game (never played an actual online game - LAN games at work notwithstanding), hate Star Wars and LOTR, and have no other "dorky" hobbies. Hell, I spend most of my time woodworking and golfing.

But I love me some anime. Damn you AdultSwim for sucking me in with FLCL about four years ago.

Originally Posted By Master_of_Orion:
75% is decent 25% is perverse ... not the other way around.

Au contraire, mon frère. I would say that this may be true of the stuff licensed in America, but it is probably the other way around for the totality of anime.

What percentage of the shit that is released in Japan is actually anime adaptations of H-games? Or dating-sims?
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:40:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alien] [#23]

Originally Posted By www-glock19-com:
99% of it is fucking retarded or just plain perverted

I will however admit i like Ghost In The Shell

the movie and the series

+1

I don't really mean to shit on your thread, but I've never understood the appeal of most anime. I watched Robotech as a kid. That's about it. I sat through a few episodes of some weird ass show called Death Note with a friend who's a big anime fan/watcher. I had to leave after a few episodes. I just could not get into it. So much weird shit that somebody on acid made up. Yeah this guy can think 63% (or some other percentage, I can't remember) better when he's sitting crouched over knees into chest. Who the fuck thought that up? And why is it some specific number? Nevermind these dead zombie angel guys that kill people.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:41:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Not me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Originally Posted By macman37:

Saw that the other day, damn that was weird.

I still liked it, but there was an ever present feeling of "WTF..."

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#26]
A few I have not seen mentioned, mostly rather rough, PG13 at the least
Speed Grapher - Decent story, very dark and perverse setting
Gantz - Nearly up there with Elfen Lied for blood and gore

And more kid friendly
Outlaw Star - think Cowboy Bebop light
Haibane Renmei - slow, but really really pretty
Last Exile - gets a bit rough at the end, but otherwise good for kids
Eureka 7 - "Space" opera, worth watching if you can get over the whole "Mechs surfing in the sky?  WTF?" factor
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:44:28 AM EDT
[#27]

Favorite directors?

Satoshi Kon
Makoto Shinkai

Favorite Studios?

Gonzo
Bones
Kyoto Animation

Favorite Composer?
<<< Yoko Kano

Agreed. The only one I know.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:48:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Cowboy Bebop
Hellsing + OAV
Ghost in the shell 1 & 2
Gundam wing + Endless watlz
Jin roh
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:51:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By Rampant_Colt:
Hey, didn't i kick sand in your face and take your lunch money last summer?  
No you must have me confused with someone else I'm the guy who pounded the shit out of your girl while you were away.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:53:38 AM EDT
[#30]
I watched one good anime movie once.  The rest is honestly complete and utter shit.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#31]
All I've really seen is Gungrave and Vandread.

(Discovered while flipping channels.)

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I've seen some anime, but I'm not into/obsessed with it like some of my friends are.  I've seen parts of or all of the following:

Bebop (series and movie)
Trigun
Dominion Tank Police
Escaflowne
Naruto
Ghost In The Shell SAC
Hellsing
Mononoke No Hime

Some of my friends watch some really dumb shit, like this show called Eyeshield 21 or something.  Some dumb anime about football.  And this one show called Prince of Tennis; best part about it was when the main character killed his idiotic self in the end.  The intro music for that show is so fucking terrible and emo.  Just thinking about it makes me want to cut the producers' wrists.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By NME:

Yeah, there tends to be a "WTF" moment in most Anime movies.

One of my favorite movies of all time (and I forgot to mention it before) is "The Wings of Honneamise" ... which is a phenominal movie, with a great sense of humor. Then the main character tries to force himself on a girl.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:02:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: legonas] [#34]
this thread cannot exist without me!

i have seen more anime then anyone here!

i have many terabytes worth!

i use to keep a list of everything ive seen but i havnt updated it since 05

i couldnt even list everything i have seen. to much to remember.

i dont even own a tv. all i watch is anime

i spent sunday and monday watching all of eureka seven. all 50 eps

edit: ive had to slow down becuase my dvd burner broke and i refuse to delete anything ive watched. i keep it all. im running out of HDD space. only 30gb left. got to get a new one soon.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:08:09 PM EDT
[#35]
-Evangelion
-Cowboy Bebop
-His and Her Circumstances

Nowadays, I don't watch Anime anymore because I can't understand it... it's gotten more and more cheap/cheasy, and can't find anime with the same gravitas and artistic integrity as the above listed anime. If you know of series of equal AAA caliber... tell me!

Other than that i've got about 5 gigs of H-Anime. Thank you rapidshare!

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#36]
I was thinking of starting a Arfcom confessional thread one day.  Where you could admit that you listen to techno, drive a japanese car, watch anime, wear flipflops with jeans, crocs, etc etc etc.  Fill in the blanks for whatever it is currently being called ghey on arfcom that week.

I got over that idea tho.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Alien:

the movie and the series

+1

I don't really mean to shit on your thread, but I've never understood the appeal of most anime. I watched Robotech as a kid. That's about it. I sat through a few episodes of some weird ass show called Death Note with a friend who's a big anime fan/watcher. I had to leave after a few episodes. I just could not get into it. So much weird shit that somebody on acid made up. Yeah this guy can think 63% (or some other percentage, I can't remember) better when he's sitting crouched over knees into chest. Who the fuck thought that up? And why is it some specific number? Nevermind these dead zombie angel guys that kill people.

