Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/2/2001 12:09:36 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations for a pocket folder knife. What works best for you guys?

It's gonna be in my right front pocket. 4-5 inch blade strikes me as just right and it has to have a black finish (handle/blade.) I work on an ambulance, wear dark olive drab pants so the black clip hides nicely at night. I'll spend up to $130 for it. I know a lot of it is personal taste, but I value everyone's advice. Honest.

MOD? Emerson? Benchmade?

Thanx

Sherm
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I recommend the Benchmade BM942SBT designed by Warren Osborne. You can get it at www.1sks.com for about 130 or a smidge over that in all black. The ArcLock rocks and the scales are aircraft aluminum over a titanium liner. The modified Tanto oint should serve you well. Its my second favorite folder:

[url]http://www.1sks.com/store/benchmade-model-940-warren-osborne-axis-lock.html[/url]

I also recommend a Microtech socom fullsize  over even the Benchmade (or anything else for that matter, but you aint gonna get that one  for 130 bones, can find them for between 185 and 200 though. Toughest problem is its now out of production and very hard to find in all black. Its my Favorite folder:

[url]http://www.knifestuff.com/microtech/socom/socom_ma.htm[/url]

Gonna get flamed out the wazzu on this, but I have never PERSONALLY cared for Emerson. Very good and tough as nails, though, and I have friends in LE that SWEAR by them. You should be fine with any of the three brands you mentioned. Most importantly, go and hold each knife you consider, and get the one that feels best to you. Good Luck and stay safe!
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:48:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been thinking along the same line lately,so far ,the SOG Pentagon Elite II,or Gerber's Applegate Fairburn.I have'nt decided on which one yet.Check them both out and let me know what you think. You can get the SOG for around 79.00 and the Gerber runs about 116.00.Also the AL-MAR SERE Folder is nice but a bit more expensive.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:53:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 12:54:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Benchmade - they have various types of blades and locking mechanisms, your preference may vary, but I'm very happy with my McHenry & Williams.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I got my Kershaw for the meat wagon too. Mine is the black out model with black finish and assisted opening (serrated is nice for seat belts in a pinch). It opens as fast as an auto knife, too.

Forgot to mention: it costs about $60.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got benchmades, berettas, bucks, colts,etc. But I usually carry a Columbia River.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:15:40 PM EDT
[#7]
You need a Benchmade AFCK.

It's inexpensive enough to be used as a real tool.

It has a drop tip blade so it is actually functional.

You can get it in black.

It is rugged and dependable enough for years of hard use.

My friend has one of the mass produced Emersons and it doesn't hold a candle to my AFCK.

Yes an Emerson custom is nicer, than any Benchmade, but I can have a collection of them for the price of one custom.

If you have to have a chisel point, you can get a CQB if they still make them.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:20:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a Kershaw Whirlwind (ks-1560) and I'm very pleased with it.  Was under $60 after tax and the assited opening is as fast as any autofolder.  It takes me longer to get it off my belt than it does to open it.  One handed operation was the biggest criteria in selecting the knife.

The Kershaw Blackout (ks-1550 I think) is almost identical to the Whirlwind except it's blade is black finished.  Everything else is identical, and both come in normal or partially serrated blades.  For the money, I can't think of a better knife.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 1:36:42 PM EDT
[#9]
1)Benchmade Auto Elishewitz Tanto.  I love it and have about worn mine out.

2)Gerber Harsey Air Frame.  Excellent maker,  excellent design.  Great Knife.

3)Gerber Harsey Air Ranger.  Excellent Knife, Great price.

Overall though, hold out for the auto,  you'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I have about a half dozen knives that I alternate, depending on what I am wearing and what I will be doing.

I echo Hipower on the Benchmade AFCK. An excellent all around folder.

The Spyderco Endura is flat and light, and has a reversible clip. I often carry it in my left rear pocket for easy off-hand access. The Spyderco Chinook is a real big dog, you could almost chop wood with it. Not something you'd want to hang on your dress slacks.

But the ultimate knife is the one that feels best in your pocket and in your hand. Most gun shows have several knife vendors. Check them out.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:33:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I carry the Benchmade AFCK daily.  I got mine for $95, new, because it was a lefthanded model with the old round hole.  It is a really versatile knife.

I am saving for an left handed Emerson Commander.  I have checked them out and I really like the "Wave" feature.  From the pocket, its extremely fast and easy to deploy the blade.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 3:42:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Benchmade 975 ... too bad they don't make'em anymore.

Ryan
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 5:52:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for the CRKT M16 series.  I have a M16-02Z that I recently purchased to replace my Spyderco Delica.  I was at the Smokey Mountain Knife works and was trying to decide between a SOG and a Benchmade.  The old man that was helping me told me that in his opinion, Columbia River Knife and Tool made the best tactical folders at any price.  He talked me out of a $100 knife and into a $50 knife.  I have been happy since.  I recommend you take a look at the M16 Law Enforcement or Military series.  Ceck out [url]www.crkt.com[/url] and [url]www.eknifeworks.com[/url].  Even if you don't go with the CRKT, you can save some serious bucks at Smokey Mountain Knife Works.
Link Posted: 10/2/2001 6:19:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Since you mentioned a Combat Folder, I assume you want it for defense, not a working knife.
I carry a Emerson Commander every day, all day.
I cannot think of a knife that is opened faster from the pocket. That includes auto`s.
The clip that grabs the corner of your pocket presents an open knife as soon as it clears the pocket.

I dont want to be stuck again, so I only carry it for self defense and thus remains factory sharp. I carry a working blade for chores.
Handiest knife I carry???? Those stupid little Swiss Army knives that fit on a key chain. It`s always there and stays sharp.

Link Posted: 10/2/2001 7:39:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I' ve got a ton of knives bechmade MOD microtech. I think some aready said this, but I carry CRKT m16 or a kasper. can't beat the price they look and feel like my 150 dollar kives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top