You no likey the Death Note?

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:19:39 PM EDT
[#38]

Originally Posted By s32:

the movie and the series

+1

You no likey the Death Note?

i40.photobucket.com/albums/e221/Stortstrom/Theee_Deaaath_Nooote_by_spacecoyote.jpg

death note is the shit. your not understanding L. he isnt really smarter when he sits like that. he is the equivilent of "monk"  from the tv show. and the dead zombie angels are shinagami, death gods.

death note is one of the best anime's i have ever seen. its based on a manga and their is also a live action movie as well.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:29:43 PM EDT
[#39]

Originally Posted By gazukull:
I was thinking of starting a Arfcom confessional thread one day.  Where you could admit that you listen to techno Current Music: DJ Luna-C - Superset 3, drive a japanese car my Nissan is out in the parking lot, watch anime well, I'm not watchin it right now, wear flipflops with jeans I only wear BDU's and jungle boots, crocs, etc etc etc.  Fill in the blanks for whatever it is currently being called ghey on arfcom that week.

I got over that idea tho.

I think I failed that test.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#40]

I sat through a few episodes of some weird ass show called Death Note with a friend who's a big anime fan/watcher. I had to leave after a few episodes. I just could not get into it. So much weird shit that somebody on acid made up.

Them is fighting words.

For its genre, Death Note is about as good as it gets. If you can't get into that, you shouldn't bother with anything else.

(I still think the show peaked when you-know-who died, but I haven't finished it yet, so I'll reserve final judgment).
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:31:41 PM EDT
[#41]

In my defense, I also really like stuff like:

The Old Macross series, and the later Robotech
Some of the Gundam stuff is pretty fun
Ghost in the Shell
Appleseed
Cowboy Beebop
Trigun
Nausicaa (although the books were a million times better)

Ive seen most of Inu Yasha!  It is good, but I like most of Rumiko Takahashi's stuff.  I even admit to being entertained by Mason Ikoku, mostly because I WAS a broke college student myself at the time I was watching it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:40:28 PM EDT
[#42]

Gundam 0080 is really good.

I really enjoyed Tenchi Muyo when it was on Adult Swim.

Escaflowne too.

I did not like "Ninja Scroll" or "Princess Mononoke" but love "Nausicaa" - I agree w/DKProf, the books were amazing.

Cowboy Bebop was fun the few episodes I caught.

Ah Gundam 0080- Greek tragady in space, I actually wept at the end.

Escaflowne, is a classic one of the must see anime even though its ten years old now.

I own Viz's Nausicaa Perfect Collection 4 volume set- you know it took Myazaki 16 years to complete that manga and it almost gave him a nervous breakdown.  

You definently need to get all of Beebop and the movie.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:41:21 PM EDT
[#43]
Dope smokers??
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:42:02 PM EDT
[#44]

Originally Posted By NME:

Its considered a classic, and one of the few anime that most western movie critics will give the time of day too, but I did not find it entertaining.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:50:10 PM EDT
[#45]

Originally Posted By TheCynic:
'Tis my weakness.

I guess that I an atypical fan: I don't really game (never played an actual online game - LAN games at work notwithstanding), hate Star Wars and LOTR, and have no other "dorky" hobbies. Hell, I spend most of my time woodworking and golfing.

But I love me some anime. Damn you AdultSwim for sucking me in with FLCL about four years ago.

75% is decent 25% is perverse ... not the other way around.

Au contraire, mon frère. I would say that this may be true of the stuff licensed in America, but it is probably the other way around for the totality of anime.

What percentage of the shit that is released in Japan is actually anime adaptations of H-games? Or dating-sims?

Anime is like any other media, 80-90 percent is crap.  Now sometimes it may be FUNNY crap (intentonally or not) and therefore entertaining at least once, but its still crap.  And unless you are willing to read subtitles, probably more than 90 percent of the English dub work is crap.  Its like watching the original Japanese version is forbidden to US voice actors and directors.

There are exceptions.  Macross Plus had a good English dub (very surprising considering how long ago it was released).  Ranma 1/2 had a good dub, Cowboy Beebop is a very good dub and I have had a number of very picky fans I know tell me they think the English version actually fits the mood better than the voice acting in the Japanese version.  Strawberry Marshmallow has a very good English dub, one of the few I watch always in English.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#46]

Because golfing isn't a dorky hobby?

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Eva and Beebop

My daughter got me started on these - Eva when she was about 12.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 1:14:35 PM EDT
[#48]

Originally Posted By TexasRifleman:

Hell, I spend most of my time woodworking and golfing.

Because golfing isn't a dorky hobby?

There are 40 million golfers in the United States. That is a lot of dorks.

Link Posted: 5/29/2007 1:19:03 PM EDT
[#49]

Originally Posted By jhasz:
Eva and Beebop

Hope she didn't watch the movies.

The ending of the series scarred me, lol. Had to watch the directors own anti-depressing solution to Eva "His and Her Circumstance" to cheer me up.

I was a moody and easily influenced teenager.
Link Posted: 5/29/2007 1:25:57 PM EDT
[#50]

Originally Posted By jhasz:

So she could totally relate to the "RAWR! TEEN ANGST!"

Of course, when you realize that the entire series is an autobiographical piece about Hideki Anno's own psychosis, it starts making more sense.
Page / 742
Who watches Anime? (Page 2 of 742)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top